Notices

first autocross Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 11:05 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default first autocross Sunday

I'm doing my first autocross on Sunday at NJ Meadowlands with PCA-SCCA. I am only doing the "fun" group. I have three tire choices. I am not competing so I know it does not really matter. It is supposed to be 50 and rainy. My winter tires. Pirelli Sottozeros are still on. I'm thinking of leaving them. Second choice, OEM Bridgestone Potenzas with half tread left. 3rd choice is brand new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s's on new rims sitting in my garage. Hat to F up a brand new tire, so I'm leaning toward the first two choices. Any thoughts? Will autocross mess up my winter tires?
Old 04-10-2018, 01:48 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take your snow tires off -- depending on your driving style and how abrasive the lot is, you could potentially destroy them in a single day of autocrossing.

50's not that cold -- I'd have no concerns about running the Michelins, personally.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:07 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Oh, you'll have fun!! And yeah, I'd run the MP4S, too. 50F is plenty warm enough, and they'll warm up as you drive them, too.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:17 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I've seen the MP4S in action in the cold and rain last year at Pittrace and it was impressive. I plan on running my BFGs in 45 and rainy on Sunday. Worst case you learn some car control, which is really the point, right?
Old 04-10-2018, 07:26 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by burglar
I've seen the MP4S in action in the cold and rain last year at Pittrace and it was impressive. I plan on running my BFGs in 45 and rainy on Sunday. Worst case you learn some car control, which is really the point, right?
I've ran RE-71R when there was literally ice in a slalom. Last year's first event was supposed to be raining, but ended up as snow, sleet, and hail. That was an interesting event. A guy that drove down from Boston on sticker RE-71Rs looking for an event that wasn't canceled ended up taking FTD, lol.

The NASA event at VIR two weeks ago was a mess with several inches of snow falling overnight. They asked the guys that had street tires like MP4S, VR1 and RS4 to drive the track and clear the slush off so the guys on r-comp slicks could run. I don't get why people are afraid to run Michelins when it's 50F out. That story of the defective batch of Corvette tires?

Every car in this photo was on track pretty soon thereafter, and not on snow tires.
Name:  isFchWU.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  96.4 KB

And the first lap of the NASA Lightning race:
Facebook Post
Old 04-12-2018, 03:32 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I've ran RE-71R when there was literally ice in a slalom. Last year's first event was supposed to be raining, but ended up as snow, sleet, and hail. That was an interesting event. A guy that drove down from Boston on sticker RE-71Rs looking for an event that wasn't canceled ended up taking FTD, lol.
This is good to know as the RE71-R is what I'm likely to put on my car when my new wheels show up.

Originally Posted by burglar
I'm waiting on my cheater wheels to show up before I buy tires and let you co-drive.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:28 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Only thing to think about with the M tires is that they are brand spanking new and have mold release on the outside. Tough to scrub that stuff off if it rains.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:08 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for all your replies. After all that they cancelled due to not enough people. Ugh. I did wind up puting my new Michelins on. Drove a little today. Man they feel different than my winter tires!
Old 04-15-2018, 07:28 AM
Raucky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend the RE-71s once you need another fun set of tires. Or if you find yourself wanting another set of wheels and tires. I've run these on lapping days and all kinds of different autoX events from asphalt to concrete and they are amazing for a street tire.

Quick Reply: first autocross Sunday