Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

intro

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:47 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default intro

My fellow budd Rennlister, Whalebird, had suffested I peruse this section and offer hellos! So,..Hello!

Look forward to dropping in......an electronics/audio/recording engineer who's been in the business on and off all of his life (studio and FOH)....very much into electronics (to include design/boutique),..a musician,....

,..and definately a glass guy.

Best to all!

Doyle
Old 01-08-2011, 01:37 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HEY my friend. The camp in this forum is a knowledgable bunch. Audio and, you know...that "resonance", is a passion of mine limited only by practicality. Equipment can't be a priority for me right now, but one day.
This is a sleepy forum of sorts, but I enjoy and learn with each post. I come here, and the "watch" forum long before ever going near the cesspool OT. You can't turn your back to anybody over there.
Given your knowledge Doyle, and others here. may I pose a question:
I have an Adcom GFA-545II amp(solid state) and yes, considered "consumer quality" by many. However, some people with this equipment are "hot rodding" their amps with select upgrade components in order to achieve certain results. Any idea what, or how, to begin such a task?
I have the manuals with all the specs, and could simply remove the case (I do this periodically to blow dust out), but I want to get more from it if it's doable. There is a particular album coming that will require volume...
I hope all is well Shepp. Your health and happiness is in my heart.
Me, well the Bambino will be here w/in a week and life will certainly change; "this is a fine time...to hesitate"
Old 01-11-2011, 03:42 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Ah,..the old Adcom GFAs! Used to be compared to Krells in their day.

"hotrodding" would be somewhat of a vague term for this pup,..but I do recall fiddling with these moons ago.....they tend to lend a bit of grain to the top side, outa' the box. 545's power supply is better than it's forebearer... for starters (and from long ago recall) , I'd rework the power supply a bit,..at minimum: (replace) upgrade the PS caps on these (wide range to select from, BTW,..YES, I do mean the electrolytics,..and look at film bypass on these, too)) and look at some soft recovery bridge topologies..................I'd rid that damned steel buss bar in there and replace with copper (or better: brass). You'll get some sonic improvements with just that part,.....but THAT'S another discussion.

I'm sure there are several guys out there who work with these (and other) specific upgrades on these pups...need to find out who's doing what these days in the SS world.

Me,..I'm a glass guy...yet not averse to Crown, Crest and others' topos.

I'd NOT sell.

Thinking about giving you a call (just for the hey of it,..to do the "bambino check".....).

Hope everything's going as planned.

Best to you and yours',

Doyle

Last edited by dshepp806; 01-11-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:18 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I've some pretty good contacts with Crown engineers who are completely bad-**** and love to talk "turkey" (most of which I have to keep to myself!)...

What pres are you running at home (if, at all?)

Doyle
Old 01-11-2011, 10:14 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used them all at one time or another...........
Old 01-12-2011, 03:33 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks a million for the responce Shepp. The pre-amp is Adcom GTP-500. Your blowing my mind with the technical jargon. I would love to dig into the home audio (perhaps I should get my Porsche on the road first)projects, but it keeps getting slotted down the line.

As for glass, I almost bought an integrated tube amp a few years back(Don't remember manufacture), but felt I needed to sleep on it. I auditioned the amp on my speakers and was really impressed. It would easily be the way to go when the time comes to upgrade. I really like the warm, organic sound. Problem was, I hesitated.
I preclude my next statement by saying, I do not play, but I really want a bass guitar. I would have to get a massive amp that would rattle my neighbors dishes. Something about that idea that gives me a power trip. I suppose a tube amp would be the way to go.
Anyhow, I'm chattering. Doyle thanks for the call yesterday. I will call you a bit later this evening.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:13 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Will be home sometime after 7 PM this evening...I'd love to hear from you,..

Best,

Doyle
Old 01-12-2011, 04:26 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't waste the time to modify the Adcom's unless you wanted the "experience" of doing such.

I did have a lot of Crown stuff , mostly for nostalgic reason as i had wanted to put together a vintage system. They do not in anyway compare to what's available today , well apart from looking the part ...

Currently into power wasting ribbons , glass won't suffice .......
Old 01-12-2011, 07:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Hey Doyle, welcome to the forum! I'm a drummer and work in the music industry currently as a manufacture sales rep for a few percussion company's, one being Zildjian.

I travel into middle GA sometimes...maybe we will meet up someday.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:56 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I'd love to hook up if your through this way.....I'm in and out of town a bit. Here's a pic for you:
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: intro