2018 Autocross Videos - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

2018 Autocross Videos

Old 09-30-2018, 12:31 PM
  #16  
ABusLux
User
 
ABusLux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Geneva, CH
Posts: 32
Default

My best pass in the autocross station as part of the two-day Swiss national racing license program in Hockenheim (the famous Mercedes tower can be seen at one point in the video). I was surprised to set the two best times of my group given my little experience on the race track and the fact that in my group there were a 991.2 GT3 RS, a 991.1 GT3 and a 997 Turbo.

ABusLux is offline  
Old 10-01-2018, 12:04 AM
  #17  
Spectre23
User
 
Spectre23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 23
Default

Here is today's fastest. It doesn't look like it in the video, but I was sliding all over on this run. Ended up 2nd PAX. Again. Man, so many second place PAX finishes this year. This time there was 83 racers. At least it wasn't one of those marshmallow classed Fords that beat me this time.
Spectre23 is offline  
Old 10-01-2018, 11:22 PM
  #18  
steguis
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
steguis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 17
Default

Nice run. Car looks really well behaved out there.
steguis is offline  
Old 10-01-2018, 11:35 PM
  #19  
Spectre23
User
 
Spectre23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 23
Default

Originally Posted by steguis View Post
Nice run. Car looks really well behaved out there.
Thanks. It was off, it felt like I had less grip that run than all my others, but it totally didn't come through on the video. BTW, the guy that beat me in PAX was the guy that got 4th at nationals this year in STS in a CRX.
Spectre23 is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 05:06 PM
  #20  
sjfehr
Super User
 
sjfehr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 2,768
Default

Originally Posted by Spectre23 View Post
Here is today's fastest. It doesn't look like it in the video, but I was sliding all over on this run. Ended up 2nd PAX. Again. Man, so many second place PAX finishes this year. This time there was 83 racers. At least it wasn't one of those marshmallow classed Fords that beat me this time.
https://youtu.be/nzkYTRkU9rM
So long as you weren't raw-timed by a civic or something.

Nice run. Nice looking site, too!
sjfehr is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 12:13 AM
  #21  
Spectre23
User
 
Spectre23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 23
Default

Originally Posted by sjfehr View Post
So long as you weren't raw-timed by a civic or something.

Nice run. Nice looking site, too!
CRX doesn't count as a Civic, right?
Spectre23 is offline  
Old 10-04-2018, 06:59 PM
  #22  
Spectre23
User
 
Spectre23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 23
Default

Here is a fun promo vid for our divisional event happening next month.
Spectre23 is offline  
Old 10-04-2018, 07:04 PM
  #23  
webweaver
User
Thread Starter
 
webweaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: San Franscisco Bay Area
Posts: 40
Default

Originally Posted by Spectre23 View Post
Here is a fun promo vid for our divisional event happening next month.
https://youtu.be/1ZMHZY7v-tk
Awesome video, thanks for posting!
webweaver is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 01:48 PM
  #24  
chriswd62
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
chriswd62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 71
Default Video of my 718 at Bader Field, NJ - Battle at the Bay. Pax win.

SJR SCCA Battle at the Bay - Day 2: #62 AS - 60.263 - 718 Porsche Cayman.

chriswd62 is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 02:17 PM
  #25  
Spectre23
User
 
Spectre23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 23
Default

Looks like a nice flowing course.
Spectre23 is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 12:32 PM
  #26  
edfishjr
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 372
Default

Originally Posted by chriswd62 View Post
SJR SCCA Battle at the Bay - Day 2: #62 AS - 60.263 - 718 Porsche Cayman.

https://youtu.be/tzngZmUADeM
Nice driving.

Just something that stood out to me: the big sweeper that starts at about :19

You took it wide all the way around and treated it as a long, decreasing radius corner so you could backside the last cone and be properly set up for the next feature. You did it exactly right, given that "idea" of the corner. The problem is the very long time and distance to get to the apex cone.

I think that corner was actually better treated as two corners, or more properly a double-apex corner, by taking a fast and shorter line through the first half, making one apex, then taking the line you have to to get to the 2nd apex, which probably requires light braking and turning, treating the 2nd half as a decreasing radius corner, but connected to the first.

Anybody else see it this way?
edfishjr is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 01:50 PM
  #27  
sjfehr
Super User
 
sjfehr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 2,768
Default

Originally Posted by edfishjr View Post
Nice driving.

Just something that stood out to me: the big sweeper that starts at about :19

You took it wide all the way around and treated it as a long, decreasing radius corner so you could backside the last cone and be properly set up for the next feature. You did it exactly right, given that "idea" of the corner. The problem is the very long time and distance to get to the apex cone.

I think that corner was actually better treated as two corners, or more properly a double-apex corner, by taking a fast and shorter line through the first half, making one apex, then taking the line you have to to get to the 2nd apex, which probably requires light braking and turning, treating the 2nd half as a decreasing radius corner, but connected to the first.

Anybody else see it this way?
I probably would have double-apexed that corner, but I like to aggressively trail-brake, and I don't think there would be much of a time difference between the two lines. If Chris's car was loose, the line he drove is probably the right one.

Nice driving, Chris, and congrats on the pax win! Looks like a super fun course. One note: I see a lot of small corrections in your steering; was your car loose?
sjfehr is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 02:03 PM
  #28  
sjfehr
Super User
 
sjfehr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 2,768
Default

Here's my video from North Carolina Autocross Championships 2-day event at ZMax in Charlotte, VA, last weekend. I've never driven on a surface quite like this before- was thick sealed asphalt and though overall grip was high, I think it was entirely from adhesion with very little mechanical, and requires HUGE setup changes as the typical tire CoF curve is much steeper than other surfaces, which heavily favors lightness and thus the heavy end lose grip and cars with front-weight-bias push badly. My 987.2S was extremely loose at first, which made taking the fast transitions very frustrating. I ended up having to drop my rear pressures 5psi from normal to get the car handling relatively normally, but I didn't figure that out until Sunday. I ended up 3rd in AS for the weekend behind #1 and #2 in the country, Bill Bostic and John Wolf, who were codriving John's Z06 like they did at nationals, and this is his home track. I didn't drive as well as I could have (and should have), but it was still two really fun courses. I also really liked the open "choose your own corner" sweepers which are hard for novices to follow visually and rarely used at regional events, but help separate the field at national-level events like this one. And this was nationals-style: people drove here from as far as Texas and Canada just for this event. They may be hosting 1-2 national events next year, so, FYI if you're in a Boxster/Cayman, drop your rears 5psi from normal at ZMax and go from there. I ended up bleeding out so much air that TPMS was bitching at me on my way back to paddock that I had a flat tire, lol.



I just wish I knew how much of my time difference from Bill Bostic was car, how much was tire (I'm on RE-71R and they're running much wider BFGs), and how much was simply driver's skill. SSC is really tempting, hahaha. And, sadly, Marc Portanova didn't let me drive his 718S.
sjfehr is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 04:23 PM
  #29  
chriswd62
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
chriswd62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 71
Default

Originally Posted by sjfehr View Post
I probably would have double-apexed that corner, but I like to aggressively trail-brake, and I don't think there would be much of a time difference between the two lines. If Chris's car was loose, the line he drove is probably the right one.

Nice driving, Chris, and congrats on the pax win! Looks like a super fun course. One note: I see a lot of small corrections in your steering; was your car loose?
Thanks. Yes. I read it like a decreasing radius turn and took the late apex approach. The main reasons were to keep the car in "boost" and the limited amount of semi-straight breaking zone. My car is set up to be a bit on the loose side, since I skipped the GT3 front bar this time around. Taking the double apex line would have shaved distance, but also would have dropped to a lower cornering speed. If the 718 falls out of boost it's game over, so I'm super sensitive to keeping the throttle open and not dropping below 2,500 RPM. Plus, I'm horrible at the 2nd to 1st downshift.




chriswd62 is offline  
Old 10-13-2018, 01:05 AM
  #30  
edfishjr
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 372
Default

Originally Posted by chriswd62 View Post
Thanks. Yes. I read it like a decreasing radius turn and took the late apex approach. The main reasons were to keep the car in "boost" and the limited amount of semi-straight breaking zone. My car is set up to be a bit on the loose side, since I skipped the GT3 front bar this time around. Taking the double apex line would have shaved distance, but also would have dropped to a lower cornering speed. If the 718 falls out of boost it's game over, so I'm super sensitive to keeping the throttle open and not dropping below 2,500 RPM. Plus, I'm horrible at the 2nd to 1st downshift.
I didn't even think about staying on-boost... just assumed these new-fangled turbos work down to ~1500. What speed is 2500 rpm in 2nd?
edfishjr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Autocross Videos


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: