Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Vinyl records

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:03 AM
smac951
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Vinyl records

My 82 year old aunt gave me her record collection. Been listening to some very old and cool artists. Amazing how good they sound compared to mp3 formated music. Anybody else into vinyl records?
Old 04-23-2011, 04:07 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

There are a few over here: https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-and-video-forum-216/

I'm working on either upgrading my player or buying a new / used one.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:17 AM
smac951
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! I didnt know that forum existed. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:08 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

I d tell you I feel about vinyl records but you wouldn't be able to fully appreciate my comment on this digitally compressed forum.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:58 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Someday I'll have to buy a turntable and take my vinyl out of storage. I have dozens and dozens of albums and hundreds of 45's accumulated in the 60's when I had a bunch of good DJ friends at the top AM rock station in L.A., handing me the top 40 at a time. Maybe I can do that when I finally retire in my 70's and can annoy the neighbors by playing them all at high volume!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:09 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I have a couple hundred records and still listen to them from time to time.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 436 Posts

If I listen to music for the sake of listening to music its vinyl. For "background" music it's CD's or recently off of the music server.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Nightfly
Reanimator
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Gradually got rid of my vinyl collection as I replaced them with CD's. Yeah, yeah, I know, lots of people say vinyl is better (me, I think they just like living in the past). But the first time I played CD's of some of my favorite songs, I heard parts of the music that I never heard before. And yes it was on the same stereo, but on a base line Sharp CD player instead of either a Sony linear turntable or even with the Technics turntable and an expensive Shure cartridge. No more static either. And yes, also, I always took great care of my records. So much for analog. Give me digital.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I confess: I used to be an audioholic. This meant that I would spend exorbitant amounts of money on tube amplifiers (tubes from Russia or China), cables made with exotic alloys, etc. The down side of being an audioholic was that I never even listened to a complete album. Just a minute or two then tweak the room, the speaker placement, etc . . .

During my stereo days, I was a vinyl fanatic. You can spend a huge amount on turntables, tone arms, and cartridges. To me, on a strictly sonic basis, vinyl was clearly the best. CDs a step down, and now mp3 a step down from that. So what do I listen to? mp3, then CD, and sold my Linn-Sondek belt drive turntable . . .

Now I just spend money on keeping my car running.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:48 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not an obsessed audiophile. I don't NEED to buy all of the insanely expensive components and cables....though I would like to.

The difference between vinyl and cd/mp3 is night and day though. I've only got a sony turntable (Not the cheapest model, but a few steps up from the bottom), and an old 4 channel tube amp that was my dads....and it blows any CD away. To me, Jazz is where its most noticeable. Its like they added 3 or 4 members to the band on the vinyl version of the same cd. Symbols, raking the snare, deeper, more pronounced bass notes (Without sounding like a teenagers car), etc, etc, etc. I cannot imagine what it sounds like on a $10k system....

Even Jimi Hendrix "Experience" is vastly different. The cd leaves the "soul" of the music out. Jimi on vinyl doesn't only sound brilliant, it FEELS brilliant.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A business in Banning is still making the aluminum plates used to press masters. The owner says that it is still a thriving business. . . though sales are flat.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
I'm not an obsessed audiophile. I don't NEED to buy all of the insanely expensive components and cables....though I would like to.

The difference between vinyl and cd/mp3 is night and day though. I've only got a sony turntable (Not the cheapest model, but a few steps up from the bottom), and an old 4 channel tube amp that was my dads....and it blows any CD away. To me, Jazz is where its most noticeable. Its like they added 3 or 4 members to the band on the vinyl version of the same cd. Symbols, raking the snare, deeper, more pronounced bass notes (Without sounding like a teenagers car), etc, etc, etc. I cannot imagine what it sounds like on a $10k system....

Even Jimi Hendrix "Experience" is vastly different. The cd leaves the "soul" of the music out. Jimi on vinyl doesn't only sound brilliant, it FEELS brilliant.

How can you put CDs and MP3s in the same category. MP3 is a stipped down version and it's not a secret that they had to sacrifice quality to make it so compact.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:23 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I friend of mine is a fairly serious DJ, one day he showed me the difference between CD's and then Vinyl on a decent turntable, I fell in love at that point, if its not MP3 for the ipods in the house I try and buy it in vinyl. I buy very few CD's now adays. I have also noticed a lot of new music is being released on vinyl again which is sweet.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:47 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
How can you put CDs and MP3s in the same category. MP3 is a stipped down version and it's not a secret that they had to sacrifice quality to make it so compact.
The comparison is between them and vinyl....

You can also get high bitrate mp3s, which are the same quality as a cd...and they are obviously larger in size.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

If the file size is smaller than a CD, how can it be the same quality? Compression techiques?

Quick Reply: Vinyl records