Notices

Are there any iPhone apps that are good for tracking autocross runs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2024, 03:27 AM
peterp
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by KINGHURL
The simplest I've found is the Racebox App. It will require you to purchase a Racebox (GPS) unit, but you'll get the ability to compare runs on a GPS based course map-by segments (up to 4) and it gives you graphical update (green for faster....) on your progress on current run compared with last run. Less relevant for autox as you don't have time to look, but the whole screen of your phone changes colour depending on your progress. There are SoloStorm apps as well, but I've never used it and it does integrate with your video-post processed. Aim smarty cam has the ability when paired with the Aim Solo DL to overlay your video with OBD data like throttle and brake data which provides (to me) a very useful and fast indication of how your last run went. Able to review quickly between runs-this coupled with the Racebox is my go-to solution. I think Solostorm does similar things at a lower price point, but you must review data between runs, only Aim gives you the video overlay instantly after you runs with no additional post processing..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j_cDRqw_Rg
Originally Posted by stellman
If you have an Android device (or willing to purchase one, like an Amazon Fire tablet then put Google services on it) SoloStorm is really good. I was hesitant to make the investment for years because I was just offended by the $200 app cost. I finally broke down and sold my AIM setup and bought a nice Samsung S9 tablet (overkill, heh), a RaceBox Mini, GoPro Hero 10, and then a OBDLinkMX device. It takes a good 5 minutes to set up all the devices in the morning but it works REALLY good.

I set the Staging, Start, Finish with the GPS and the tablet and then I'm done till I run. I'll do a run and while I'm driving back to the grid the tablet is already downloading the low-res version of the video from the GoPro to give me a complete video overlay while in grid. It's all basically done by the time I get my helmet off. I need to make a video of how it all works, there's not a whole lot of great video information out there on it.
Originally Posted by BmacIL
Just get an android phone or tablet and run Solostorm only with it.
The SoloStorm sounds great. Wish they made it for the iPhone. Do you know if you need an internet connection on the Android to capture data with solostorm? We have only iPhones on cell plans, but I could probably get an android phone for Solostorm if no internet is required. Also curious what GPS rate is just using the Android GPS -- though I guess I would connect it to the Racebox Mini S I have now (but haven't used yet - Amazon had a shipping delay so it arrived after the Autocross event).
Old 06-06-2024, 03:45 AM
Abt12
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
The SoloStorm sounds great. Wish they made it for the iPhone. Do you know if you need an internet connection on the Android to capture data with solostorm? We have only iPhones on cell plans, but I could probably get an android phone for Solostorm if no internet is required. Also curious what GPS rate is just using the Android GPS -- though I guess I would connect it to the Racebox Mini S I have now (but haven't used yet - Amazon had a shipping delay so it arrived after the Autocross event).
Doesn't need a connection unless you're trying to get cloud data from others. Just hotspot your phone if that's the case.

Phone GPS is usually 1hz, you want at least 10hz for data.
The following users liked this post:
peterp (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 08:19 AM
BmacIL
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
You will need an external GPS for it to work well but the racebox mini will give you the GPS, OBD and accelerometer data you need for it. No connection required to run Solostorm, and a friend who just has an android for this only simply waits till they get home to throw it on wifi for YouTube uploads, for instance. It's the best app for autocross data and you'll also be able to see others' data they upload to the cloud. Said friend uses a Pixel 6 that works beautifully, but others I've seen use Samsung or fire tablets and such with good results.
The following users liked this post:
peterp (06-06-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 08:30 PM
stellman
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice thing about using GoPro and a Racebox Mini with SoloStorm is that you can throw your device in the glovebox and SoloStorm gets the gyroscope info from the Racebox and not the phone/tablet.
Old 06-10-2024, 06:22 PM
Patstat
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stellman
Nice thing about using GoPro and a Racebox Mini with SoloStorm is that you can throw your device in the glovebox and SoloStorm gets the gyroscope info from the Racebox and not the phone/tablet.
Not sure if you've seen mine, but I change from apple to google and back every few years, and I picked up a Pixel Fold, expressly for SoloStorm, and because I'm getting old and like a BIG screen. It's like having a tablet and a phone. Bonus was that the Iottie, motorized phone holder's ball socket, fits the Rennline phone holder ball. It's just out of the way of shifting. As far as I'm concerned it's kinda perfect. Sorry to jack an iphone thread.

Last edited by Patstat; 06-10-2024 at 06:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Patstat:
peterp (06-10-2024), stellman (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 10:29 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Patstat
Not sure if you've seen mine, but I change from apple to google and back every few years, and I picked up a Pixel Fold, expressly for SoloStorm, and because I'm getting old and like a BIG screen. It's like having a tablet and a phone. Bonus was that the Iottie, motorized phone holder's ball socket, fits the Rennline phone holder ball. It's just out of the way of shifting. As far as I'm concerned it's kinda perfect. Sorry to jack an iphone thread.

You're not hijacking at all. It sounds like SoloStorm is the best solution, so I probably have to find a way to do Android just for that. I didn't like the Asus Android I had a few years ago, but I guess I'd put up with Android again for this purpose. It looks like refurbished Android Fire HD 8 is only $50 on Amazon. That might not be a bad way to go if it's good enough for SoloStorm. Also wonder whether it's too big (8" by 5.4"). It looks like the Pixel Flip is 6.2" by 5.5".

Quick Reply: Are there any iPhone apps that are good for tracking autocross runs?