Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Are you using a music server?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:43 AM
Nokona
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I download live concerts in lossless (FLAC) format using utorrent. I store the files (concerts) on hard drives contained within a 4 terrabyte NAS as well as separate 1 TB drives that I slap into a docking unit. I use either FOOBAR or WINAMP, on my computer, to play the flac files directly through a Peachtree Nova DAC with Focal JM Lab speakers and subwoofer. This is all set up in my home office, on my desktop. The Peachtree Nova is also tied into my home theater in the other room, so I can play lossless through the home theater system. I also have a SONOS networked to serve music (lossless files and satellite radio) to speakers in the garage and outside. So, my desktop computer is my server. I'm not a computer geek. It's been pretty easy for me to set this up, and its much, much less than Sooloos. I'm very pleased with my setup. Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 AM
joedud
2nd Gear

I have a Sonos house-wide five zone system. I use iTunes lossless for the music library and it's really easy to set up and operate. The Sonos support people are second to none. My main system is old-school Levinson amps, Lexicon electronics and Legacy speakers for mostly SACD.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

I just set up a VortexBox - am ripping my CDs to FLAC now. Will playback through a Squeezebox Touch at first, then upgrade from there. Resonable, low cost solution.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:33 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by joedud
I have a Sonos house-wide five zone system. I use iTunes lossless for the music library and it's really easy to set up and operate. The Sonos support people are second to none. My main system is old-school Levinson amps, Lexicon electronics and Legacy speakers for mostly SACD.
++++++Sonos

If you already have your CDs ripped somewhere then you are done. Unpack Sonos from the box. Switch on. Play. It's really that easy.

Add a napster account and you have access to almost any album ever made.

Can't recommend Sonos highly enough.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 474 Posts

I use the logitech squeezebox which streams music from my PC (wirelessly) as well as giving me live music archive and pandora. Remote is RF and had exceptional range also has album art on screen as well as volume control.

I can sit out on my back deck and have complete control of my music, stop, skip, pause, play, select and volume right in my hand.

For the life of me I can't understand why my Logitech Harmony 900 remote doesn't have the same RF range as the squeezebox.

I just built my own home last year and ran 3700 feet of Cat 6, cable, HDMI and speaker wire. I looked hard at the multi amp setups with wall controls etc. but the squeezebox is much more conveinant (don't have to get up and go to the wall) for far less money. I pad less than $300 for the unit (ebay) bought an Apple router and have been using for 1 year with zero issues.
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2011, 12:15 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I use a random dell PC (for its tiny form factor) connected to my Denon receiver via digital over coax. Its runs XBMC over winbloze. It has a USB IR reciever and my Harmony remote has programmed shortcuts for various playlists. The music and video content "lives" on portable drives but I am planing on getting a NAS device for raid and backup (which I know nothing about at this point). This same pc also streams video/music to my son's Wii or PC in his room...

This took some time to set up properly but I enjoyed the tinker...
Old 05-03-2011, 07:30 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi guys, Im new to audiophiling?(is that even a true syndrome)......

Ok Im just fed up with my ipod/itunes/limited sound avaliablitiy. Here are some things I want to know

1. I have my fathers records from 60s up to 80s......can these be converted digitally provided there is memory space

2. Could I spin up a virtual machine some how that leaves it isolated in case of viral attack or failure and easy to spin up a new one but then allows me to make 10 times the memory because its virtual.

3. If this is possible then I could begin to store my virtual machines(vms) on portable harddrive keys, for the car and taking on the road for vacation etc.

4. I am looking at Foobar to begin my quest but what about the 400 old cds I spent time uploading to my itunes by hand on my laptop...........is the quality crap or can I adjust it to lossless size?

What steps do you recommend to get the music server side right........save what I have already in a usable format......and then start adding to the library but make it web accessible or transportable on a large USB stick?

Then we can talk about tube amp/speaker/receiver recommendations.

I like nakonos and Aeshultz ideas.......

I think this could all be done for 1k to get entry level music server setup and decent music going to low level speakers and receiver?

I have a 9 piece infiniti set up......from best buy but ok...
I have an old Sony receiver.......

What do I need to consider to get digitalized music going........
Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

wow! sonos looks neat too but anything thats portable can be stolen!
Old 05-10-2011, 02:14 PM
psuboy
Advanced

Any one out there running Linux? I have a home file and digital music server set up on Ubuntu server and I run a program called Tangerine that lets me share the music. With the Apple itunes.
Computer cost used was about $100. All the other software including the OS is under the GNU license so it is free.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:56 PM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

I have a home server that feeds media to several computers and an HTPC in the entertainment room. Pretty easy set up but you need a hard wired system if you want HD video.

I am going to look into this Sonos house-wide five zone system as I have been wanting something along these lines for awhile.

BTW - I also use subsonic app on my droid that allows me access to my music stored on my home server. This gives me an 8 terrabyte IPOD. Playlists or random or whatever. Can't say enough about subsonic.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:51 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Cord: Check out the SqueezeBox stuff- read up and go from there.
PSU Boy: (Yeah, I'm origianally for PA also), the VortexBox is a Linux app - all in one package. Check it out at Vortexbox.org .
Old 06-26-2011, 12:36 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by laurinap
ive been experimenting with a server type set up. just got a benchmark dac-1 and run lossless files from my work laptop (before buying a dedicated laptop) to the dac to my conrad johnson tube audio equipment and watt puppy 7's ... sounded great, and was going to get a dedicated mac laptop to serve up music in the living room, but in the end, not going this route, several issues: (1) a bunch of ugly crap to put on top of my stereo such as the mac laptop with a cable and external drive plus (2) if you want to output more than than 96 khz out of a mac plus you need to use a card/plug in board via an adapter (mac MIDI in control panel only can be set to output 96k max, not 192) to get full hi rez files output. i am thinking of going instead with a ps audio dac/transport, as with an add on card it can wirelessly network to my mac pro in the bedroom, though wireless connections have their own problems. i guess unless you want to pony up $8500 for a sooloos, nothing out there is an ideal situation. sooloos is about the best option in my mind. might end up having to go that route.
the fact that you are only getting 96k out of your mac is not the fault of the mac, I am listening to a 24/192 track as I type this, and it is coming out of my iMac, the limit is caused by the DAC you are using...
Old 06-26-2011, 01:29 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

24/192 music is limited , pass up titles .....
Old 06-26-2011, 03:33 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

It depends on what kind of music you like...
Old 07-06-2011, 10:34 PM
fodowsky
Intermediate

I use the logitech transporter. Ripped all my CDs to flac files and am very happy with the results. All stored on a Drobo with another backup just in case. I also dl 24/96 files and the transporter handles them perfectly.

Playing thru Sonic Frontier pre and amps into Wilson Audio speakers. Yummy.

Quick Reply: Are you using a music server?