Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Power Amps...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Moe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Power Amps...

Wife wants me to drag out the Turntable so she can play 'Records' again... So out comes the old Junk...

I have 2 cheap Turntables, Technics and Onkyo... New Old Shure Cartridges..

SAE TWO PA-10 Preamp to handle both tables...

A pair of Maggie Planers 1.5's I think... 4 ohm...

My Phase Linear 400 died last year, so I need an amp...

Can't decide between:

Crown XLS1500 525 watts @ 4 ohms... $399 China

QSC GX3 425 watts @ 4 ohms... $299 USA

QSC GX5 700 watts @ 4ohms... $399 USA

Fan Noise?

I'll be using the amp till the Novelty of Old Records wears off, then I'll be using it for Guitar, Bass or Whatever... I don't wanna be short on Power or Reliability... My Gut says Crown, but 'made in China' makes me nervous... I heard Beringhers have loud fans and the power is over-rated...

I want it for the long haul...

I'm tired of having the Vintage 'Flame Linear' 400 fixed, and the speakers it blows...

Thanks... I don't need unaffordable High End...
Old 08-16-2012, 08:34 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moe ...? dat you ... and Maggies no less ......

Are you looking to purchase new or used, professional PA or domestic, the amps you list are PA amps, if used lots of choices. The Maggie's will need current to sound proper, of the amps listed , i prefer the QSC, if my choice at that price point i would buy used, Adcom 555 or Hafler, better sonics than the PA amps listed.

You can get good bang per buck here also : New !!!

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/...roducts/upa200
Old 08-17-2012, 03:46 AM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

I was going to recommend emotiva as well, I've had their LPA-1 (no longer sold) for 6-7 years now and it has been great. I've used rotel and adcom in my stereos before and the emotive is far superior. I've had the opportunity to test my dad's mcintosh in my system and it was obviously better, but I've also plugged my roommate's parasound into them and I think the emotiva as every bit as good.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Moe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Moe ...? dat you ... and Maggies no less ......
Yep, when us RedNecks wanna hear Jazz, we wanna hear Jazz... Which is about all these Maggies are good for...

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Are you looking to purchase new or used, professional PA or domestic, the amps you list are PA amps, if used lots of choices. The Maggie's will need current to sound proper, of the amps listed , i prefer the QSC, if my choice at that price point i would buy used, Adcom 555 or Hafler, better sonics than the PA amps listed.
I'm lookin' for Brand New Stuff cause I don't want any doubt on condition of the amp or anyone else's problems...

I allready have an Adcom 555 and if IIRC, I wasn't impressed... Sounded Weak... The 555 is now powering a pair of effecient JBL 4312's on the Patio, since the Flame Linear 400 crapped out...

I've read some Maggie owners on the net use QSC and love em'... Seems 'High Watts' are alot cheaper in the Pro-Sound Market, and I'm only worried about Fan Noise, not the way the amp 'Looks'...

Best Buy sells a Samson Servo 600, 300 wpc @ 4ohms $329 that I'll have to go listen too... Supposed to be a Recording Studio amp...

I need to post this in OT...
Old 08-21-2012, 04:01 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

And if the novelty doesn't ear off?

If you don't mind used i have a pair of Hafler D-200's upgraded with the blue caps and bridged for mono use not sure how they handle 4 ohms but they are rated at 333 watts each at 8 ohms. Very nice cheap power.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Moe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
And if the novelty doesn't ear off?

If you don't mind used i have a pair of Hafler D-200's upgraded with the blue caps and bridged for mono use not sure how they handle 4 ohms but they are rated at 333 watts each at 8 ohms. Very nice cheap power.
I'll do some investigating on Hafler...

So, how Cheap is Cheap Power?
Old 08-22-2012, 06:53 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moe
Yep, when us RedNecks wanna hear Jazz, we wanna hear Jazz... Which is about all these Maggies are good for...

I'm lookin' for Brand New Stuff cause I don't want any doubt on condition of the amp or anyone else's problems...

I allready have an Adcom 555 and if IIRC, I wasn't impressed... Sounded Weak... The 555 is now powering a pair of effecient JBL 4312's on the Patio, since the Flame Linear 400 crapped out...

I've read some Maggie owners on the net use QSC and love em'... Seems 'High Watts' are alot cheaper in the Pro-Sound Market, and I'm only worried about Fan Noise, not the way the amp 'Looks'...

Best Buy sells a Samson Servo 600, 300 wpc @ 4ohms $329 that I'll have to go listen too... Supposed to be a Recording Studio amp...

I need to post this in OT...
Then give the QSC a try, i have used them in the past , before they all went class-d . I did like the sound of the originals , never used one in the house thou ...

The Adcoms, tend to sound small, not weak , ( i have used them on 2 ohm apps before) and now that i know you're a critical listening redneck

Much easier task ... !!

I'm afraid you will not match the QSC for watt vs dollar , try one , let me know , who knows, if Ohhh gets another 4yrs, it may be all we can afford ...
Old 06-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Moe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update:
Old 06-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Moe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update:

Still using the SAE PreAmp with a cheap Harmon Kardon Tuner recieving my Transmitted Computer audio...

Bought the QSC GX-5 and changed the Fan to a ball bearing type... That stock fan was way too loud...

Made up some TRS-RCA Balanced Cables to go from the PreAmp to the Aural Exicter w/ Big Bottom and TRS XLR to the QSC...

These Maggies have never sounded better...

Quick Reply: Power Amps...