Notices

PCA Zone 1 this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 03:20 AM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCA Zone 1 this weekend

Looks good for this weekends Zone 1 auto X at Devens in Ayre, MA. It will be a nice ending to AutoX season here in New England.

Saturday
Mostly Cloudy
High 58°F
Low 43°F
More clouds than sun. High 58F. Winds NE at 10 to 20 mph.

Sunday
Mostly Sunny
High 62°F
Low 40°F

More sun than clouds. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the low 40s

Hope to see a few of you there.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Conekiller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i never autoxed at deven's is it worth the 2.5 hour drive there from CT? Also what time in the morning does it start, and do we get more runs for $55? Thanks
Mike
Old 10-06-2006, 06:51 PM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

The price includs both Saturday and Sunday.

The site is an old air strip. Couses upto 1.5 miles can be setup on it. Typically for our events a run will be a minute to a minute and a half.

Google Maps Devens

If you look at the satelite maps we usually start at the runway X and run down to the first taxi way. Pass in front of the tower and back to out the next taxi way to the runway and back home. We some times add the loop at the upper right.

If nothing it will be nice day to be out in the New England weather.

You can be the judge but I think it is more interesting than the parking lot on Tobay Beach. I did have fun at the Smith & Wession parking lot. It had some fun elevation changes. Devens has some subtle crowns and rises that can unsettle or work in your favor.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:33 AM
mskala
Intermediate

I was very surprised by the really good weather. It's good to see
some other cars (and good drivers) from the other regions.

Here is a clip of day 2, the more fun course that was 3rd gear all
the way in a 914.

MPG, 18Mb, Zone 1 day 2 run 6
Old 10-10-2006, 01:56 AM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

Great vid there Mark. That was one fast course. It is fun comparing view points on the course. I seems the 916-6 has shorter gearing that the S2. First to second was about the same. The shift to third was at the end of the cone canyon. Breaking and line seem the same up to the station 3 solomon. I was taking it to the right. I ment to give it a try both ways but never got around to trying the left side. The end had a real nice flow to it if you didn't get to heavy footed
Old 10-10-2006, 02:08 PM
fatboycowen
Intermediate

It was a great weekend at Devens, and the 2nd course was probably the best, and most fun course i have ever driven. I dont usually browse this forum, but i might have to start.

I was taking the 2nd slalom left like mark was. Infact, it was his idea and i believe it payed off heavily. It set you up for the rather large left hand sweeper.

For shifts: Full throttle from the gate all the way to the first slalom, ending up in 3rd gear. I shifted down during the left hand turn back onto the final runway then back up during the back slalom (with pointers).

I'l try to get my vid posted from that day. Its my first weekend with the camera. I mounted it on the lexan peice between the seats in the boxter. The view was perfect. Just enough to see the wheel and shifter, plus the course. However, the vibration during the run killed the video, making it difficult to watch.

Drive it like you stole it.
Jon
Old 10-10-2006, 04:03 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The first day course was my favorite autocross ever. Then, the second day course became my favorite autocross ever.

The event is going to my memory as the best autocross I've ever driven. Not even the SCCA National courses I drove two weeks ago can get to the level of fun found at Devens.

On day two, the fast line was to drive both slaloms on the left. Indeed, there was a third hidden slalom at the final straight to be taken on the left as well, in form of offset gates, but it was really a 4 cones long slalom, going into what looked like a 2 cones slalom before the finish, but it wasn't.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:14 PM
fatboycowen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The first day course was my favorite autocross ever. Then, the second day course became my favorite autocross ever.

The event is going to my memory as the best autocross I've ever driven. Not even the SCCA National courses I drove two weeks ago can get to the level of fun found at Devens.

On day two, the fast line was to drive both slaloms on the left. Indeed, there was a third hidden slalom at the final straight to be taken on the left as well, in form of offset gates, but it was really a 4 cones long slalom, going into what looked like a 2 cones slalom before the finish, but it wasn't.
Well, it was really cool to see the superfast GT3, along with a super good driver hit up the course. It always amazes me when someone can pull off a time that much better then everyone else.

PCA NER and NCR frequently do back to back events on saturday/sunday. Check out the schedules at www.porschenet.com and www.ncr-pca.org at the beginning of the year to find out. We constantly have fast courses like that at Devens. Unfortunatly, next year may be the last year of Devens as it will be made into a development project.

Jon
Old 10-10-2006, 08:54 PM
mskala
Intermediate

It was good to see a bunch of fast drivers that normally we wouldn't see here. Too bad my car is classed so badly.

Mark S.
'70 914-6
Old 10-11-2006, 10:03 AM
fatboycowen
Intermediate

Anyone know where next year's zone will be?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:01 PM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

Henry Hoeh said they are looking for a site in Western New York currently. He expects NER to field a good presence in order to defend our win.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:33 PM
fatboycowen
Intermediate

Default Results

Check out the results here

http://zone1.pca.org/2006%20Zone%201...%20Results.pdf

Also the region challenge results

http://zone1.pca.org/2006%20Zone%201...0Challenge.pdf

NER rules.

Quick Reply: PCA Zone 1 this weekend