Notices

Cayman in STU, anyone else? questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 07:08 AM
Patstat
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by edfishjr
Unless it won't fit, I'll be trying this this weekend at a local on my 987.1 Cayman. I need to fit check the 295/30-18 Yoko on the rear as it's what I plan to run at Nationals to find out if I need a different spacer thickness. (I will never run Bridgestones at Lincoln again.)
What's the story with the Stones ?
Old 06-13-2024, 03:02 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Patstat
What's the story with the Stones ?
They pick up rubber and seam sealant at that site like crazy and the tires get coated with it, reducing grip. Same event, same run group Yoks barely pick up anything.
Old 06-13-2024, 04:56 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by edfishjr
They pick up rubber and seam sealant at that site like crazy and the tires get coated with it, reducing grip. Same event, same run group Yoks barely pick up anything.
My issue with the Stones is that once they get a little hot, heat management in the front becomes difficult in that while you can lower the surface temps, the carcass of the tire seems to draw/keep heat from the brakes or blow off from the engine air cooling ducts. For a single driver, that can be managed but it becomes much more difficult for two drivers especially at smaller events where turn around is tighter. Thus, I am running Yoks this year which don't like hot either but at least they don't also grab OPR. I know AS is TU/WED (much less OPR) and based on last year when AS was 5th heat, I'm betting on earlier heat in cooler conditions.
Old 06-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3papa
My issue with the Stones is that once they get a little hot, heat management in the front becomes difficult in that while you can lower the surface temps, the carcass of the tire seems to draw/keep heat from the brakes or blow off from the engine air cooling ducts. For a single driver, that can be managed but it becomes much more difficult for two drivers especially at smaller events where turn around is tighter. Thus, I am running Yoks this year which don't like hot either but at least they don't also grab OPR. I know AS is TU/WED (much less OPR) and based on last year when AS was 5th heat, I'm betting on earlier heat in cooler conditions.
I haven't had that with the stones yet... It's odd that you mention this because at the CAM challenge in Peru I ran my fastest times of the whole weekend in the 2 warm up runs for the challenge. I let my wife go first so she wouldn't have heat soaked tires, but I think they ended up being a little faster after they were hot. I was never able to get back to those times in the subsequent rounds of the challenge after they iced us (it seemed odd they way they moved around between classes)
Old 06-13-2024, 05:24 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
I haven't had that with the stones yet... It's odd that you mention this because at the CAM challenge in Peru I ran my fastest times of the whole weekend in the 2 warm up runs for the challenge. I let my wife go first so she wouldn't have heat soaked tires, but I think they ended up being a little faster after they were hot. I was never able to get back to those times in the subsequent rounds of the challenge after they iced us (it seemed odd they way they moved around between classes)
Yeah -- as the starter, I was just pushing the button looking for trouble on course but yeah -- those challenges seemed.....challenging. I did not have heat issue at Peru this year in part because temps were down and course was periodically wet. My theory of why you may not experience the same issue is a stock car is so camber limited that while it can transition fast, it really generates tons of heat on sweepers or slower dig corners but taxes the hell out of the tires causing energy within the tire. If you have any meaningful front camber, more of the tire is at the sweet spot and the tire overall is worked as hard as without. Add that to all the other modifications which can be implemented, and you have a better balance than I have otherwise.
Old 06-14-2024, 10:40 AM
Patstat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Z3papa
ST is Tues/Wed too, looks fairly early. Is the run list the order the classes will go ? Not sure I've ever paid attention before.
Old 06-14-2024, 10:47 AM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

ST is Tues/Wed too, looks fairly early. Is the run list the order the classes will go ? Not sure I've ever paid attention before.
No. They have announced run days but not the run/work order. The list you are seeing is simply which days the classes will run, but..., from past experience, it seems very consistent that if a class runs late one year, it is more than likely it will run early to mid-day the next. YMMV -- There is no rule per se this is how they set run order. Much of it is balancing the drivers and workers. If you haven't gone, you have to plan on crazy weather shifts (it can be hot as hell with ambient's approaching 100, it can rain like Noah is preparing the Arc especially the pop up storms late afternoon, it can be very cool in the mornings), having shelter to get out of the sun, rain, wind, etc., There is definitely strength in numbers -- ie plan on paddocking with your TX region. I paddock and run with the Chicago/Milwaukee regions so I'll see you at the JXB icecream social/whisky tasting.

Last edited by Z3papa; 06-14-2024 at 10:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Patstat (06-18-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 08:58 PM
stellman
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Oh the Texas Biergarten will be in full effect!
Old 06-25-2024, 06:07 PM
Patstat
Intermediate

Lot's o' Pcars in STU at Nats this year...

6 out of 25 entrants. I'm the only 981 base...

Hopefully the tow rig will be done in time...

Last edited by Patstat; 06-25-2024 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 06:08 PM
stellman
Rennlist Member

Lot's o' Pcars in STU at Nats this year...

6 out of 25 entrants. I'm the only 981 base...
heh, look at AS!
Z3papa (06-30-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 11:40 PM
Patstat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stellman
heh, look at AS!
You mean the PorshaVette class ?

DS is falling on hard times with only 64 this year.

Last edited by Patstat; 06-25-2024 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 01:27 AM
Abt12
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

heh, look at AS!
Hoping I get some good setup tips out of all those 718 GTSes running! Haven't touched anything but wheels and a basic track alignment so far...
Old 06-26-2024, 03:53 PM
stellman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Abt12
Hoping I get some good setup tips out of all those 718 GTSes running! Haven't touched anything but wheels and a basic track alignment so far...
For sure!

Only two 911s in the class this year, myself and a GTS (jealous, heh). Excited to see how it all works out and compare notes if they've done anything different.
Abt12 (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 05:02 PM
Abt12
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

For sure!

Only two 911s in the class this year, myself and a GTS (jealous, heh). Excited to see how it all works out and compare notes if they've done anything different.
Send them this way if you talk to them. Would be very interested on front vs rear sway, alignments, tire pressures....

Be thankful though, Bob and Billy Davis were chatting with me last fall because they were considering buying one to campaign in AS! Seems like they didn't do that (yet, anyway!)
Old 06-26-2024, 07:44 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

heh, look at AS!
It should be interesting this year but I suspect the usual suspects will be on the pointy end this year. I was kinda surprised David Hedderrick and Michael Ron didn't show up since they would definitely disrupt the status quo for different reasons.

Quick Reply: Cayman in STU, anyone else? questions...