Notices

Kumho V710's, can these be flipped on the wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Kumho V710's, can these be flipped on the wheels?

Going to pick up a set of used v710's from someone in a week or so. Ive been dying to try an r-compound and figure this is a great way to do so cheaply.

Anyhow i was wondering, these tires have about 60 runs through them already. The seller suggested i might be able to get even more life out of them by flipping them on the rim. I was just wondering however, is there any problem with doing this or does it not matter. Are the v710's a 'side facing outwards' type tire?

Also these will be going on a set of 16x7 and 16x8 wheels. The tires are the same sizes, 225/50/16. Do you guys reckon it would be a bad idea to maybe swap the 16x8's into the front one event and run the 16x7's on the rear?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

no problems flipping and/or switching wheels.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Joe, thanks for the info!
Old 12-12-2006, 07:41 PM
fork_included
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

60 runs on 710's?

dont waste your money, unless he/she is selling them dirt cheap (like less than 30% of original cost)

710's are not a very long living tire, and their performance decreases with heat cycles considerably.

they are very good however when fresh.

=========

and on flipping tires, this is always good and helps extend the life a bit.

however again please note there are tires than can take lots of heat cycles and there are tires that cannot.

one could run out of heat cycles before running out of tread, likewise one could run out of tread before running out of heat cycles (like a toyo RA1, which will almost ALWAYS cord before they lose grip, and infact gain grip the more you wear them down)
Old 12-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

fork, i am getting them for roughly 10% of the price new. Ive read a few different posts about them on other forums that say the first 30 runs roughly are the best and most grippy..but i figure with 60 runs give or take i can still get a few more runs out of them with decent performance. Ive read a few people running 944 series cars have over 100+ runs on them and are still happy with the performance (though admit they are not as good as they used to be).

I figure if i can get half a season out of these and some time with a r-comp i would be happy. I was planning on buying a set of RA-1's this season, but if i can hold off the purchase of them a little later in the season it would be helpful on my budget. I know the RA-1 will never be as competitive a tire.. but the fact i could probably get a season and a half or two complete seasons out of them i can live with a little less competitiveness.

They should also be leaps and bounds over the 4 year old Yokohama A-008P's i was running this season. I finally corded them at the 2nd to last event.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:49 AM
fork_included
Pro

guys in my track racing time attack (solo 1 we call it here, like auto-cross only instead of a parking lot and pylons its a full race track)

anyway a typical season conists of 9 events, each event involves 20 in 4 heats + whatever lapping you can do.

all competitors that have used V710's have agreed that their performance goes downhill after about 4-5 events and if the tread lasts for the whole season lap times have been observed to drop as much as a second from the inital offering.

and these are people that run in 2300 lb civics, those competitors that want a constant edge usualy buy two sets for a whole season.

it would also depend on what you consider a "run", if it was 60 runs done consequitevly then it may not be so bad because it was only one heat cycle, however if it was 60 runs done in 20 segments then i wouldnt even bother with them.

but either way you will have LOTS of fun on treadless R-comps, whole different world than even the best "high performance" street tires.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:33 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I went to a NY autocross event and set FTD on run number 139th with an additional 1,000 street miles. Kumho V710. I've not corded one set yet.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:23 PM
fork_included
Pro

maybe you guys get different V710's in the states than we do in Canada
Old 12-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I went to a NY autocross event and set FTD on run number 139th with an additional 1,000 street miles. Kumho V710. I've not corded one set yet.
Yep, I believe there may have been three drivers in that car that day as well. IIRC you almost lost FTD to a girl that day.

Perhaps you got that many runs out of the tires because you and the other drivers of your car have a clue as to how to drive smooth and fast.

Jon, I think you were there too.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:54 PM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

We've found that V710s remain super super stick up to about 55 autocross runs or so, but for autocross, heat cycles are more telling. 55 runs translates into about seven events for us. After that they are still excellent, and we've run sets up over 100 runs with no cording.

10% of new for a set with 60 runs is a great deal. They'll easily last you for several more autocrosses. They might not be quite as fast as new, but it's not like you're going to nationals on them, are you? 'course not. So have fun!

I would not run the wider wheels up front - I suspect the handling would be pretty strange like that.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the helpful info everyone. I picked up the tires a couple days ago and am very excited to use them come March or April when things start up again.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:12 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

I almost bought your tires out from under you. Then Dan told me he thought you might be getting them from the same guy. I checked and it turned out your were.

I was going to offer him a bit more to forget about the "other guy" who he wasn't sure was still interested.

How do they look?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Matt, you know me and used tires. You cant break the cycle like that!

I think i may be able to get an entire season out of these. Whats funny is the inside shoulder has literally no wear at all, it looks like the rubber hasn't even touched the ground. The outter shoulders are worn but would probably last me fine the entire season. I am going to flip them on the wheels so i can get maximum life out of them. Im going to run these until i cord them probably...though they will probably be hard as a rock before i do that it seems.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:46 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Matt, you know me and used tires. You cant break the cycle like that!

I think i may be able to get an entire season out of these. Whats funny is the inside shoulder has literally no wear at all, it looks like the rubber hasn't even touched the ground. The outter shoulders are worn but would probably last me fine the entire season. I am going to flip them on the wheels so i can get maximum life out of them. Im going to run these until i cord them probably...though they will probably be hard as a rock before i do that it seems.
You're welcome!

Quick Reply: Kumho V710's, can these be flipped on the wheels?