Notices

2018 Autocross Videos

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 11:18 PM
webweaver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Autocross Videos

Please post your 2018 autocross videos here.

To get started, I'm posting the videos I took of my best runs at the 2-day event this past weeked in Marina, CA. Loma Prieta Region and Golden Gate Regions organized two back-to-back autocross events as part of Zone 7's autocross series.

Saturday:

Sunday:
Old 04-25-2018, 08:31 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Two autocrosses in April, two overall wins. I was a bit bummed about having the wet heat in March, but I like the way this season has shaped up after that.

Got a new phone before this event, and am trying out new phone telemetry software (Track Addict). Seems to work pretty well and it's free. Can't figure out how to mute the 2nd video in RaceRender, though, hmmm:
Old 04-29-2018, 08:14 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Slow-motion video of my wife launching our 2010 Boxster S PDK at a time trial at NCCAR today. This wasn't using launch control, just a launch from idle. The car was in Sport+ with PSM left on. Computer does a pretty good job of launching, I do it the same way for ProSolo, as it's much more repeatable than launch control and still pretty quick.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:21 PM
webweaver
Intermediate

Here are my best runs at the Golden Gate Lotus Chapter autocross this Saturday, on Cinco de Mayo. The course was resembling a sombrero, and was a very technical one.

In the morning I ran the whole course in 2nd gear. After reviewing the side views, I am pretty pleased with how close I was to cones in different sections of the course. In the afternoon I ran the first section of the course in 1st gear, which felt better in 1st gear, but it was in fact 0.010 seconds slower. Mostly because I drove a slightly longer distance by being a little farther away from cones.

Morning run:

Afternoon run:
Old 05-06-2018, 07:54 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Had fun playing in the rain today. Lot of fairweather autocrossers didn't show up, so we all got lots of runs. Ended up my 2nd run was my best time, though, as I coned away all my later faster runs, lol.

Not an autocross, but we had an autocross-style standing start time trial last weekend that was really fun:
Old 05-09-2018, 11:38 AM
Spectre23
Track Day

Here is my fastest from our last event. Good for 8th PAX. 2nd in BS. Just 0.068 behind first place. I got a 38.816 and first was a 38.748. I am still waiting on my RE-71's to show up, so I am on junky Federal 595 RS-rr tires in stock size on the heavy stock wheels. I did put on the Tarrett front bar and droplinks before this event though.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:01 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

This was from the 2018 pittrace Match tour... My 911 has spent more time sitting than being exercised over the last few years, so I'm still dusting the cobwebs off my driving style for the car.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:24 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Carnival is in town this month! Which makes it interesting because the carnival workers camp on our autocross site... Turnout was light because torrential rain was forecast, but we managed to get everyone 5 dry runs and were done by 12:30, right before the rains really hit. Lots of Porsches today, which was fun. I ended up taking FTD with a 2 second margin and top overall. Makes it 3/3 with my local region this year.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:00 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Duplicate, sorry
Old 06-06-2018, 05:08 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Last weekend at OVR
Old 09-01-2018, 01:04 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

This is pro driver Dion von Moltke @ Racers 360 giving me video coaching on video from my most recent autocross. Thought y'all might appreciate it, too. I took top overall pax for the event, so it wasn't a slow run, but I know I'm leaving time out there, and it's nice to have help to find it. I'm usually great about 9-3 hand position on the track, but our site is so small (270 degrees of steering input on my corners), that I subconsciously choke up on the wheel. I'm going to make more of an effort for hand placement this weekend and also try trailbraking a little different like he suggests.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:40 AM
Panzer966
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few runs from my last 2 events at Western Speedway on Vancouver Island. First video had a really fast course.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:27 AM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
This is pro driver Dion von Moltke @ Racers 360 giving me video coaching on video from my most recent autocross. Thought y'all might appreciate it, too. I took top overall pax for the event, so it wasn't a slow run, but I know I'm leaving time out there, and it's nice to have help to find it. I'm usually great about 9-3 hand position on the track, but our site is so small (270 degrees of steering input on my corners), that I subconsciously choke up on the wheel. I'm going to make more of an effort for hand placement this weekend and also try trailbraking a little different like he suggests.
Thanks for sharing, this. I find myself instinctively adding a little throttle mid corner, lifting, then going back to the gas to make the front end bite a little more sometimes, so the trail braking pressure charts he sketched out were particularly interesting. I feel like I owe you some $ now haha

Since you're investing in this feedback and gopros are best at picking up wind noise and not nuances of when you're on the throttle, you might want to try out one of these deadcats that sticks onto the open clear caseback door:
Amazon Amazon
This one works great for me in blocking most wind noise, even when the camera is mounted outside the car behind my left shoulder. Granted I don't have a stock exhaust. It's a far cry from having actual throttle trace data, but hey it's 15 bucks
Old 09-19-2018, 03:32 PM
steguis
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2nd event in my 07 CS (I call her "Kay") to take the BS win locally with NNJR SCCA this past weekend. Really loving this car a lot. You can get super stupid and it doesn't do anything bad at all. Even when I was exploring the limits to try and get her sideways, I found it extremely easy to correct.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:28 PM
Spectre23
Track Day

Default Many updates

It took me a few events to click with my Cayman. As soon as the wife's time started getting close to me is about when it clicked. On the Federal RS-RR tires I was typically top 15 PAX, but never top 10. Once I got my lightweight OZ's and RE-71r's I got a bit better.
This run was good for 5th PAX

This one was good for 3rd PAX

Here is another 3rd PAX

And another 3rd PAX. Do you see a trend yet?

And here is a coned run that would not have improved on my 2nd place PAX, but I didn't get good video of the clean run. Also, the mount for the Waylens has been a bit sloppy the last few events. Once I fix my 3D printer, I will remedy that.

Quick Reply: 2018 Autocross Videos