Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

New Home Pre-Wire and Wholehouse Audio

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Default New Home Pre-Wire and Wholehouse Audio

OK Guys,

We are finally completing the drawings for our new home. I'm looking at having a basic whole-house audio setup in addition to my dedicated room (sure enough, I need to get a security system, telecomm, network, video distribution, cctv, etc.).

Any ideas on systems which are not going to break the bank (read Crestron and similar). For the whole house I will need the possibility of running up to 4 different sources concurrently.

My initial thoughts as to a reasonable (and not requiring dealer only programming) are to have in walls wired to a common system room and run Sonos units for each zone.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated
Old 09-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

It all depends on what you like as far as sound quality. The Sonus should work for back ground, party, working out music. I would still recommend a dedicated system for critical listening, if you are into that.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will have a dedicated listening room and I'm looking for back ground music for the family (and for working on the cars/workshop).
Old 09-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Missed that in your OP, sorry. Sonus would be good if you will be running digital source. Stereocraft makes some nice multi zone amps also. I'm sure there are others. I'm not into multi zone, I pretty much have seperate systems in every room. Very ineficient I know, but, I have to do something with all my old gear!

As for speakers, almost everyone makes in wall stuff now. Just pick a budget and search from there.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:27 AM
Dean_Fuller
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude....I have now idea what you just said but I'm impressed anyway. I must be stuck in the past with my 1960's tube audio.

Ignorance can be bliss I guess.

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
OK Guys,

We are finally completing the drawings for our new home. I'm looking at having a basic whole-house audio setup in addition to my dedicated room (sure enough, I need to get a security system, telecomm, network, video distribution, cctv, etc.).

Any ideas on systems which are not going to break the bank (read Crestron and similar). For the whole house I will need the possibility of running up to 4 different sources concurrently.

My initial thoughts as to a reasonable (and not requiring dealer only programming) are to have in walls wired to a common system room and run Sonos units for each zone.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated
Old 09-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dean !

I'm keeping the tube stuff for the listening room but with a boy and a girl + wife and I the tastes in music vary. For the kids + wife most of the stuff is in digital format so a server type would work. I have ripped all of my cd's for use in less critical areas (like when I'm under the cars or the bikes) so I want to be able to distribute that. Now, for serious listening there will always be a dedicated room.

This will be my 3rd house and all of them have had a dedicated room !

Quick Reply: New Home Pre-Wire and Wholehouse Audio