Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Audio and Video Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-and-video-forum-216/)
-   -   Infrared Repeaters and Soundbars? (https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-and-video-forum/681416-infrared-repeaters-and-soundbars.html)

KS-CS 02-19-2012 01:33 PM

Infrared Repeaters and Soundbars?

I'm moving to a house where the TV in the family room is mounted above the fireplace mantle, and the AV equipment will be housed in a closet (pre-wired to TV with HDMI cable, I hope). Does anyone have a recommendation regarding an IR Repeater to operate the components (receiver, cable/sat DVR box, DVD player, etc.) in the closet?

Also, due to the configuration of the living room, I won't be able to wire for surround sound, so I was thinking about using a sound bar mounted under the TV; however, the reviews on most of them seem to mention interference with home Wifi networks (from the wireless connection to the subwoofer) . . . does anyone have any recommendations/experience with these?

Thanks in advance!

Bob Rouleau 02-19-2012 04:27 PM

I've had the best success with a remote called Commander. It's brilliant. You replace one of the batteries in the remote with a same size half battery and radio transmitter. It fits either AA or AAA batteries. The gizmo translates IR pulses into radio signals. The receiver stores a second "half battery" in a charger and uses a stick on IR repeater which self adheres to the IR input of your cable box etc. If you have a bunch of devices to control which are out of line of sight, then there are perhaps better solutions. The Commander works with any remote using AA or AAA batteries with no mods required.

I have a flat panel TV over the fireplace in the den wired to a cable box on the other side of the wall and this works for me. No info on sound bars however.
Regards,

Zapna 02-20-2012 02:32 PM

Get a Harmony remote with RF. Its a great unified remote and you dont have to worry about pointing it at anything!
If you are married to your current IR remote, then get the Xantech IR Repeater system for whtever type of TV you have (LCD, plasma, etc). Available on eBay, just search Xantech.

msalvatore 07-05-2012 07:48 AM

I have used Niles repeater with no issues or problems.

66mustang 07-05-2012 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Zapna (Post 9293402)
Get a Harmony remote with RF. Its a great unified remote and you dont have to worry about pointing it at anything!
If you are married to your current IR remote, then get the Xantech IR Repeater system for whtever type of TV you have (LCD, plasma, etc). Available on eBay, just search Xantech.

+1 for Xantech. you can get them really cheap and they work very well.

993MAN 07-21-2012 03:20 AM

I like the remote transmitter because you sont need to learn how to use a new remote.
There's some cool things on the market these days that makes this so much easier than a few years ago.

Pete C 07-26-2012 01:46 PM

Find a local dealer and buy and have them install and program a Universal Brand remote control w/rf - Mx-900 and mrf-260 are great. One remote solution for all of your products and none of the BS of having to aim it because of the RF kit.

jimbo1111 07-30-2012 06:10 PM

I recently purchased a product that's called "Next Generation Remote Control Extender". I have yet to use it. The reviews were very good. Bob Rouleau's description of his remote seems to work under the same principal. If memory serves. I purchased it at around $40. on Amazon.

Randy V 07-30-2012 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Zapna (Post 9293402)

This - the 1100 is the way to go.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...5961100-f.jpeg

mglobe 07-31-2012 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Randy V (Post 9727881)

+1 A very good remote.