Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Are you using a music server?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:18 PM
sturm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you using a music server?

And if so, what type of configuration and user interface??

I currently have a McIntosh MS300 but its not networked and I'm just not pleased with its sound.

Looking to go a different direction. Maybe PC/Mac based or Sonos or PS Audio or....

High quality audio to different rooms controlled by my iPad (or another Tablet). Leaning towards an iTunes interface since they seem to continually offer refinements and I like the graphical nature but I haven't used/seen any other interface.

'93rsa 3.8
Old 09-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Dean_Fuller
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude...I'm still spinning Vinyl! And loving it.

Although I do understand the convenience part of it.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:19 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean_Fuller
Dude...I'm still spinning Vinyl! And loving it.

Although I do understand the convenience part of it.
I agree. Music servers are nice but a lot of effort to set up. Easy enough to just pull some vinyl when I want.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:38 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 415 Posts

I have a McIntosh server too. Sound is better than my AppleTV but not nearly as easy to use. Considering it is only for background music frankly it collects dust as I use the AppleTV and control it with my iPhone. If I want to listen to music I go to my "fortress of solitude" and listen to vinyl.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:03 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Define "Music Server"

If it includes my iMac, with all my cd's ripped losslessly into iTunes, played back through an external DA converter to my Cary integrated, then yes. It wasn't very complicated either.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

My LG BD player has a 250 GB built in hard drive. The player can rip CD's to the drive at several encoding levels from 128 kbps to lossless. It's also able to open music files on my computer via my home network. Finally it can access Pandora, Netflix, You Tube and other net video sources. I don't know if that qualifies as a server but it's pretty versatile.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Mike, what is the model # of that unit?
Old 09-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Mike, what is the model # of that unit?
Juan, it's the LG BD590. I've been very peased with picture quality, load times, and ease of use of the unit. It was a snap to set up and connect to my home network. I'm using a wired connection, but it has wi-fi capability built in. Here's a link to the LG site with some further info.

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...ayer-BD590.jsp
Old 09-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

I am very tempted by the "idea" of the music server, but I am not sure the technology/packaging/usability/mainstream is quite there yet if you want something out of the box and don't want to 'fiddle'.

What's frustrating is that the underlying technology is readily available and inexpensive, but the packaging (think iPod easy) is either still being developed or is expensive. I am referring to having a user friendly server, that sounds great and that's indpendent of your home PC...

The Olive O4HD is a nice product, if expensive. No idea how it sounds.

www.olive.us
Old 09-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks Mike !!!!
Old 10-16-2010, 09:55 AM
laurinap
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

ive been experimenting with a server type set up. just got a benchmark dac-1 and run lossless files from my work laptop (before buying a dedicated laptop) to the dac to my conrad johnson tube audio equipment and watt puppy 7's ... sounded great, and was going to get a dedicated mac laptop to serve up music in the living room, but in the end, not going this route, several issues: (1) a bunch of ugly crap to put on top of my stereo such as the mac laptop with a cable and external drive plus (2) if you want to output more than than 96 khz out of a mac plus you need to use a card/plug in board via an adapter (mac MIDI in control panel only can be set to output 96k max, not 192) to get full hi rez files output. i am thinking of going instead with a ps audio dac/transport, as with an add on card it can wirelessly network to my mac pro in the bedroom, though wireless connections have their own problems. i guess unless you want to pony up $8500 for a sooloos, nothing out there is an ideal situation. sooloos is about the best option in my mind. might end up having to go that route.

Last edited by laurinap; 10-16-2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-16-2010, 12:54 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

i use request in my home and my clients homes as well with great success
Old 10-18-2010, 04:51 PM
sturm
Racer

What's frustrating is that the underlying technology is readily available and inexpensive, but the packaging (think iPod easy) is either still being developed or is expensive. I am referring to having a user friendly server, that sounds great and that's indpendent of your home PC..
i guess unless you want to pony up $8500 for a sooloos, nothing out there is an ideal situation. sooloos is about the best option in my mind. might end up having to go that route.
I also feel this way and I don't want to jump into gear that will become obsolete or unsupported in the near future...That being said I do like that PS audio unit. The Sooloos would be a no brainer for me if it were 1/2 the price!
Old 10-19-2010, 04:52 PM
sturm
Racer

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...-J-River-MC-15

This is cool but I don't have time to F### with stuff. I mean I have to have time to read Rennlist! Probably a lot more like this out there. Possibly one that would work off my iPad so I could have it wherever I may be in the house??
Old 01-17-2011, 11:12 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Have an Apple TV connected to my receiver via HDMI and I stream lossless AIFF files & ripped DVDs from my iMac to it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are you using a music server?