Notices

motion sickness and driving schools?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 02:46 PM
jim944s2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motion sickness and driving schools?

I helped instruct at a novice auto-x school on Saturday, the guys I was working with had pretty rough cars, -soft suspension, exhaust leaks and some smoke. After 8 rides or so, I started feeling carsick, even though I was looking out where I should be. I hope it's not a new regular thing for me, I've never felt it while instructing auto-x schools before, even with a circle/skidpad. I took a break, including lunch break, and felt better, but never quite got back to feeling all-good. I felt a bit 'off' in the stomach the whole rest of the day, and took a couple of antacids before bed. I didn't feel any added effects while driving my own, or their cars (which would be very unusual I think), it was just while riding, but with the lingering funny-tummy.
I had just gotten over a cold a couple of days before, but was still a bit congested, maybe some leftover inner-ear fluid was messing with me?, combined with some carbon monoxide?, -and all the other good track smells (and some not-so smooth driving in too warm cars) This ever happen to you?
Old 10-09-2006, 06:22 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had this happen we instructing on a track. For me alot has to do with the driver. The rougher the driver the more likely to induce a problem.

My last two events I have take ginger root capsules (availalbe at Hi health, etc). The are supposed to help out. I have not been motion sick since taking these, but I believe my drivers have been on smoother side. Cost for bottle is like $8 so it is worth a try.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:41 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are in for another full day of instructing you may want to consider taking one or even two of the non drowsy dramamine at least an hour before the driving event. That should help significantly.

Quick Reply: motion sickness and driving schools?