Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Basic amp question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 06:14 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Fair enough Kevin if you know for a fact. Some of their home audio cube speakers are 1/2 ohm and they often do strange things(imp wise) no one else in the audio world does, but the 1/2 ohm cubes didn't *swing* to a dead short and are happily working many years later.

Many 2 ohm stable amps have been fried by ppl not understanding imp curves, who relied on nominal imp and had load dip below 2 ohms due to freq played(SPL guys mostly but not always), so I have to disagree with you there. Many of us(back in the day) used to design set ups with ultra stable amps, above their minimum load for this very reason. My zeropoints were 1 ohm stable(1/2 ohm stereo) but I never went below 2 ohm mono, even though they could allegedly drive a nail, as I couldn't afford to replace it if I smoked it.

Now I am sure if Kevin is wrong and the unknown amp you are intending to use, does go up in smoke, then of course he will happily buy you a replacement and so you should throw caution to the wind and just hook it up lol what could possibly go wrong with that plan ?
peace
Cyberpunky

Last edited by Cyberpunky; 05-31-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:32 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

click here for an example of Bose 1/2 ohm car speakers

Click here for an example of Bose home audio speakers with 1/2 ohm imp
Old 05-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Right out of the Bose acoustimass operators guide
Acoustimass 6 system:
Compatible with A/V receivers and amplifiers rated from 10 to150 watts per channel, rated
from 4 to 8 ohms
Old 05-31-2013, 09:10 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

*sigh* yes Kevin they do make speakers that are designed specifically to be used with normal amps and I am glad you found that, even though that is common knowledge, however the fact they make some speakers for that application, doesn't mean all their speakers are safe for use with normal amps. I sold Bose gear for many years, and the speakers that comes with their life style systems are a different speaker to the ones they sell for use with a normal amp. The difference is the imp. This is also common knowledge. Try google and see for your self. It is amazing what information is out there for anyone to find, if they can be bothered.

I guess anyone can offer advice online and as they have no responsibility for any poor outcome that advice causes, as it is valued at exactly what it cost. Nothing. Personally I find it particularly bad form to offer advice when you don't really know what you are talking about and that could have expensive consequences. A few key strokes cost nothing but time, but buying an amp and smoking it costs real money and IMO is best avoided.

To the OP, just replace the speakers, as replacements are cheap and will more than likely sound a whole lot better and you are worry free. Good Luck
Old 05-31-2013, 11:46 PM
LT Texan
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Yup. Since your amp is 2 ohm stable, just plug'n'play.
And this is where the thread should have ended.

With the 2nd post.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cyberpunky - As I said the Bose speakers in Porsches are 2 ohm. this is a fact. It seems you want to continue to make excuses and say I am giving advice not knowing anything. You are the one who seems not to know what the specs are on the Porsche speakers, and you are the one who provided the link to the acoustimass 6 system trying to push the fact that they are 1/2 ohm speakers, yet if you are so well versed you would know that any of those Bose satellite speakers you refer to are to be used with some sort of controller or module, not direct to an amp. I suggest you do your homework and find out the real specs of the Porsche Bose speakers, and learn more about the lifestyle speakers before you give the bad advice, and push someone to spend money they don't have to.
So I suggest before you start insinuating bad advice on my part you do your homework!

Quick Reply: Basic amp question