Notices

Poss. Tire Noise after A/X

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2024, 05:51 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Poss. Tire Noise after A/X

Is it common to experience tire noise after an autocross event? During the event last weekend I started noticing a noise and it continues to this day. It sounds like one of the tires is either out of balance or a bit flat-spotted. No wiggle in the steering wheel and it's hard to tell if it's coming from the front or back. I start noticing it above 50 MPH and continues if the engine is in neutral.

During my second run I mis-read the cones, over corrected a little and spun. Not a big one, maybe 180º or less. Nothing was hit, not even a cone. I righted the car and continued on. It seems like I noticed the noise after that but not sure.

I'm pretty new at this. Over 5 HPDE events, 4 A/X and one performance driving school I've spun maybe 6 times but this is the first time it's had an effect on the tires.
Old 06-02-2024, 10:25 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Hard driving often wears tires unevenly, spins or no spins, producing more noise fairly quickly, Tires just naturally get louder as they wear in any case.

Last edited by edfishjr; 06-02-2024 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-04-2024, 04:02 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

Thank you for the info. I want to be sure it's actually just tire noise and not something more serious.

Quick Reply: Poss. Tire Noise after A/X