Notices

stationary drone question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2024, 08:05 AM
billzorn
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default stationary drone question

from what i understand, drones in general aren't permitted at scca autocross events without a $10 million dollar insurance policy.

does anyone know if a stationary drone, or drones, looking down on the course has been proposed or used? my 249 gram drone parked over a light pole would seem to pose minimal risk to anyone. it seems a look-down video would be useful.

does anyone know if using a drone for the course walk has been proposed? mine can fly inches over my head and track me looking ahead.

does anyone know which insurors to ask about this stuff, or who at the scca?

Old 06-13-2024, 12:26 AM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by billzorn
from what i understand, drones in general aren't permitted at scca autocross events without a $10 million dollar insurance policy.

does anyone know if a stationary drone, or drones, looking down on the course has been proposed or used? my 249 gram drone parked over a light pole would seem to pose minimal risk to anyone. it seems a look-down video would be useful.

does anyone know if using a drone for the course walk has been proposed? mine can fly inches over my head and track me looking ahead.

does anyone know which insurors to ask about this stuff, or who at the scca?
Proof of insurance, license and written permission, both from the SCCA and the site owner, as I understand it.

As you probably know, the FAA rules have changed a lot in the last few years w/r/t to a one-time transit of a site over people, the weight cutoff, altitude rules, etc. Beyond that I don't believe that the SCCA gives permission for personal/recreational use of drones at their events in any case. It would have to be for a use-case that they endorse and I doubt that filming the course walk for yourself is high on their list of allowable use-cases.

BTW, to fly a drone at a PCA event has very similar requirements, must be arranged well in advance with the Region getting the National OK, must be a professional pilot with a licensed business, but only requires a $5M insurance policy!
Most racetracks have very similar rules regarding drones. They do allow race teams who rent their track to use drones, but not for recreational use, has to meet all the regular requirements, etc.

For an SCCA event you must start with the event officials for that event as stated in the autocross rules 1.3.2.V

Last edited by edfishjr; 06-13-2024 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-13-2024, 08:19 AM
billzorn
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks; makes a lot of sense with larger drones chasing cars over a course, from a safety/liability point of view.

but for an ultralight drone parked over concrete, not so much. if anyone know what insurer drone operators at these events use, i'd be interested

Quick Reply: stationary drone question