Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Vinyl records

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:17 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes... The "warmth" of vinyl is the best part. Mix that with a tube amp, some scotch, and a cigar.... Audiophile heaven!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:23 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by SidViscous
And noise, don't forget the noise.

I'ts amazing the people that miss the sound in the 3megahertz range on digital music, but can hear all the noise on a record.
If CD's were the highest form a digital audio available to the consumer I might agree with you.

Since they are not.........that leaves a few options open (like analog).

I've only seen a few bands offer a 100% lossess, uncompressed copy of their music.
DVD Audio was a good attempt. With most consumers content with highly compressed MP3's there isn't much room for a high end product on the shelves of Best Buy. At least not at the price they were asking.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:29 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
Yes... The "warmth" of vinyl is the best part. Mix that with a tube amp, some scotch, and a cigar.... Audiophile heaven!
I notice missing on the list is any actual music.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:31 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
If CD's were the highest form a digital audio available to the consumer I might agree with you.

Since they are not.........that leaves a few options open (like analog).

I've only seen a few bands offer a 100% lossess, uncompressed copy of their music.
DVD Audio was a good attempt. With most consumers content with highly compressed MP3's there isn't much room for a high end product on the shelves of Best Buy. At least not at the price they were asking.
In addition to that.... I would say that 99% of all music today is digital at some point in the process. I know the White Stripes record to a reel to reel machine, so its analog, but I would think that the vast majority of artists record to digital. So, even if they do release it in vinyl, its not 100% analog (or really, its NEVER truly analog)

Perhaps Riad could inform us better on this....
Old 04-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I love vinyl. I have about 2000 LPs as well as a high end system for my laptop to play HD downloads (CD/Redbook quality or higher). Mp3's aside, I have heard some great digital recordings, I have heard some crappy LP's. Both technologies are equally mature. Truth be told, it actually doesn't matter at this point if there is analog or digital gear used in production. The engineer is the one who is responsible for the quality of the product-they know the sound of crap just as well/often better as any hard core audiophile.

To build upon Hacker's Best Buy comment-in addition to it being hard to find good gear in mass-market, I fear it might become harder to find good quality recordings in the future as well since most playback is done via laptop speakers and ear-buds. The industry (in general), if it holds true to form will find little reason to keep the bar high.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:48 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

I notice missing on the list is any actual music.
Who needs music, when you have constant hiss, and more cracks and pops than a fireplace...
Old 04-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Who needs music, when you have constant hiss, and more cracks and pops than a fireplace...
All depends on the gear and how well you maintain your records. A clean well recorded LP can offer the same listening experience as a CD.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:05 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Franklin229
All depends on the gear and how well you maintain your records. A clean well recorded LP can offer the same listening experience as a CD.
I was joking....

I think this thread is trying to imply that the listening experience of vinyl is BETTER than a CD.. which it is.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

I was joking....

I think this thread is trying to imply that the listening experience of vinyl is BETTER than a CD.. which it is.
cool-didn't pick up on that-obviously. To add in some instances, simply the quality of an older original recording will sound better on vinyl just because of the way it was recorded. Remastered CD's are hit and miss these days and can sound like poo.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Moe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 167 Posts

Remastered CD's are hit and miss these days and can sound like poo.
Yeah, I have Eat a Peach on CD and it's the worst thing I've ever heard... Theres no guts or soul to it, and no adjustments on the Pre-Amp do it any good...
Old 04-25-2011, 05:02 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightfly
Gradually got rid of my vinyl collection as I replaced them with CD's. Yeah, yeah, I know, lots of people say vinyl is better (me, I think they just like living in the past). But the first time I played CD's of some of my favorite songs, I heard parts of the music that I never heard before. And yes it was on the same stereo, but on a base line Sharp CD player instead of either a Sony linear turntable or even with the Technics turntable and an expensive Shure cartridge. No more static either. And yes, also, I always took great care of my records. So much for analog. Give me digital.
Too bad i didn't know i would have taken your vinyl off your hands. better yet you should have explored a better table, cartridge or both. Vinyl is superior more often than not. But even vinyl has different quality recordings. A good setup will make all but the most abused lp's sound quiet like a CD. There are things i hear on vinyl that are so distinct that I have never experienced on even the best rated CD players costing $10k+.

That would be because you can add effects (noise) to CD audio to make it sound like vinyl, but you can't remove the inherent noise in Vinyl to make it sound like CD.
LOL

Lp's will give a warmth and depth that most CD players will not come close to reproducing. I have a $3k CD player that sounds like crap compared to my TT. The difference is quite apparent.

In addition to that.... I would say that 99% of all music today is digital at some point in the process. I know the White Stripes record to a reel to reel machine, so its analog, but I would think that the vast majority of artists record to digital. So, even if they do release it in vinyl, its not 100% analog (or really, its NEVER truly analog)

Perhaps Riad could inform us better on this....
I love vinyl. I have about 2000 LPs as well as a high end system for my laptop to play HD downloads (CD/Redbook quality or higher). Mp3's aside, I have heard some great digital recordings, I have heard some crappy LP's. Both technologies are equally mature. Truth be told, it actually doesn't matter at this point if there is analog or digital gear used in production. The engineer is the one who is responsible for the quality of the product-they know the sound of crap just as well/often better as any hard core audiophile.

To build upon Hacker's Best Buy comment-in addition to it being hard to find good gear in mass-market, I fear it might become harder to find good quality recordings in the future as well since most playback is done via laptop speakers and ear-buds. The industry (in general), if it holds true to form will find little reason to keep the bar high.
Well said. Although i have purchased quite a number of excellent repressing of earlier Lp's although it can be quite surprising how much difference there can be between recordings. A few friends were over a few weeks back and we listened to several versions of Dark Side of the Moon. The MFSL version was superior to most all of them with a completely different sound to the latest 180g release. The back to black version was definitely the noisiest and did not have the depth and sound of the MFSL.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:07 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Originally Posted by cobalt
Lp's will give a warmth and depth that most CD players will not come close to reproducing. I have a $3k CD player that sounds like crap compared to my TT. The difference is quite apparent.
If I need warmth I'll set my CD player on fire.

I'm looking for music without the inherent filters of record players. I prefer to listen to music, not to electronic noise.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:39 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

I'm looking for music without the inherent filters of record players. I prefer to listen to music, not to electronic noise.
You must be a real buzkill at concerts

I suppose you would like it if the studio edits out the guitar "squeak" often heard during live / acoustic performances too.
Never mind, you probably cannot hear that on the CD's
Old 04-25-2011, 06:00 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Worked with live bands.

There is a huge difference between the two.

The "Squeak" is edited out during recording.

Producer "You flubbed that one, do it again"
Old 04-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

The "Squeak" is edited out during recording.

Not always...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkjv9SscotY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgU-0__fpXY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-boKk8uhmcY

Quick Reply: Vinyl records