Notices

Is this idea worth a letter? (987.1/.2 base classing)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 03:18 PM
Wrong_Way
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this idea worth a letter? (987.1/.2 base classing)

So, as somebody who's likely to find themselves in a 987 base fairly soon, my attention has turned toward classing. Specifically toward how buried the base is in BS. I'm considering submitting a letter to suggest dropping the 987.1/.2 base down to CS. To my untrained eye, it would be a pretty good matchup with the ND2. Very similar p/w ratios, somewhat similar 2nd gear speeds, and similar acceleration times. I would think any power advantages the Cayman has would be negated by the McStruts and lack of LSD (in the case of the .1). That's about the extent of my analytical knowledge. I know nothing of thrust curves, etc, so maybe I'm way off in left field. But given the availability of base models and the price point at which they can be obtained, it seems like an attractive proposition. Please feel free to shoot me down so I save myself the pain of submitting a silly letter, only to be mocked and ridiculed over at RRAx.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:28 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Thank you for your input.

Seriously though, there's not much upside to even taking a chance at messing up an extremely popular, nearly spec class with a paying program sponsor's product. Especially when the proposed car is old, fairly rare, and perceived as expensive to maintain.

If you want to run CS in a Porsche get a 986S. One trophied at Lincoln so it's not a totally lost cause. If you want a 987 get an S and run BS, it's totally competitive.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:56 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I wrote a similar letter last year (plus 987.2S to BS) and was thanked for my input. That said, next year is different than last year. Miata ND2 will make CS faster, and M2 has already made BS faster. Being buried is less relevant than being perceived as a threat to the MX-5s in CS as MX-5 is the performance target for the class.

Put as much quantitative information as you can to try to show why 987.1/.2 base are slower than the other cars in the class. You have to show that it's slower than an MX-5 or there's no chance of it happening.

Or if you haven't bought yet, buying a 987.1S for BS would be a safer bet than hoping for an unlikely classing change (and a funner car!)
Old 09-15-2018, 03:34 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Full disclosure: I wrote a letter to the SAC two years ago opposing the proposal to move the bar Cayman to CS.

Originally Posted by Wrong_Way
given the availability of base models and the price point at which they can be obtained, it seems like an attractive proposition.
Here's the problem: the Cayman to have is the one with Sport Chrono and PASM. Base Caymans with those options are actually *very* rare -- much rarer than similarly equipped Cayman S's. Given that, I expect the SAC would only consider your request if it decided that even an optimally optioned Cayman would be little threat to CS. Personally, I would thank you for your input.

Originally Posted by Wrong_Way
mocked and ridiculed over at RRAx.
All of the regulars here also frequent RRAX. Having said that, we're among the nicer RRAX folks.

Quick Reply: Is this idea worth a letter? (987.1/.2 base classing)