Does anyone here autocross

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Last edited by TheStig; 07-14-2005 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:30 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, who lent Stig the roll of painter's tape?

Don't even want to know the explanation of "Mongo Wee"

Just kiddin,
-Z.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:48 AM
Rod.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, this is my 1st season and things aren't progressing as well as I'd like. I usually get better by a few seconds from start to end runs but I'm still in the bottom 25% of the pack overall. I think that I've figured out that brute force isn't the way to get low times. Any suggestions what to try?

Thanks,
Rod.
'77 911S
Old 07-13-2005, 02:04 AM
Lawn Gnome
Racer

Practice, practice, practice. I've been told that if you don't hit cones or spin out then you may not be pushing your car hard enough.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rod.
OK, this is my 1st season and things aren't progressing as well as I'd like. I usually get better by a few seconds from start to end runs but I'm still in the bottom 25% of the pack overall. I think that I've figured out that brute force isn't the way to get low times. Any suggestions what to try?

Thanks,
Rod.
'77 911S
Slow in, fast out.

If your car feels like it handles like it's on rails, you're driving too slow.

Seat time.

Be consitently tight on your turn in, apex, and track out points. IE: You should be nearly hitting your apex cone. You know, you don't get points off for hitting them IF they don't move.

And use the middle pedal less.

-Z.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
OK, who lent Stig the roll of painter's tape?

Don't even want to know the explanation of "Mongo Wee"

Just kiddin,
-Z.
I got really drunk playing pool the night before that's all you need to know
Old 07-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

JP, I have been autocrossing since the about 1980. I used to collect a trophy every time I went out. Now days, either the other guys got better or I got worse.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:30 PM
mickf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rotten Robby
JP, I have been autocrossing since the about 1980. I used to collect a trophy every time I went out. Now days, either the other guys got better or I got worse.
Like someone told me recently: "The older I get, the faster I was!"
Old 07-25-2005, 05:56 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My stock 83...

Look at that body roll baby

My 944-spec race car...
Old 07-26-2005, 02:20 AM
Lawn Gnome
Racer

Who do you guys autox with? I normally go with PCA but I have been to a few SCCA events. SCCA is much more competive than PCA imo.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:51 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lawn Gnome
Who do you guys autox with? I normally go with PCA but I have been to a few SCCA events. SCCA is much more competive than PCA imo.
While I agree, and it's nice to run with other cars besides Porsches, in my area (North NJ), it is hard to justify NOT running with NNJR-PCA. The biggest reason is the number of runs, and how smoothly our events run. With an SCCA event, you'll get 4 to 6 runs MAX. With NNJR-PCA, you'll get 8 to 10 runs, and be done earlier than an SCCA event! (We're typically done by 3:00 - 3:30 ish)

NASA & M-Club are other clubs that run AX in my area, and sometimes they have more runs (6-8) but sometimes they have less, and still take longer.

PCA was one of the first clubs to develop a solid AX program in our area, and as such, it is the best organized and the bottom line is: you get the most bang for the buck. There are several national level SCCA drivers who come out to play with us! While cars running in the Porsche classes earn championship points throughout the season, "X-class" (Non-Porsche) cars do not earn any such points. Thus, these national level SCCA drivers must really like the way we run our events...

Just my $0.42,
-Z.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:55 AM
mickf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lawn Gnome
Anthony,

In the DC/Baltimore area you can also check out BMWCCA at http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?calendar_of_events. They do a lot of AutoX at Baysox Stadium in Bowie. They run good events.

When you pre-register they'll usually tell you you're on their wait list and then that they're full. But I've never been turned away by just showing up and getting on the "on-site" wait list.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by mickf
Anthony,

In the DC/Baltimore area you can also check out BMWCCA at http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?calendar_of_events. They do a lot of AutoX at Baysox Stadium in Bowie. They run good events.

When you pre-register they'll usually tell you you're on their wait list and then that they're full. But I've never been turned away by just showing up and getting on the "on-site" wait list.
Hmmm - I'll be in the Baltimore area for vacation Aug 1st through the 12th. I wonder if there's anything going on then....and I wonder if my wife you mind if I took a day out of our vacation to flog her New Beetle turbo around some cones....

-Z.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Chesapeake Region PCA is having an autocross on Aug. 7 at Ripken Stadium. Very very sweet lot. They get about 60 cars on a good day and are done early too. Mostly Porsche, but they accept non Porsches too. Their webpage is www.pcachs.org Ripken Stadium is right off of I-95 (you can see the lot going south on 95 on the right). From Baltimore, it's about a 30 minute drive.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
Chesapeake Region PCA is having an autocross on Aug. 7 at Ripken Stadium. Very very sweet lot. They get about 60 cars on a good day and are done early too. Mostly Porsche, but they accept non Porsches too. Their webpage is www.pcachs.org Ripken Stadium is right off of I-95 (you can see the lot going south on 95 on the right). From Baltimore, it's about a 30 minute drive.
Sounds like a plan... gotta convince the wifey....

I failed to mention -- I'll be in Ocean City, MD from the 7th through the 12th. (Baltimore until the 6th). But it's probably around a 1 hour drive from Ocean City, no?

Quick Reply: Does anyone here autocross