Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

You guys might think I'm crazy but....

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default You guys might think I'm crazy but....

Hands down the best sounding iPod player (I know you guys gag at digital media but don't run off yet!!!) is Monster Cables' Beat Box.

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5772

I heard one at Best Buy just passing by while it was playing vocal jazz and I was blown away!

The description says "audiophile grade" components and I was pretty impressed with the dual 5 1/4" woofers; they looked like nice quality materials.

I was sampling some Mirage towers (the planar magnetic ones about 4 1/2' high) earlier and B&W bookshelf speakers (I know, Best Buy grade stuff) that could not come close to the sound this little player put out.

I'm dead serious.

As I cranked on it, I was waiting for the distortion or reduction in bass reproduction but it would not stop! Then I read it does not have circuitry using algorithms to reduce bass as volume goes up but does have a nice electronic safeguard that will slowly lower the volume if for extended amounts of time the player is being abused.

A girl working there said at night when they are stocking the shelves, they crank this thing up and it fills the store up fairly decently with sound.

Little pricey at $399 but definitely better than Bose Sound Dock. Haven't heard the B&W Zeppelin but it doesn't matter, this thing nailed the sound and tone that I seek perfectly.....
Old 12-07-2010, 10:23 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

I'll never, ever, ever buy anything from Monster Cable. The owner is one of the most litigous SOBs on earth. Google "Monster Cable litigation".
Old 12-07-2010, 10:26 AM
beentherebaby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My music comes from the engine compartment!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:59 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I am sure there are better sounding iPod players out there, like this one for example...

http://www.fat-man.co.uk/docs/produc...alveDock.shtml
Old 12-07-2010, 01:21 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy

Little pricey at $399 but definitely better than Bose Sound Dock. Haven't heard the B&W Zeppelin but it doesn't matter, this thing nailed the sound and tone that I seek perfectly.....
Nuff said ....
Old 12-10-2010, 12:38 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by George from MD
I'll never, ever, ever buy anything from Monster Cable. The owner is one of the most litigous SOBs on earth. Google "Monster Cable litigation".
Will do

Originally Posted by DrJay
I am sure there are better sounding iPod players out there, like this one for example...

http://www.fat-man.co.uk/docs/produc...alveDock.shtml
Meh....I love tube but I'm telling ya, that thing sounded great!

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Nuff said ....
Old 12-10-2010, 12:52 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
Hands down the best sounding iPod player (I know you guys gag at digital media but don't run off yet!!!) is Monster Cables' Beat Box.

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5772

I heard one at Best Buy just passing by while it was playing vocal jazz and I was blown away!

The description says "audiophile grade" components and I was pretty impressed with the dual 5 1/4" woofers; they looked like nice quality materials.

I was sampling some Mirage towers (the planar magnetic ones about 4 1/2' high) earlier and B&W bookshelf speakers (I know, Best Buy grade stuff) that could not come close to the sound this little player put out.

I'm dead serious.

As I cranked on it, I was waiting for the distortion or reduction in bass reproduction but it would not stop! Then I read it does not have circuitry using algorithms to reduce bass as volume goes up but does have a nice electronic safeguard that will slowly lower the volume if for extended amounts of time the player is being abused.

A girl working there said at night when they are stocking the shelves, they crank this thing up and it fills the store up fairly decently with sound.

You're not crazy...I know exactly how this iPod doc sounds. I was skeptical too...Monster Cable, BLAH...Dr. Dre...hummm maybe a marketing deal....not sure if Dre had input on this product but it sounds really good for what it is.

Trending Topics

Old 12-13-2010, 01:53 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by mdrums
You're not crazy...I know exactly how this iPod doc sounds. I was skeptical too...Monster Cable, BLAH...Dr. Dre...hummm maybe a marketing deal....not sure if Dre had input on this product but it sounds really good for what it is.
Phew, I thought I might be crazy since no one responded about it.....

The way the jazz was projecting out of the speakers still is quite memorable for what it is.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:28 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted here some time back, and haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I think I'll be going this direction when I do my iPod setup:

http://www.aktimate.com/

Or possibly:

http://audioengineusa.com/
Old 12-18-2010, 12:21 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 415 Posts

Save yourselves an awful lot of aggravation and money. Get a previous generation AppleTV and run iTunes through your system. While I wouldn't characterize it as "audiophile" (by any stretch of the imagination) for background music it's tough to beat.

Quick Reply: You guys might think I'm crazy but....