Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

MPEG

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:31 AM
ustbautocar
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPEG

Anyone who could suggest a good DVD ripper? And do they work with mac? I’ve used other brands, and they usually can’t rip to a lot of formats. I’d especially be happy if there’s a ripper to rip dvd to avi, mped or divx. Thanks guys =) sorry because I’m just a beginner.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:57 PM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://handbrake.fr/.

Thats what I use and it's free. Works very well on a mac, good data on it's forums if you have a problem, brakes most encryption if you install VLC with it and will pass 5.1 Dolby.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I've also used Handbrake and it works fine for many applications. However, there were some encryption schemes that it would not pass and I had trouble installing VLC with it on my Windows 7 system, admittedly maybe, due to operator issues. I got tired of hasseling with it and bought WinX DVD Platinum. It cost me $29.95 for the download; upgrades are free and there is no recurring subscription cost. It has worked well with every source I've tried, including those that wouldn't pass Handbrake. There is also a Mac specific version, I believe. No affiliation, just glad that I found something that worked!

http://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper-platinum/
Old 09-21-2010, 11:33 AM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you install handbrake on a windows machine, vlc will not break the encryption. You will need a third party solution like anydvd. VLC will break it on a mac though.

Quick Reply: MPEG