Notices

2024 SS/AS/BS/CS updates announced

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 11:32 PM
RacingChris44
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

And when that happens, someone needs to let me have a co drive (I spent 90 mins with one at PEC Atlanta...I have thought about that day every day since!)
Old 11-21-2023, 11:55 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by jpgunn
They need to put the 992 GT3 in SS…
I think the easiest most straightforward move would have been all of SS to AS. Then populate SS with the 992 gt3, c8z06, and the gt4RS, plus any of the other RS models that have been left out.
The following users liked this post:
Formulabob (11-29-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 12:48 AM
BmacIL
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
I think the easiest most straightforward move would have been all of SS to AS. Then populate SS with the 992 gt3, c8z06, and the gt4RS, plus any of the other RS models that have been left out.
Or since they're in the mood for more classes, make an SSS or SS+ class for all those and any other high dollar+super high performance cars.
Old 11-22-2023, 03:25 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Slightly off-topic, but do any of you know whether the TPC GT4 toe link mod would be
allowed in Super Street? I read the rules, I am a newbie, and can't tell one way or the other.
Old 11-22-2023, 04:23 PM
Abt12
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
Slightly off-topic, but do any of you know whether the TPC GT4 toe link mod would be
allowed in Super Street? I read the rules, I am a newbie, and can't tell one way or the other.
If it's not explicitly allowed in the rules, then it's not allowed. Pretty much any suspension component change besides struts/shocks and one sway bar is not allowed in Street class, so replacement toe links would not be allowed.

Last edited by Abt12; 11-22-2023 at 04:45 PM.
Z3papa (11-23-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 04:29 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Thank you! Happy Thanksgiving.
Abt12 (11-22-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 07:31 AM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Abt12
If it's not explicitly allowed in the rules, then it's not allowed. Pretty much any suspension component change besides struts/shocks and one sway bar is not allowed in Street class, so replacement toe links would not be allowed.
This is correct but mildly unfortunate as they offer little benefit while autocrossing but are definitely beneficial for track days as the car gets very light in the rear during heavier high speed braking.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:19 AM
stellman
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

AS is pretty dead in my local region, only 1-2 drivers so I'll be making sure to hit Tours/Divisionals with more AS competitors with my 991.1 S. For the 991.1 non-GT cars, I think it's a welcome change.
BmacIL (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 08:27 PM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BmacIL
Or since they're in the mood for more classes, make an SSS or SS+ class for all those and any other high dollar+super high performance cars.
I don't envy those who have to make classing decisions. Because what you propose is legitimately the correct move, if the SEB are not committed to moving large numbers of cars down classes each year. New cars get faster. If you don't change the classes, you end up with a catch-all class like SS with a bunch of things that are super interesting and worth owning, but are buried. I get that the SEB have long time participants in certain classes who they don't want to upset by moving other things down into their "untouchable" class, but at the same time those folks don't really grow the sport. New folks do. And cars get old. And street class folks get the rug pulled out from under them all the time. No one should be exempt.

Maybe all this debate is moot anyhow. Seems like we are losing autox venues left and right
Old 12-07-2023, 02:09 PM
oofie810
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingChris44
I just wish they would have moved the damn 718 base engine into BS rather than keeping it in AS. I can now say I'm competing with cars with 4.2x the engine size my car has (Viper). I know I'm a broken record on this.
So how would this happen? It seems logical to move it a class down if the S is in the same class, no? I think I don't understand how classing really works.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:12 PM
RacingChris44
Advanced

Originally Posted by oofie810
So how would this happen? It seems logical to move it a class down if the S is in the same class, no? I think I don't understand how classing really works.
The SCCA would need to decide that it (the base model) is not overly powered or "too strong" for the BStreet class. Unfortunately they are not convinced at the moment...I think it would be a strong car in BS, but I don't think it would dominate. If you compare the Supra for example (one of the top BS cars at the moment) with More power, a little more weight, and I believe more tire, that would be a good fight in my opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by RacingChris44:
Bajordan (12-16-2023), oofie810 (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 03:51 PM
oofie810
Instructor

The SCCA would need to decide that it (the base model) is not overly powered or "too strong" for the BStreet class. Unfortunately they are not convinced at the moment...I think it would be a strong car in BS, but I don't think it would dominate. If you compare the Supra for example (one of the top BS cars at the moment) with More power, a little more weight, and I believe more tire, that would be a good fight in my opinion.
So is it a matter of more people sending letters to SEB or more people with 718 Bases attending events and proving that it's under classed (?) in AS?
Old 12-07-2023, 06:37 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts

So is it a matter of more people sending letters to SEB or more people with 718 Bases attending events and proving that it's under classed (?) in AS?
In my opinion there is no way to prove this to the SEB or the SAC. When they have decided that a car is "more than the sum of its parts" it will stay that way until it has completely died on the vine.
oofie810 (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 06:55 PM
RacingChris44
Advanced

I'm trying to take a more optimistic approach and say "it can help"... Here is an example: I had a Tesla M3P I used to race...It was moved from BS to SS. I had written to them and said it should be in AS. They said no. I wrote, they said no. Others wrote..They said no. I sold my car. They said yes and have moved it down to AS.

Fact is, I think there is a chance, and letters can't hurt, but it is definitely not a guarantee (unless I sell mine...Then it will definitely happen )

I will say this though - While I think the car may be an underdog, I did finish an event within .2 of the AS National Champ at an event this year so I feel pretty good about that! ( Chicago Region SCCA TSSCC Event 1 - 7/9/2023)
BmacIL (12-08-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 07:10 PM
oofie810
Instructor

I'm trying to take a more optimistic approach and say "it can help"... Here is an example: I had a Tesla M3P I used to race...It was moved from BS to SS. I had written to them and said it should be in AS. They said no. I wrote, they said no. Others wrote..They said no. I sold my car. They said yes and have moved it down to AS.

Fact is, I think there is a chance, and letters can't hurt, but it is definitely not a guarantee (unless I sell mine...Then it will definitely happen )

I will say this though - While I think the car may be an underdog, I did finish an event within .2 of the AS National Champ at an event this year so I feel pretty good about that! ( Chicago Region SCCA TSSCC Event 1 - 7/9/2023)
LOL!

Good to hear that it is at least competitive. I don't have a 718 but I saw a Base 6MT with PASM and PTV at a reasonable price, so it got me thinking if I should purchase one. Originally, I've been wondering about buying a 991.1 S, but with the 718 that I saw almost being half the price of a 991.1S, I'm tempted to go 718 route for now. I'm not nationally competitive and I don't see myself competing nationally as well, but I also still want to measure myself against the fastest drivers here in the Bay Area.

Quick Reply: 2024 SS/AS/BS/CS updates announced