Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

What made you into an audio enthusiast/audiophile?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What made you into an audio enthusiast/audiophile?

What made you an enthusiast of sound?

I'll start.

My dad was a singer and played in a country band and I learned a decent amount of instruments at a young age. I played cello, upright bass, guitar, bass guitar, and a minute amount of piano. Later I learned drums and really took a liking to those but stayed with the bass guitar.

I believe this early exposure started my love for sound.

Since I was a bass player, I would always chase this sound from my gear that reminded me of a semi truck. Lots of power and crunch with huge presence.

Anyways, any piece of audio equipment I found that had an EQ, I was tweaking on it. Then I noticed moving speakers around (or amps for this matter), had an effect on the sound. And so on and so on.

Anytime I would hear a great stereo system, I would stop and enjoy the sounds.............to this day, it just makes me calm, even if it is heavy rock type stuff. If it sounds great, it just grabs me.....

There are countless other things that got me into this I simply can't remember.

This was all at a young age I would say, before my teens and is worse (if you will) to this day.

What's your story?
Old 02-28-2011, 02:18 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

I like music.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:51 PM
MDeBoard
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was fourteen I went by a friend's house and heard his Pioneer SX737 and I think it was a Dual turntable playing through a pair of Pioneer CSR 700 speakers. He played "Don't Fear the Reaper". I had never even heard of hi fi. I was completely and totally hooked. It sounded so much better than my parents Airline console or my GE Wildcat. I eventually bought his Pioneer speakers. Ever since then I've been searching for "more cowbell".
Old 02-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

My Dad got into stereo in the late '50s and early '60's and built much of his own equipment; Dyna Stereo 70, H.H. Scott tuner and preamp, Garrard turntable, (later an AR) Wharfdale speakers, Sony open reel deck. I watched him put the kits together and he was a big fan of recording music off the air so I probably got the bug from him. Plus I played an instrument (trombone) and have just always liked music.

BTW I still have the Scott equipment, the AR turntable and the Dyna. The preamp has been rebuilt, the AR refurbished and both are part of my own vintage system. The tuner and amp are no longer working but I might get around to bringing them back to life one day.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My father was the CEO of Eastman Sounds Corp D/B/A Martin Speaker Systems. He started it in the late 1950s and ran it until 1980 when his health forced him to get out of the business so he sold out to his Euro partners. The company continues today but mostly professional lights and fog machines. Go in any high end club and you will most likely see Martin lights. The same company sold their speakers under the name Mach since my father retained the rights to the speaker's names. When I was a small child I got a chance to meet people such as David Gilmore and Roger Waters from Pink Floyd and Joe Cocker. He supplied speakers to The Who, Steeley Dan, Hall & Oats, Supertramp, ect.

My home systems still use Martin speaker. I have a home theatre that uses new Martins and my vintage stereo has three pair of Martins, one pair from the 60s, 70s, and the 80s all on a Adcom speaker selector so I can switch between them. My oldest brother took over the speaker production and does them on an order-only basis. He does supply tech support and repairs on original Martins as well.

Growing up I really had no choice but it didn't bother me! LOL.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool stories!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:30 PM
ArthurPE
Race Car

I love music and electronics/technology/tweaking, I'm an engineer
it was destiny
Old 03-01-2011, 10:40 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,329 Posts
Default It's a long story.

When I was 3 I started building revell models. First were simple cars no paint or anything and a lot of glue on my fingers and parts. By the time i was 10 I had built just about every model I could get my hands on. I really enjoyed the models of engines with moving parts. I progressed to the Pocher car models by the age of 13 building RR's, Alfas, fiats and more. At age 14 I helped a friend of my father build the first one hour photo processing machine. He invented it and built it in his garage. He later designed the machines Philip Morris used to make all their cigarettes. I spent most of the time crimping wires and attaching modules but I enjoyed this more than building models. He taught me that there was more to just attaching a wire and what can make a huge difference in how it is made and wires routed.

When I hit high school I went to a friends house and he had the first true stereo I had heard. He had a dynaco pre and amp he had built and I helped him build his own speakers. I started building my own dynakits and really enjoyed building them. As time went on I got more involved with the sound and music. By senior year I had morphed into an audiophile and built fewer kits and purchased my equipment second hand where I could find it, searching for the best sound. Went through all sorts of brands from Kenwood to Yamaha, SAE, to McIntosh, accuphase and much much more.

In college I started building equipment again took some electrical design classes. When i graduated College my father had promised to loan me the money to invest in what is now one of the premier Audio video stores in the country. They were taking on partners but my father screwed me since I was needed to help in the family business. So I switched my interest to Porsche's and Home theater leaving music somewhat behind. Although always keeping in touch with my friends at the store and having the opportunity to experience just about every great piece of equipment made over the past 28 years.

About 3 years ago a friend started discussing vinyl and I made the mistake of buying a turntable again. So ever since I have been obsessed with achieving the perfect sound and I feel I have come quite close. I had forgotten how important music is and I appreciate loosing myself to just listening and appreciating the sound allowing the daily grind to melt away.

Last edited by cobalt; 03-01-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:33 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
My father was the CEO of Eastman Sounds Corp D/B/A Martin Speaker Systems. He started it in the late 1950s and ran it until 1980 when his health forced him to get out of the business so he sold out to his Euro partners. The company continues today but mostly professional lights and fog machines. Go in any high end club and you will most likely see Martin lights. The same company sold their speakers under the name Mach since my father retained the rights to the speaker's names. When I was a small child I got a chance to meet people such as David Gilmore and Roger Waters from Pink Floyd and Joe Cocker. He supplied speakers to The Who, Steeley Dan, Hall & Oats, Supertramp, ect.

My home systems still use Martin speaker. I have a home theatre that uses new Martins and my vintage stereo has three pair of Martins, one pair from the 60s, 70s, and the 80s all on a Adcom speaker selector so I can switch between them. My oldest brother took over the speaker production and does them on an order-only basis. He does supply tech support and repairs on original Martins as well.

Growing up I really had no choice but it didn't bother me! LOL.
I remember martin speakers from the 70's , glad to hear they are still around..

Originally Posted by ArthurPE
I love music and electronics/technology/tweaking, I'm an engineer it was destiny
dats it ..............................
Old 03-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
I remember martin speakers from the 70's , glad to hear they are still around..
Ah yes, the 70s were the hay days! I actually found a pair of unopened Audio 3s on ebay up in Philly. Phenolic ring tweeter with two 10s. Very classic indeed!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-Vintage-NOS...ht_6095wt_1139
Old 03-01-2011, 10:12 PM
foreplay
Intermediate

music relaxes me, wont go with out it
Old 04-05-2011, 03:27 PM
sgnl05
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I went about things backwards. Stocked up on tons of music and then started trying to improve the system.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:13 PM
bigmac
Drifting

My ears
Old 04-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

I needed another hobby to throw huge amounts of money I don't have at!

I've always like music, not just 'liking it,' but actually listening to the individual instruments, imaging, soundstage, etc. At 18, I purchased my first "true" stereo, including turntable. I left it at home after I joined the military. While in the military, I got married and moved my wife out with me. Since I was now getting an apartment and not living in the barracks, I brought back 3 suitcases, one with clothes, 2 with my stereo except speakers, too big. I just purchased some new ones after getting the apartment. Until I did, I used headphones.

It's been a steady progession of obtaining better gear since.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:03 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Well I would say I am a car audio audiophile.
I started in the industry back in 1981 when I was 16. I have been installing car audio systems ever since.

I opened up my own shop in 1986 and have been going strong since. I have worked on just about every car made in the last 30 yrs. I have trained with some of the best installer in the industry.
My shop did 10 episodes on a national TV show that was aired on the Discovery Channel.
I have heard almost every kind of car speaker. If anyone want to know what works in whatever car I have probably worked on one. I have done installs from $50 to $50,000.

I have passed all certification coarses ( MECP) etc, and was picked to go to a special one week coarse( Top gun training) out in Rockford Fosgates facility in Arizona. Only 10 guys a year were picked to take this coarse and I was taught by one on the best installers , designers in the industry ( Mark Fukuta). I am going back awhile this was the 90's. I have talked at semiars for ( remote starts and security), that is one of my shops specialtizes. I can go on and on but you get the idea.

Quick Reply: What made you into an audio enthusiast/audiophile?