Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Pioneer VSX-921, no sound through subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Pioneer VSX-921, no sound through subwoofer

Wife and I got a new Christmas gift for each other. Our old receiver (11 years old) finally fried itself. Got a Pioneer 921 receiver, pretty nice system for $250. Problem is, I cannot for the life of me get sound through my subwoofer. All my speakers are old, but work. The subwoofer is not the kind with a power cord, just the speaker wife. No ON/OFF switch of any kind. It worked with the old receiver just a couple days ago.

I went through the manual speaker setup, and heard the sound to tune the speakers through each of the speakers except the subwoofer (the white noise).

Any ideas from the experts. I am NOT an expert nor anything close to it when it comes to audio. Like I said, my speakers are all 10+ years old, but they still work.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Old 12-23-2011, 03:13 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Matt
You have what they call a passive subwoofer. 99% of subs these days have there own amplifiers inbuilt.
What you need to do is this.
Take the front speaker cables, left and right, and connect them from the Pioneer speaker terminals into the left and right speaker input on the subwoofer.
Usually you would go from the amp to the speakers.
Then you need to get some more cable and go from the subwoofer back to the front speakers.
Some subs have two sets of speaker terminals. Not sure what your sub is.
But if there is only one set of terminals on the sub, you need to double up the cables. Just twist them together.
So it's speaker cables from the Pioneer into the sub, and from the sub into the speakers.
This is the only way to set it up. let me know of you need anymore help.
Merry christmas
Graham
Old 12-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, awesome thanks so much. I'll give it a try. Maybe the wifey will bring me a newer sub for Christmas...
Old 12-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

That's a pretty ghetto way of wiring them in. Wouldn't you be sending high frequency sound through the sub? I'm guessing it doesn't have a crossover built in?

If so, I would recommend getting a cheapo sub amp online and then go Pioneer -> sub amp -> sub.. Parts express has them for $50 or so..
Old 01-01-2012, 02:32 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes maybe a bit ghetto, but his sub will still have a filter in it . I have yet to some across one that hasn't got one, but you never know.

Quick Reply: Pioneer VSX-921, no sound through subwoofer