Notices

2022 SCCA PAX released

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2021 | 02:40 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GT4Pat
Very interesting thread. Maybe this will shine a little light. SS has always been the halo class. The class where the coolest sports cars drop into. Its always been the most transitional class. Every year its had a new top car as the latest and greatest car hit that class. Its a proving ground or a starting point if you will for cars...then they trickle into respective classes. ( I remember when the CRXSi was in SS) At least this is how it was until the C5 Z06 came out.. Then the class exploded... I remember everyone saying no way people will spend 50K plus for an SS car....and 50 showed up at nationals.... Then the C6Z came along and it got bigger!....Then in went the 997 GT3, Lotus Elise and a few others...it continued to grow... When the GT3 went in everyone said WOW 100K car, no way. you will kill the class...that year 6 showed up..and the field was 60 cars.. The 991 came out.... the GT4 came out. Since, SS has proven that you can have over a million dollars in grid.. People spend the money for the cool cars.

Where am I going? Yes, SS is due for a tweak, (my opinion) the lower cars in SS (in my opinion) need to move out to A /B / etc and those classes require tweaking. ( cayman R, lotus, maybe 2016 gt4 for example)
We are entering into a crazy time.... C8Z06/GT3/GT4RS/Emira/NSX type S.... All of these cars are the top cars that everyone wants to have. Will they be excluded from SS? In my opinion, NOPE.....(maybe the NSX as they are only making 300 we will see 600HP wow).... The balance C8Z06 (They will make what 25K? It will reset the bar with HP 670 awesome chassis, PDK, computer controlled diff) This opens the door for the GT3.....That opens the door for the GT4RS... (same power on skinnier tires, less downforce). Both Porsches Porsche has said they will make as many as they have orders for.be patient .(They will make halo cars until the electric cars take over).. Heck they made 3500 991.2 GT3s in 2018.... Most certain the NEW GT3 will sell just as many... same for the GT4RS.... The cost??? Its clear from the 991s, people will open their wallets for this class. If you see that people are willing to spend 50K over sticker to get a GT3... People have cash, stupid cash.

Remember, it took a little bit but the 997 GT3 RS is in SS.....if you can find it and buy it... I would not be surprised to see the 991.1 or .2 GT3 RS move into SS down the road based on the new cars that I expect to go into SS....
Hang on, its gonna be one hell of a ride..
This is the exact thinking that got us into trouble as well and why two large reshuffles happened for the other Street classes from 2013 to present. There is always escalation and spikes in attendance, SSR is proof it doesn't always go according to plan. I hope SS doesn't escalate to those levels so soon, but I'll just leave if it does and I figure I wont be alone. I think a lot of people cannot go beyond the price point where SS was before the current pricing bubble and be your core attendance group for healthy numbers, time will indeed tell.
Old 11-23-2021 | 05:42 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT4Pat
Very interesting thread. Maybe this will shine a little light. SS has always been the halo class. The class where the coolest sports cars drop into. Its always been the most transitional class. Every year its had a new top car as the latest and greatest car hit that class. Its a proving ground or a starting point if you will for cars...then they trickle into respective classes. ( I remember when the CRXSi was in SS) At least this is how it was until the C5 Z06 came out.. Then the class exploded... I remember everyone saying no way people will spend 50K plus for an SS car....and 50 showed up at nationals.... Then the C6Z came along and it got bigger!....Then in went the 997 GT3, Lotus Elise and a few others...it continued to grow... When the GT3 went in everyone said WOW 100K car, no way. you will kill the class...that year 6 showed up..and the field was 60 cars.. The 991 came out.... the GT4 came out. Since, SS has proven that you can have over a million dollars in grid.. People spend the money for the cool cars.

Where am I going? Yes, SS is due for a tweak, (my opinion) the lower cars in SS (in my opinion) need to move out to A /B / etc and those classes require tweaking. ( cayman R, lotus, maybe 2016 gt4 for example)
We are entering into a crazy time.... C8Z06/GT3/GT4RS/Emira/NSX type S.... All of these cars are the top cars that everyone wants to have. Will they be excluded from SS? In my opinion, NOPE.....(maybe the NSX as they are only making 300 we will see 600HP wow).... The balance C8Z06 (They will make what 25K? It will reset the bar with HP 670 awesome chassis, PDK, computer controlled diff) This opens the door for the GT3.....That opens the door for the GT4RS... (same power on skinnier tires, less downforce). Both Porsches Porsche has said they will make as many as they have orders for.be patient .(They will make halo cars until the electric cars take over).. Heck they made 3500 991.2 GT3s in 2018.... Most certain the NEW GT3 will sell just as many... same for the GT4RS.... The cost??? Its clear from the 991s, people will open their wallets for this class. If you see that people are willing to spend 50K over sticker to get a GT3... People have cash, stupid cash.

Remember, it took a little bit but the 997 GT3 RS is in SS.....if you can find it and buy it... I would not be surprised to see the 991.1 or .2 GT3 RS move into SS down the road based on the new cars that I expect to go into SS....
Hang on, its gonna be one hell of a ride..
I agree. SS has proven to be a successful class and it's important to provide a street class for those who want (and can afford) the latest and greatest "halo" sports cars; however, it's clear that the level of performance and cost of entry has gone up significantly over the past few years (ADMs aside). It's great to have that space, but the gap between SS and AS is widening significantly (hence the PAX adjustment).

Last edited by chriswd62; 11-23-2021 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-01-2021 | 05:20 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Just throwing this out there -- does anyone think they can't go .7 sec. faster over SS pax on a 60 second course with XS or SST allowances?
Old 12-01-2021 | 05:31 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z3papa
Just throwing this out there -- does anyone think they can't go .7 sec. faster over SS pax on a 60 second course with XS or SST allowances?
Wow. I just saw they updated the SST PAX. That's a bit high, but I get it. However, it should be just .01 away from XS-A. That class allows pretty much any street legal modification on 200tw tires. Why even go SST then?
Old 12-02-2021 | 12:16 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Originally Posted by chriswd62
Wow. I just saw they updated the SST PAX. That's a bit high, but I get it. However, it should be just .01 away from XS-A. That class allows pretty much any street legal modification on 200tw tires. Why even go SST then?
Stiffer than CAM-S? That doesn't pass the logic test. Most of the top SST cars already come from the factory with a lot of what SST gives other cars, so I would think it would be marginally less-fast compared to its base class than STU or STR.
Old 12-02-2021 | 12:01 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Stiffer than CAM-S? That doesn't pass the logic test. Most of the top SST cars already come from the factory with a lot of what SST gives other cars, so I would think it would be marginally less-fast compared to its base class than STU or STR.
I don't know what you are talking about in this bolded section. I don't think that the Porsche variants in class are the cars to have but just taking those, all would benefit from allowances in suspension (coilovers, camber plates, toe arms?, sway bars at both ends), wheels (both diameter beyond 1" limitation and width, and no limitation on offsets) which would allow more tire to be adequately supported and better performance out of tires which need more than -1.3 camber, exhausts and tuning, weight reduction, race seats, etc. This is just scratching the surface of what ST allows. I'd suspect nearly all of the cars proposed would see a very appreciable pick up of speed if modified correctly and properly sorted. For CAMS and XSA, now you are getting into additional allowances which can really reduce weight, add downforce with aero, and performance.

Last edited by Z3papa; 12-02-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2021 | 01:26 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z3papa
I don't know what you are talking about in this bolded section. I don't think that the Porsche variants in class are the cars to have but just taking those, all would benefit from allowances in suspension (coilovers, camber plates, toe arms?, sway bars at both ends), wheels (both diameter beyond 1" limitation and width, and no limitation on offsets) which would allow more tire to be adequately supported and better performance out of tires which need more than -1.3 camber, exhausts and tuning, weight reduction, race seats, etc. This is just scratching the surface of what ST allows. I'd suspect nearly all of the cars proposed would see a very appreciable pick up of speed if modified correctly and properly sorted. For CAMS and XSA, now you are getting into additional allowances which can really reduce weight, add downforce with aero, and performance.
Porsches are not going to be the top cars in SST. They've only been classed in SST because they're not a threat.

What I was referencing: a Z06 is able to get nearly as much camber in AS as a 997 is able to get with ST mods. (And a SS GT3 is able to get even more.)

Last edited by sjfehr; 12-03-2021 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2021 | 11:13 AM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Porsches are not going to be the top cars in SST. They've only been classed in SST because they're not a threat.

What I was referencing: a Z06 is able to get nearly as much camber in AS as a 997 is able to get with ST mods. (And a SS GT3 is able to get even more.)
Where to begin. The SS GT3 is not in SST. As for the Z06, if you think that someone who has read the ST allowances can't exact more time out a Z06, you are not reading the rules closely enough. Will then benefit as much as other cars, NO. Will they get no benefit, of course they will. I'm not talking about someone who just wants to slap some wider wheels/tires and maybe a header on either. I know you are just stepping into the deep end on your STU build but the guys on the serious end of the stick are way further into the quick sand than you are. There is a local, Alex Tziortzis, who runs a Z06 nationally in SSP and CAMS, KOTM now some XSA who went full in with removing the goofy rear leaf spring setup and putting in full on coilovers with HUGE improvement. That may not be allowed by ST allowances but is an example of deep end commitment.
Old 12-03-2021 | 07:36 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Oh, I'm well aware GT3 is not in SST. My point was that an SS GT3 has more camber and more power than any STU or SST Porsche, yet the STU and SST Porsches are paxed significantly stiffer than SS. (STU permits LCA _or_ camber plates, not both; GT3 comes with both) Diminishing returns with power. The only thing GT3 can't get in SS is springs, but OE springs are already close to what we'd be using for ST. I would never expect any Porsche to approach SS times. If you took a GT3 and gave it ST mods, it would see very little gain because it already comes stock in ST trim; there's just not much left to do to it for optimization. Yet 981 and 718 are supposed to be .66 seconds faster than a GT3? With a better suspension, rear-steer, etc? SST Porsches are not the car to have for the class.

Z06s will find more time in SST than in AS, there is no doubt. But I would not expect them to find as much time with ST mods than, say, an M3 or STi or most other cars do from Street to ST, just because Z06 is closer to ST performance from the factory than a lot of other ST cars that can see much larger % improvements in wheels, tires, camber, springs, power. I think SST Z06 is one of the few cars capable of raw-timing SS GT3s. But not 0.66 seconds faster.

Any course that has even the slightest disadvantage to the Z06s will be destroyed by an Elise.

Last edited by sjfehr; 12-03-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2021 | 07:55 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

As bad as the seats are in a C5Z, I'd argue just that allowance paired with long tube headers, race cats and a lightweight battery with wider front wheels would be serious low hanging fruit. I guarantee there's more. Anyone going this rabbit hole needs to fully invested.
Old 12-08-2021 | 02:04 PM
GT4Pat
Intermediate

Oh, I'm well aware GT3 is not in SST. My point was that an SS GT3 has more camber and more power than any STU or SST Porsche, yet the STU and SST Porsches are paxed significantly stiffer than SS. (STU permits LCA _or_ camber plates, not both; GT3 comes with both) Diminishing returns with power. The only thing GT3 can't get in SS is springs, but OE springs are already close to what we'd be using for ST. I would never expect any Porsche to approach SS times. If you took a GT3 and gave it ST mods, it would see very little gain because it already comes stock in ST trim; there's just not much left to do to it for optimization. Yet 981 and 718 are supposed to be .66 seconds faster than a GT3? With a better suspension, rear-steer, etc? SST Porsches are not the car to have for the class.

Z06s will find more time in SST than in AS, there is no doubt. But I would not expect them to find as much time with ST mods than, say, an M3 or STi or most other cars do from Street to ST, just because Z06 is closer to ST performance from the factory than a lot of other ST cars that can see much larger % improvements in wheels, tires, camber, springs, power. I think SST Z06 is one of the few cars capable of raw-timing SS GT3s. But not 0.66 seconds faster.

Any course that has even the slightest disadvantage to the Z06s will be destroyed by an Elise.
I would like to see the course that a Z06 is at a disadvantage to an Elise... maybe a runway slalom course.... Having run both cars... a national championship in a Z06 and ......5-6 runner ups in an Elise... As soon as you slow down an Elise it NEVER recovers... The corvette has power to spare...the Elise is running at 10 10th all the time, no room for error..

I agree on the GT3 verses the other car approach... You pay less to buy a vette then you spend to make it good. The GT3 (and many other P cars) come ready to go.... you pay up front..

Quick Reply: 2022 SCCA PAX released