Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Infrared Repeaters and Soundbars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:33 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infrared Repeaters and Soundbars?

I'm moving to a house where the TV in the family room is mounted above the fireplace mantle, and the AV equipment will be housed in a closet (pre-wired to TV with HDMI cable, I hope). Does anyone have a recommendation regarding an IR Repeater to operate the components (receiver, cable/sat DVR box, DVD player, etc.) in the closet?

Also, due to the configuration of the living room, I won't be able to wire for surround sound, so I was thinking about using a sound bar mounted under the TV; however, the reviews on most of them seem to mention interference with home Wifi networks (from the wireless connection to the subwoofer) . . . does anyone have any recommendations/experience with these?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I've had the best success with a remote called Commander. It's brilliant. You replace one of the batteries in the remote with a same size half battery and radio transmitter. It fits either AA or AAA batteries. The gizmo translates IR pulses into radio signals. The receiver stores a second "half battery" in a charger and uses a stick on IR repeater which self adheres to the IR input of your cable box etc. If you have a bunch of devices to control which are out of line of sight, then there are perhaps better solutions. The Commander works with any remote using AA or AAA batteries with no mods required.

I have a flat panel TV over the fireplace in the den wired to a cable box on the other side of the wall and this works for me. No info on sound bars however.
Regards,
Old 02-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Zapna
Advanced

Get a Harmony remote with RF. Its a great unified remote and you dont have to worry about pointing it at anything!
If you are married to your current IR remote, then get the Xantech IR Repeater system for whtever type of TV you have (LCD, plasma, etc). Available on eBay, just search Xantech.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:48 AM
msalvatore
Rennlist Member

I have used Niles repeater with no issues or problems.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:47 AM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zapna
Get a Harmony remote with RF. Its a great unified remote and you dont have to worry about pointing it at anything!
If you are married to your current IR remote, then get the Xantech IR Repeater system for whtever type of TV you have (LCD, plasma, etc). Available on eBay, just search Xantech.
+1 for Xantech. you can get them really cheap and they work very well.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:20 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the remote transmitter because you sont need to learn how to use a new remote.
There's some cool things on the market these days that makes this so much easier than a few years ago.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 69 Posts

Find a local dealer and buy and have them install and program a Universal Brand remote control w/rf - Mx-900 and mrf-260 are great. One remote solution for all of your products and none of the BS of having to aim it because of the RF kit.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:10 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I recently purchased a product that's called "Next Generation Remote Control Extender". I have yet to use it. The reviews were very good. Bob Rouleau's description of his remote seems to work under the same principal. If memory serves. I purchased it at around $40. on Amazon.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Zapna
This - the 1100 is the way to go.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:42 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V
This - the 1100 is the way to go.

+1 A very good remote.

Quick Reply: Infrared Repeaters and Soundbars?