Notices

BS 996

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 12:52 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

GT4 has some taller gearing, but it also has 25% more torque and hp. I can't see all your calcs so I'm not sure where the error may be, but real world GT4 is a half second faster to 60mph and a full second faster over a quarter mile.

I agree completely with you that the bottom half of AS makes more sense in BS, and has for several years.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:49 AM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
GT4 has some taller gearing, but it also has 25% more torque and hp. I can't see all your calcs so I'm not sure where the error may be, but real world GT4 is a half second faster to 60mph and a full second faster over a quarter mile.

I agree completely with you that the bottom half of AS makes more sense in BS, and has for several years.
I'm carrying 310 lb-ft for the GT4 and 273 for the 981CS. I have assigned the 981CS a quite short 18" rear tire, which is I think the fastest configuration. The GT4, afaik, came only with 20" rims and thus cannot run that 18" tire. This is what hurts 2nd gear peak thrust the most in the spreadsheet, more than what's in the gearbox.

If the GT4 could be purchased with 19s, well, that's what I need to know. At the time I added it I didn't think so.

There are several cases where an earlier car that can use 18" rims gets a boost compared to a later car that cannot. That will not be reflected in tested 0-60 times. In fact, 0-60 (much less quarter-mile times) is nearly useless for predicting non-Pro-solo autocross performance anyway. The 987.2PDK is rated using PDK 2nd gear and the short 18" tire. No special adjustment is made for the PDK.

Things would be much simpler if I didn't worry about these rim size cases, but I think it's a feature, not a bug in the system.

Last edited by edfishjr; 01-25-2022 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:25 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by edfishjr
I'm carrying 310 lb-ft for the GT4 and 273 for the 981CS. I have assigned the 981CS a quite short 18" rear tire, which is I think the fastest configuration. The GT4, afaik, came only with 20" rims and thus cannot run that 18" tire. This is what hurts 2nd gear peak thrust the most in the spreadsheet, more than what's in the gearbox.

If the GT4 could be purchased with 19s, well, that's what I need to know. At the time I added it I didn't think so.

There are several cases where an earlier car that can use 18" rims gets a boost compared to a later car that cannot. That will not be reflected in tested 0-60 times. In fact, 0-60 (much less quarter-mile times) is nearly useless for predicting non-Pro-solo autocross performance anyway. The 987.2PDK is rated using PDK 2nd gear and the short 18" tire. No special adjustment is made for the PDK.

Things would be much simpler if I didn't worry about these rim size cases, but I think it's a feature, not a bug in the system.
981 GT4 is 310ft-lb per Porsche. The 2019 is a 718, which is listed as 309PDK (Manual) & 317ft-lb (PDK), but that's clearly not the whole story as 718BS & CS are also rated as 309/317ft-lb. The higher redline does not explain the difference in hp or acceleration. They may not be entirely honest about these numbers.

Last edited by sjfehr; 01-26-2022 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:26 PM
BmacIL
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by edfishjr
Thanks. I will update.

On my way today to pick up a 2008 C6Z51.
I've been following your results at the past couple of tours. How do you like the C6 Z51? Looks to be a competitive but not straight-to-the-top car.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:35 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 185 Posts

__

Last edited by Auto_Werks 3.6; 07-06-2022 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:37 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Now that strano is willing to drive a super pony since they were gifted a class and easier pax, is there anyone who doesn’t think that BS and FS should just be combined, as they should have been in the first place? Strano is showing that the New FS cars always had the pace, but no one was seriously going to try one until the possibility of a freebie jacket was on the table. The older mustangs that people were worried about in FS are long gone.

I truly wish there was another decent autocross club, because the classing and decision making at SCCA is awful. The majority of decisions are made to make sure that people who aren’t very smart stay happy. leadership literally pointed out in the above comments that if a cayman became dominant in AS that the class would end. We’re racing with people who won’t spend an extra $10k on initial buy in for a cayman, which will likely run without issue and hold its value for resale… but they will spend nearly as much for a corvette that needs to have the cylinder heads rebuilt every couple seasons, and barely has the seats bolted to the floor. I truly *want* to want a c6 corvette, but I can’t bring myself to do it. GM discontinued the crate motors for it, and now when people ask about buying them on RRAX they are warned not to because ownership is painful. AS days are numbered. We might as well just ask strano what the next car he would like to win easily with is, and make a class for that while we’re at it.

An old corvette with production numbers around 10000 or whatever is a retarded idea for dominance in BS. C7 grand sport was gifted into SSR and no one wants to own one, or I would say might as well make BS for those cars. They at least make more sense than an older base model.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:49 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I just looked and did not see an application for the open SAC position from you.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:32 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by BmacIL
I've been following your results at the past couple of tours. How do you like the C6 Z51? Looks to be a competitive but not straight-to-the-top car.
I love the car. Very glad I bought it rather than a BMW of either type and very glad the SCCA gave me a less expensive alternative. You can read about my latest experience at the Bristol Pro and Tour at edfishjr.com. The upshot is that, after finding a good setup re tire pressures and shock settings I was trophy 2nd at the Pro and non-trophy 4th at the Tour. The car has a lot of lateral grip now, even on bumpy surfaces, mostly thanks to the great Penske shocks. I did have the 2nd fastest time in class on day 2 of the Tour, but I was way off the pace on day 1. Not completely sure why, but the massive number of wind-sprints I did on the two days of the Pro chasing cones might have had something to do with it. (Not sure how the oldest person out there can keep getting one of the most hit cones to tend!) I could barely walk on Saturday and was very glad to have radio duty for the Tour.

The idea that the Corvette will be dominant in BS is silly, in my opinion. The Supra and the M2/M3 cars are clearly very, very good. Can the Corvette win? Yes. (Especially with a better driver than me.)
Now, if Yokohama would make a 305-19 tire for it, it might be dominant if it could put more power down coming off the corners, but wouldn't the advantage accrue to the other cars as well, all of which accelerate harder than the Corvette with their auto box gearing and massive low-rpm torque? The Tour courses were about the best the Corvette can hope for, in that I was almost or just barely hitting the 2nd gear rev limiter at the fastest point. That probably won't happen on Nats courses. I've been wanting to try the 295-19 Yok, a few came out, but I missed getting a pair. More are not expected until Fall. I'm hoping to be on the new 315-19 Falken in the rear for Nats... supposed to ship late this month. Dave Marcus will be on Yoks in R.T.'s Supra. (Not that I'm in his league as a driver in any case.)

I will continue to pursue my cars' rightful dominance in BS as intended by the SCCA!

Last edited by edfishjr; 07-07-2022 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2022, 03:12 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by burglar
I just looked and did not see an application for the open SAC position from you.
ever since I publicly called out John vitmvas for trying to compare his first gen boxster ownership experience with a GT3 I’ve been persona non grata. I considered applying for an open position this year, but I ended up figuring I would save the effort of writing a resume, and save the seb effort of having to TYFYI
The following users liked this post:
Z3papa (07-07-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 12:35 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

AX classing in the SCCA has always been dynamic, political and often mysterious.
I remember when I started in 1970, all the AX classes matched the SCCA Road Racing classes.
When I started to run my 964 in 1999 it was in AS, then it moved to BS and now it is in CS. Interestingly, at the Regional level I was the most competitive in AS.......could have been due to my age .
Old 07-08-2022, 01:15 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Being involved for a few years now I can safely say there is no political influence, at least with the current SAC. There's an occasional SEB broader vision or personal agenda hinted at but those typically get tempered out.

Very generally, we want full grids, and we want to give the membership what they want (collectively, not the individual.) Reading beyond that, while the passion is appreciated, is silly.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:03 AM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/autocros...l#post12322866

Just for fun.
back in the day when yommer took my fully prepped 996 40th against the z06 in AS.
still miss that car.
happy to answer any questions regarding 996 legality for BS.

Quick Reply: BS 996