Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Top 10 speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:57 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Mother
I think it would depend on what you are listening to most of the time? Movies or Music ? 2 channel or 7-1 channel etc?
I believe the intent of the thread is focusing on 2 channel stereo.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:31 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Riad
I've heard of these monitors while at AES but didn't get time to sit down with them. Yourself (Riad) and others that I've spoke with say the Barefoot's are worth an audition.

"Peggy, get the Barefoot Sound rep on the phone" - Joe Manix.

Man, audio playback is moving soooo fast in this past decade ... maybe its time to listen to something other than my tried and true ATC.gb actives. Hey its the room anyway...
Old 09-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Scott5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THIEL AUDIO . com

I was getting worked up seeing all these speaker brands, but no mention of THIEL audio, the late Jim Thiel's Lexington operation. Thanks Franklin!

THIEL is a speaker all serious audiophile's should listen to when considering a purchase.

Their better speakers are up over ten grand for a pair of towers, but that's good value in my opinion.

Consider how quickly everyone says Ohhh B&W! -- how much of that is the result of marketing dollars being put to great use by B&W? I think THIEL's money is more routinely put into highest quality materials and R&D.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:10 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

I guess most here are not into or have never heard thiel speakers. I would prefer if we not get into a which is the best speaker, or my speaker is better than yours type discussion, such discussion's in audio never lead to anything positive, kinda like asking who's the best cook......

Both Theil and B&W are formidable speaker companies, B&W is the largest speaker manufacturer in the world ( hi-end) they are not there because they sound bad or are poorly built, that aside , both are not my cup of tea, nothing to do with them being bad speakers, because I'm currently into ribbon/planer type speakers and haven't been listen to many box type speakers of late and will admit I'm not familiar with Thiel's recent givings ...

PS: I did hear the B&W 802d and 801 a year or so ago and they were good performers IMO.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Scott5
Instructor

A. Wayne : My suggestion was pretty clearly: "THIEL is a speaker all serious audiophile's should listen to when considering a purchase."

Did I misunderstand what he was looking for, brands to consider?

btw: I also own B&W, so I wasn't knocking them - they might be the OP's cup of tea. Nobody will know that but him.

And regarding best cook - my mom, buddy.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:51 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott5
A. Wayne : My suggestion was pretty clearly: "THIEL is a speaker all serious audiophile's should listen to when considering a purchase."

Did I misunderstand what he was looking for, brands to consider?

btw: I also own B&W, so I wasn't knocking them - they might be the OP's cup of tea. Nobody will know that but him.

And regarding best cook - my mom, buddy.

Ahhh i will challenge that .. of course after a taste ,,,,,,,,,
Old 09-19-2011, 10:47 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott5
I was getting worked up seeing all these speaker brands, but no mention of THIEL audio, the late Jim Thiel's Lexington operation. Thanks Franklin!

THIEL is a speaker all serious audiophile's should listen to when considering a purchase.

Their better speakers are up over ten grand for a pair of towers, but that's good value in my opinion.

Consider how quickly everyone says Ohhh B&W! -- how much of that is the result of marketing dollars being put to great use by B&W? I think THIEL's money is more routinely put into highest quality materials and R&D.
I have not heard any of the most recent Thiel products but agree they made some very nice speakers in the past and made a huge name in the high end market for quite some time. One of my buddies swears by them. The problem with the $10k price range is their are so many new and used speakers to choose from that it is hard to say what is the best bang for the buck.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:23 PM
mousecrab
Instructor

I use Infinity Primus. Good value for money spend.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:26 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

My submission is Joseph Audio. The 22's, 25's, 33's and the pearls are all great. I would also add the esoteric mg-20's, made by Tannoy. Recently I have been considering s set of Salk Speakers.. They use a ribbon tweeter, a design element I think that works. I would finally add the Proac d38's or the the new 39's?

The only Thiel speaker that I have heard and liked is their top of the line one. Its a little large and a real PITA to drive!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:21 PM
RShepHorse
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

NHT 3.3, quirky but awesome speakers... unfortunately the company imploded...
Old 10-13-2011, 02:18 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Currently a big fan of Dali, just bought a pair of Concept 2 bookshelves on clearance for living room TV/stereo duty and they're amazing. I have a set of Athena Technologies AS-F2s that were replaced by the Dalis (re: 5.2 big Athena home theater system with Velodynes went away with babyproofing) that I'm slowly going to use building up a proper stereo listening area in my home office. Turntable, tubes maybe, etc. These two sets are the only ones really worth mentioning besides a brief fling with Cambridge SoundsWorks' flagship towers several years ago (can't recall the model). Was a Polk guy before this. First set in high school was Advent...

Though this is more history and trying to pry my way into the audiophile scene.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:33 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
Currently a big fan of Dali, just bought a pair of Concept 2 bookshelves on clearance for living room TV/stereo duty and they're amazing. I have a set of Athena Technologies AS-F2s that were replaced by the Dalis (re: 5.2 big Athena home theater system with Velodynes went away with babyproofing) that I'm slowly going to use building up a proper stereo listening area in my home office. Turntable, tubes maybe, etc. These two sets are the only ones really worth mentioning besides a brief fling with Cambridge SoundsWorks' flagship towers several years ago (can't recall the model). Was a Polk guy before this. First set in high school was Advent...

Though this is more history and trying to pry my way into the audiophile scene.
You should consider looking into Dali's used on Audiogon. I have the complete Helicon system for my surround system for a fraction of the cost new.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 PM
audiophilitis
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi there-

Long time audiophile here but am looking to get out of the cult! Haven't listened to my system at all this year and is collecting dust. Currently have the following:

Wilson Watt/Puppy 7 (Almandine Black finish)
Lamm ML 1 monoblocks
Manley Steelhead phono stage (also used as line stage)
Wadia 861 CD
Clearaudio Max Solution TT with 2 arms/cartridges
Arm 1: Dynavector DV507 w/ Dynavector XV1S cartridge (<100hrs)
Arm 2: Graham 2.2 w/ ZYX Airy 2 cartridge (<500hrs)
SRA base for TT
Cardas Golden Reference interconnects
MIT Oracle V2 speaker cables
Shunyata Hydra power line conditioner
Shunyata Taipan power cords

If anyone is interested in the entire system, please make me an offer (you can research prices in Audiogon). This is a well thought out, synnergistic system that has been meticulously maintained and cared for. I have several other extras, i.e., VPI record cleaning machine, lead-shot filled Billy Bags double width equipment rack, ASC sound panels, extra phono and interconnect cables and power cords, etc.

Only considering sale of entire system. Pick up only please in central NJ. Please send me PM if interested. Thanks for looking.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:16 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

^^^ What about software , much in analog and cd's .......?
Old 10-23-2011, 12:11 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Large Advent
DQ-10
ML CLS
Quad 63
Decca Ribbon Tweeters
Tympani 1D
Sasha's