Notices

DSC sport tuning for autocross

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 02:38 AM
David Borden
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
Off topic, that's two courses you've shared from that site that are basically just 4 drag strips. You could get away with a very loose car there and not pay for it much.
Saturdays course was much tighter with some tight slaloms and the car was super stable. Here is the video

Last edited by David Borden; 07-01-2021 at 02:53 AM. Reason: added video
Old 09-25-2021, 02:45 PM
David Borden
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Given most well setup Autocross cars develop well over 1g in lateral acceleration for most steady state corners, it seems that when combining the G table with shock and brake additive values from those tables, you are no longer taking advantage of the 'active' features of the DSC box. What are peoples thoughts on this?

If the DSC guys are monitoring this thread, is there any plan to offer the software with a modified G-table that increases the max G threshold to 1.5 or something like that so we can tune the software for where the car spends most of its time with regards to G forces?

David
The following users liked this post:
daaa nope (09-25-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 04:11 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 306 Posts

Can the stock G sensor read beyond 1g?
Old 09-25-2021, 04:53 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by David Borden
Given most well setup Autocross cars develop well over 1g in lateral acceleration for most steady state corners, it seems that when combining the G table with shock and brake additive values from those tables, you are no longer taking advantage of the 'active' features of the DSC box. What are peoples thoughts on this?
I don't think there is any need to tweak in that range specifically. Remember previous statements about how slow the valves in the shocks are to react will want you to already have them "fully" active all the time for autox and thus the comfort threshold should be set to 0. Really I think there is more value in tweaking the low and mid velocities so you are addressing handling you are probably targeting anyway. Using the DSC at Nats, it was quite obvious I was able to dial my car back from something difficult to drive run 1 both days into something much better though I should have changed the rear bar as well.

Last edited by abqautoxer; 09-25-2021 at 04:56 PM.
David Borden (09-26-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 03:49 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by daaa nope
Can the stock G sensor read beyond 1g?
I was hoping DSC would answer this. I would assume so given the "g meter' in the dash shows values well over 1G.

My last event of the year I set the entire G table to 100% force all the time in every cell. I feared it might change the balance of the car but the result was something that felt far more like conventional shocks and thus completely predictable than anything else so far. I'm going to move forward with this for 2022.

Last edited by abqautoxer; 10-28-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Z3papa (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 02:03 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Just to keep this up to date.

If you are using a Macbook, Parallels using Coherence mode is worth every penny. Allow it to run just like another Mac app and gets full speed unlike running DSC in a VM. However, if you buy a newer M1 Macbook, please note:For Win 11 on an M1 Mac, you need to download the universal driver

https://www.silabs.com/developers/us...ge-vcp-drivers

Unzip to a folder.

Install the INF by right clicking on it while in disable driver signing mode (https://gearupwindows.com/how-to-dis...windows-11-10/):

Old 01-07-2023, 02:38 PM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 308 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead.
Has anyone been able to cure the wheel hop on standing starts that seems to not exist on the OEM controller but does on the DSC?
Old 02-21-2023, 04:48 PM
AdventureFlea
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sgreer78
Bringing this back from the dead.
Has anyone been able to cure the wheel hop on standing starts that seems to not exist on the OEM controller but does on the DSC?
Launch harder... Honestly I no longer have my GT4 map, but Doug and I had no issues with this when I had the GT4 and the box
Z3papa (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 05:14 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Is the GT4 PDK?

My Spyder is not - but I haven't felt the need to launch the car hard enough to generate wheelspin. I just walk it out gentle.- otherwise the clutch definitely won't last.

I guess with PDK the clutches are more durable and tolerate launch control. Otherwise - I'd recommend just launching gently. The 4.0 has enough mid-range grunt, it usually dead hooks and just pulls away.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:35 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by AdventureFlea
Launch harder... Honestly I no longer have my GT4 map, but Doug and I had no issues with this when I had the GT4 and the box
LOL -- Yeah -- because everyone knows Sean likes to ***** foot his launches.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:22 PM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by AdventureFlea
Yeah. PDK is LC or floor it. Flooring gets a very short rollout before it starts wanting to shake itself to death and LC isn't practical in many situations. Tom from DSC gave me a couple of things to try with the controller's LC parameters, which I'll try. On my 981 the fix was definitely revving to 6k and dropping the clutch.
Old 08-08-2023, 01:39 AM
saxonite
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anyone heard if there is talk about allowing DSC in other street classes next year? To me it seems odd only SS gets the option to do so but I’m hoping the heavily reclassing for next year opens this up.
Old 08-08-2023, 12:32 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by saxonite
Has anyone heard if there is talk about allowing DSC in other street classes next year? To me it seems odd only SS gets the option to do so but I’m hoping the heavily reclassing for next year opens this up.
I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 08-08-2023, 12:50 PM
BmacIL
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by saxonite
If they push vehicles that can legally use it in SS down, they should let those people continue to use it and also grandfather that in for any others where that applies in class. It would be crazy to allow the 718 to have DSC controller and not the 981 in the same class, for instance.
Z3papa (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 01:08 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BmacIL
If they push vehicles that can legally use it in SS down, they should let those people continue to use it and also grandfather that in for any others where that applies in class. It would be crazy to allow the 718 to have DSC controller and not the 981 in the same class, for instance.
That would only make sense. But that opens up another can of worms when it comes to SCCA and "making sense"....

I do have a 718 DSC Sport controller for sale if anybody here is looking for one. Pretty much brand new.

Quick Reply: DSC sport tuning for autocross