Top 10 speakers? - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.

Top 10 speakers?

 
Old 09-16-2011, 12:57 PM
  #31  
cobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
cobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 16,974
Default

Originally Posted by Mother View Post
I think it would depend on what you are listening to most of the time? Movies or Music ? 2 channel or 7-1 channel etc?
I believe the intent of the thread is focusing on 2 channel stereo.
cobalt is offline  
Old 09-16-2011, 01:31 PM
  #32  
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
M. Schneider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1997
Location: Georgia Mtn's / Colorado Mtn's
Posts: 2,267
Default

Originally Posted by Riad View Post
I've heard of these monitors while at AES but didn't get time to sit down with them. Yourself (Riad) and others that I've spoke with say the Barefoot's are worth an audition.

"Peggy, get the Barefoot Sound rep on the phone" - Joe Manix.

Man, audio playback is moving soooo fast in this past decade ... maybe its time to listen to something other than my tried and true ATC.gb actives. Hey its the room anyway...
M. Schneider is offline  
Old 09-16-2011, 04:20 PM
  #33  
Scott5
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 209
Default THIEL AUDIO . com

I was getting worked up seeing all these speaker brands, but no mention of THIEL audio, the late Jim Thiel's Lexington operation. Thanks Franklin!

THIEL is a speaker all serious audiophile's should listen to when considering a purchase.

Their better speakers are up over ten grand for a pair of towers, but that's good value in my opinion.

Consider how quickly everyone says Ohhh B&W! -- how much of that is the result of marketing dollars being put to great use by B&W? I think THIEL's money is more routinely put into highest quality materials and R&D.
Scott5 is offline  
Old 09-16-2011, 09:10 PM
  #34  
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member
 
A.Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: RPM Central
Posts: 20,448
Default

I guess most here are not into or have never heard thiel speakers. I would prefer if we not get into a which is the best speaker, or my speaker is better than yours type discussion, such discussion's in audio never lead to anything positive, kinda like asking who's the best cook......

Both Theil and B&W are formidable speaker companies, B&W is the largest speaker manufacturer in the world ( hi-end) they are not there because they sound bad or are poorly built, that aside , both are not my cup of tea, nothing to do with them being bad speakers, because I'm currently into ribbon/planer type speakers and haven't been listen to many box type speakers of late and will admit I'm not familiar with Thiel's recent givings ...

PS: I did hear the B&W 802d and 801 a year or so ago and they were good performers IMO.




.
A.Wayne is offline  
Old 09-16-2011, 09:57 PM
  #35  
Scott5
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 209
Default

A. Wayne : My suggestion was pretty clearly: "THIEL is a speaker all serious audiophile's should listen to when considering a purchase."

Did I misunderstand what he was looking for, brands to consider?


btw: I also own B&W, so I wasn't knocking them - they might be the OP's cup of tea. Nobody will know that but him.

And regarding best cook - my mom, buddy.
Scott5 is offline  
Old 09-17-2011, 01:51 AM
  #36  
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member
 
A.Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: RPM Central
Posts: 20,448
Default

Originally Posted by Scott5 View Post
A. Wayne : My suggestion was pretty clearly: "THIEL is a speaker all serious audiophile's should listen to when considering a purchase."

Did I misunderstand what he was looking for, brands to consider?


btw: I also own B&W, so I wasn't knocking them - they might be the OP's cup of tea. Nobody will know that but him.

And regarding best cook - my mom, buddy.

Ahhh i will challenge that .. of course after a taste ,,,,,,,,,
A.Wayne is offline  
Old 09-19-2011, 11:47 AM
  #37  
cobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
cobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 16,974
Default

Originally Posted by Scott5 View Post
I was getting worked up seeing all these speaker brands, but no mention of THIEL audio, the late Jim Thiel's Lexington operation. Thanks Franklin!

THIEL is a speaker all serious audiophile's should listen to when considering a purchase.

Their better speakers are up over ten grand for a pair of towers, but that's good value in my opinion.

Consider how quickly everyone says Ohhh B&W! -- how much of that is the result of marketing dollars being put to great use by B&W? I think THIEL's money is more routinely put into highest quality materials and R&D.
I have not heard any of the most recent Thiel products but agree they made some very nice speakers in the past and made a huge name in the high end market for quite some time. One of my buddies swears by them. The problem with the $10k price range is their are so many new and used speakers to choose from that it is hard to say what is the best bang for the buck.
cobalt is offline  
Old 09-21-2011, 01:23 PM
  #38  
mousecrab
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 153
Default

I use Infinity Primus. Good value for money spend.
mousecrab is offline  
Old 09-25-2011, 09:26 AM
  #39  
yetis
User
 
yetis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The City, NY
Posts: 1,413
Default

My submission is Joseph Audio. The 22's, 25's, 33's and the pearls are all great. I would also add the esoteric mg-20's, made by Tannoy. Recently I have been considering s set of Salk Speakers.. They use a ribbon tweeter, a design element I think that works. I would finally add the Proac d38's or the the new 39's?

The only Thiel speaker that I have heard and liked is their top of the line one. Its a little large and a real PITA to drive!
yetis is offline  
Old 09-27-2011, 06:21 PM
  #40  
RShepHorse
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
RShepHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New England West Coast
Posts: 86
Default

NHT 3.3, quirky but awesome speakers... unfortunately the company imploded...
RShepHorse is offline  
Old 10-13-2011, 03:18 AM
  #41  
Sentinelist
User
 
Sentinelist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 733
Default

Currently a big fan of Dali, just bought a pair of Concept 2 bookshelves on clearance for living room TV/stereo duty and they're amazing. I have a set of Athena Technologies AS-F2s that were replaced by the Dalis (re: 5.2 big Athena home theater system with Velodynes went away with babyproofing) that I'm slowly going to use building up a proper stereo listening area in my home office. Turntable, tubes maybe, etc. These two sets are the only ones really worth mentioning besides a brief fling with Cambridge SoundsWorks' flagship towers several years ago (can't recall the model). Was a Polk guy before this. First set in high school was Advent...

Though this is more history and trying to pry my way into the audiophile scene.
Sentinelist is offline  
Old 10-13-2011, 12:33 PM
  #42  
cobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
cobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 16,974
Default

Originally Posted by Sentinelist View Post
Currently a big fan of Dali, just bought a pair of Concept 2 bookshelves on clearance for living room TV/stereo duty and they're amazing. I have a set of Athena Technologies AS-F2s that were replaced by the Dalis (re: 5.2 big Athena home theater system with Velodynes went away with babyproofing) that I'm slowly going to use building up a proper stereo listening area in my home office. Turntable, tubes maybe, etc. These two sets are the only ones really worth mentioning besides a brief fling with Cambridge SoundsWorks' flagship towers several years ago (can't recall the model). Was a Polk guy before this. First set in high school was Advent...

Though this is more history and trying to pry my way into the audiophile scene.
You should consider looking into Dali's used on Audiogon. I have the complete Helicon system for my surround system for a fraction of the cost new.
cobalt is offline  
Old 10-20-2011, 10:34 PM
  #43  
audiophilitis
User
 
audiophilitis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 218
Default

Hi there-

Long time audiophile here but am looking to get out of the cult! Haven't listened to my system at all this year and is collecting dust. Currently have the following:

Wilson Watt/Puppy 7 (Almandine Black finish)
Lamm ML 1 monoblocks
Manley Steelhead phono stage (also used as line stage)
Wadia 861 CD
Clearaudio Max Solution TT with 2 arms/cartridges
Arm 1: Dynavector DV507 w/ Dynavector XV1S cartridge (<100hrs)
Arm 2: Graham 2.2 w/ ZYX Airy 2 cartridge (<500hrs)
SRA base for TT
Cardas Golden Reference interconnects
MIT Oracle V2 speaker cables
Shunyata Hydra power line conditioner
Shunyata Taipan power cords

If anyone is interested in the entire system, please make me an offer (you can research prices in Audiogon). This is a well thought out, synnergistic system that has been meticulously maintained and cared for. I have several other extras, i.e., VPI record cleaning machine, lead-shot filled Billy Bags double width equipment rack, ASC sound panels, extra phono and interconnect cables and power cords, etc.

Only considering sale of entire system. Pick up only please in central NJ. Please send me PM if interested. Thanks for looking.
audiophilitis is offline  
Old 10-22-2011, 03:16 PM
  #44  
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member
 
A.Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: RPM Central
Posts: 20,448
Default

^^^ What about software , much in analog and cd's .......?
A.Wayne is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 01:11 PM
  #45  
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 792
Default

Large Advent
DQ-10
ML CLS
Quad 63
Decca Ribbon Tweeters
Tympani 1D
Sasha's
Dynaudio Evidence Temptation
KINGSRULE is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top 10 speakers?


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: