Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Pure analog sweetness

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 02:06 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pure analog sweetness

I've had a Sansui 8080db for years, but haven't used it lately. When I hooked it up to a turntable over the weekend, it sounded horrible: static, dropouts, yuch. Yesterday, I finally found my can of Deoxit, took the bottom off, and gave the switches and verniers a good spray.

What a difference. Clear as a bell, now. I put on Atlanta Rythym Section's Red Tape, "Jukin'", and I couldn't help but smiling. Pure analog, with no digital conversion, on a close array.

Time to start transferring some old LPs to CD, for in car use.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:00 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Cool. Nothing like the sound of vinyl. Pops & all.
Count yourself lucky that 35 year old capacitors didn't leak all over.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wc11
Cool. Nothing like the sound of vinyl. Pops & all.
Count yourself lucky that 35 year old capacitors didn't leak all over.
Lucky for sure. Inside was a little dusty, that's all. I was surprised none of the inside fuses were blown. I have no idea of what any of them are for. I bought this receiver used (cheaply) several years ago. Never tried using the Dolby controls, as I hear they usually go bad.

Took me forever last night to figure out how to correctly connect the turntable, receiver, and computer, so that I could record LPs onto the computer for processing. All the little mini-plugs on the back of the computer soundcard looked exactly alike, and there is only one way that works without either distortion or feedback. Finally got it right.

Then I had to remember how to use my ancient copy of Steinberg's Clean! 2.0. Duh.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:47 PM
sprio
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing quite like that Sansui sound - I've got a G-801 in one room, and a BA-5000/CA-2000 combo in another - glad you got yours out of mothballs!
Old 06-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Moe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 167 Posts

Always wanted the BA-5000 CA-2000, but had to settle for an AU-9900 about 20 yrs ago... She just quit working last month...

Guess I'll take the covers off check it out visually, and try some DeOxit... Left channel quit then it wouldn't turn on completly... Red light stays on...
Old 06-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Dag Johnsen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just buy a band to sing for you, no electronics involved. Bet you would hate it!
Old 06-23-2013, 10:43 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dag Johnsen
Just buy a band to sing for you, no electronics involved. Bet you would hate it!
Kind of hard to fit more than just a banjo player in one of my cars.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bet it's OK

I accumulated a bunch of good old stuff. I am always playing with combinations looking for synergies, as they all (seem to) have slightly different signatures.

I have an 8080db that has a bad habit of losing channels. Even shortly after cleaning and faderlubing. I turn the volume down, work the switches and pots, and the channel comes back. It runs a couple of Klipch speakers in my barn. Great low end. I rescued it, and had a tech friend repair it. Rated at 85 wpc, it bench tested at 92

Grado Gold - SL 1200 through a Marantz phono end, or a Kenny tuner, or even an old Nak Deck. Yeah alalog rules.

Quick Reply: Pure analog sweetness