Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Let's play Critic - whatcha make of B&W speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Green Goblin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend had some N804's and i got to be honest I tried to be impressed but i just couldnt do it. Just my .02.
Im not a fan
Andy
Old 01-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I love my B&W 803D's! There build quality is absolutely stunning, its hard to find things made well these days with such detail. I have had lots of B&W's over the years; 600 series (just about all of them), CDM7NT, CM9, Nautilus 803, 04, 05, and have loved pretty much all of them (except for N804s). My favorite speakers for bang for the buck is the 602 and 685. If you can afford more the CM9 is pretty much 85% of a 804S for a lot less. I think the new diamond line has gotten way out of hand pricing wise... 5k for 805's when they use to be 2k new..! But there is always something in there line up for every budget. Even the new 600 series even though its made in China still has great build quality. Just taking out one of the drivers will prove this..

Below is a youtube video of my system consisting of 803D's and Emotiva mono blocks. I had CM9's before and there is a video of them as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7no04oFhAlE
Old 01-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Green Goblin
My friend had some N804's and i got to be honest I tried to be impressed but i just couldnt do it. Just my .02.
Im not a fan
Andy
N804's were terrible. Very bright sounding and had no bass. If you listen to the 804S or new 804D you will be blown away.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:13 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
I love my B&W 803D's! There build quality is absolutely stunning, its hard to find things made well these days with such detail. I have had lots of B&W's over the years; 600 series (just about all of them), CDM7NT, CM9, Nautilus 803, 04, 05, and have loved pretty much all of them (except for N804s). My favorite speakers for bang for the buck is the 602 and 685. If you can afford more the CM9 is pretty much 85% of a 804S for a lot less. I think the new diamond line has gotten way out of hand pricing wise... 5k for 805's when they use to be 2k new..! But there is always something in there line up for every budget. Even the new 600 series even though its made in China still has great build quality. Just taking out one of the drivers will prove this..

Below is a youtube video of my system consisting of 803D's and Emotiva mono blocks. I had CM9's before and there is a video of them as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7no04oFhAlE
Not to be argumentative but what is the video supposed to show me? It is like saying look at how this looks on a radio commercial. I am not there to experience it in the room you have so what is the point of posting a video about audio, just curious?

I like many B&W products especially impressed with their headphones and although I think they make a nice product I find them to be very power hungry.

I can show you many comparably priced or cheaper speakers that have equal or better build quality with IMO better sound but that is a subjective argument isn't it. Besides at these prices this stuff better be well made. Enjoy what you have I am sure it sounds great to you which is all that matters.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cobalt
Not to be argumentative but what is the video supposed to show me? It is like saying look at how this looks on a radio commercial. I am not there to experience it in the room you have so what is the point of posting a video about audio, just curious?

I like many B&W products especially impressed with their headphones and although I think they make a nice product I find them to be very power hungry.

I can show you many comparably priced or cheaper speakers that have equal or better build quality with IMO better sound but that is a subjective argument isn't it. Besides at these prices this stuff better be well made. Enjoy what you have I am sure it sounds great to you which is all that matters.
Why do people post car videos on youtube? Why do people post videos of other electronics? We can go on all day about this butdon't see the point of your question! If you must know, I posted that video so people could get a better understanding of size of the speakers when next to common items in a HT room, but to also show off my system. You act like im the only one that has done this.. I have worked very hard to get those speakers and I enjoy them and love sharing my experiences with them. Did this offend you?

You hit the nail exactly on the head!! Everything is subjective!! What may sound good to one person maybe horried to another. The best thing to do is go out and LISTEN, to me B&W is the best sounding speaker, so I bought a pair.

Please share the speakers that are "better" built. I'm very curious to look into them. Notice I said "better" built not better sounding. Anyways Happy Listening!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:17 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I have had a pretty extended demo with VTL MB450 series 2 monoblocks and a TL 7.5 pre amp paired to a pair of previous gen B&W 802D's. I was impressed with everything except the cost and physical size...
Old 01-21-2011, 12:45 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Slow, muddled dynamics
Muddy bass
Poor imagining
Ugly
Old 01-21-2011, 12:59 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Why do people post car videos on youtube? Why do people post videos of other electronics? We can go on all day about this butdon't see the point of your question! If you must know, I posted that video so people could get a better understanding of size of the speakers when next to common items in a HT room, but to also show off my system. You act like im the only one that has done this.. I have worked very hard to get those speakers and I enjoy them and love sharing my experiences with them. Did this offend you?

You hit the nail exactly on the head!! Everything is subjective!! What may sound good to one person maybe horried to another. The best thing to do is go out and LISTEN, to me B&W is the best sounding speaker, so I bought a pair.

Please share the speakers that are "better" built. I'm very curious to look into them. Notice I said "better" built not better sounding. Anyways Happy Listening!

Ok that makes sense. I thought you were trying to impress upon us how good they sound. I think most who know the B&W line know their size and you should be proud of what you have. I am sure it is delightful.

As far as build I can name numerous in different price ranges but cosmetically they might not be as pleasing. I am currently using Totem winds. A wonderful speaker also a bit power hungry but I find them to have a better range than the B&W with better imaging and bass. They are hand made and take upwards of a month to build a set. Not cheap but not outrageous either. There are no right angles in the entire speaker. I have them in the mahogany finish which is very nice. The drivers are designed by Vince Bruzzese of Totem and built by Dynaudio.

http://totemacoustic.com/english/hi-fi/columns/wind/ Of course no speaker is worth anything without the right components. I have gone though many permutations and finally achieved what I am looking for but it took many attempts to get it right.

I also find the ADAM Tensor series http://www.adam-audio.com/en/home-au...ta/description Alphas, betas or deltas to be phenomenal for far less money than many high end speakers with a build quality that is outstanding but a cosmetic design that is not to everyone's liking. They are supposedly redesigning their entire line so i am sure it will be amazing. There are many well built speakers that sound awful so build quality is not everything. I hear the new Sonus Faber are outrageous but pricing has gotten way out of control at $160k for their new top of the line. At that price they better come with a happy ending after each lp side. LOL
Old 01-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Ok that makes sense. I thought you were trying to impress upon us how good they sound. I think most who know the B&W line know their size and you should be proud of what you have. I am sure it is delightful.

As far as build I can name numerous in different price ranges but cosmetically they might not be as pleasing. I am currently using Totem winds. A wonderful speaker also a bit power hungry but I find them to have a better range than the B&W with better imaging and bass. They are hand made and take upwards of a month to build a set. Not cheap but not outrageous either. There are no right angles in the entire speaker. I have them in the mahogany finish which is very nice. The drivers are designed by Vince Bruzzese of Totem and built by Dynaudio.

http://totemacoustic.com/english/hi-fi/columns/wind/ Of course no speaker is worth anything without the right components. I have gone though many permutations and finally achieved what I am looking for but it took many attempts to get it right.

I also find the ADAM Tensor series http://www.adam-audio.com/en/home-au...ta/description Alphas, betas or deltas to be phenomenal for far less money than many high end speakers with a build quality that is outstanding but a cosmetic design that is not to everyone's liking. They are supposedly redesigning their entire line so i am sure it will be amazing. There are many well built speakers that sound awful so build quality is not everything. I hear the new Sonus Faber are outrageous but pricing has gotten way out of control at $160k for their new top of the line. At that price they better come with a happy ending after each lp side. LOL
That would be ridiculous, the only way to hear how good they sound is to hear them in person, otherwise your listening to computer speakers. Most people don't have the ability to just walk into a dealer so I'm glad people post videos of there speakers on youtube. For example, the closest B&W dealer in my area is a 3 hour drive, as the local dealer shut its doors.

I will take a look at those speakers but I have a feeling there are 5x to 10x B&W's price range so they don't offer much value for money.

Last I heard from the B&W rep: B&W has the most patents for loudspeaker design, and creates all their drivers in house (no outsourcing like a lot of other brands), to me that means a lot. To each their own I guess. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:38 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

That would be ridiculous, the only way to hear how good they sound is to hear them in person, otherwise your listening to computer speakers. Most people don't have the ability to just walk into a dealer so I'm glad people post videos of there speakers on youtube. For example, the closest B&W dealer in my area is a 3 hour drive, as the local dealer shut its doors.

I will take a look at those speakers but I have a feeling there are 5x to 10x B&W's price range so they don't offer much value for money.

Last I heard from the B&W rep: B&W has the most patents for loudspeaker design, and creates all their drivers in house (no outsourcing like a lot of other brands), to me that means a lot. To each their own I guess. Thanks for sharing.

I guess i am lucky. Grew up with many high end shops within a few miles of my home. One of the premier stores on the east coast if not in the country is just a few miles away. I have been dealing with names like B&W/classe, Kef, Wilson, Krell, Accuphase, McIntosch, AR, Sim Audio etc, etc, etc since the 70's or their introduction.

Actually the ADAM's run between $6k and $25 depending on model and will stand up to wilson's or other ultra high end speakers. Their $6k columns are nearly as good as my totem's (slightly less bass) which cost about double that new. But I usually buy demo or used as it saves a small fortune. If you like fit and finish I use Dali Helicon's in my surround sound system with a piano finish that is unbelievable. Not bad and all the speakers I mentioned are comparable in price and in some cases less than B&W.

They make a good product don't get me wrong but some are better than others and there are many brands in these price ranges which are well built and have a distinctive sound. So long as your ears are happy that is all that counts.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:56 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing wrong with posting the video Cobalt , they at least give us a look into various setups being used and i personally enjoy viewing them, especially seeing we can't visit everyone's house !..

That aside the speakers you have listed are much more expensive than his B&W's and don't represent better value to him, seeing that he is happy with his B&W's. I will disclose I'm not a fan of the B&W house sound , but have no problem with those that do, there products are well made , well supported and well distributed world wide.

I don't see a lack of merit in either of your purchases or recommendations, everyone rides in this bidniz...

Originally Posted by GJ
Slow, muddled dynamics
Muddy bass
Poor imagining
Ugly
vs what ? references please .......................
Old 01-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Don't really have much B&W experience, but this is the latest speaker I want to add to my office. Mark & Daniel Ruby.

Last edited by Serge944; 01-21-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:19 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Nothing wrong with posting the video Cobalt , they at least give us a look into various setups being used and i personally enjoy viewing them, especially seeing we can't visit everyone's house !..
That is fine just doesn't do anything for me and did not understand why but he explained it.

That aside the speakers you have listed are much more expensive than his B&W's and don't represent better value to him, seeing that he is happy with his B&W's. I will disclose I'm not a fan of the B&W house sound , but have no problem with those that do, there products are well made , well supported and well distributed world wide.
The 803D's run around $10k a pair and the 802D around $15k So they are exactly the same price range as the ones I am speaking that is why I used them as a response to his reply. I have listened to the Adam Tensor Delta's for $10k against the 802D's and IMO a better value and equal build quality with better sound. Then again I think they sound superior to the Wilson Watt puppy's that cost considerably more also. Too bad they look the way they do.

I don't see a lack of merit in either of your purchases or recommendations, everyone rides in this bidniz...
No argument here. What I like is not necessarily what anyone else likes and might not suite the room you are trying to use. As I said before I love the sound of the Tensor line but most of these speakers will not work in my room currently. So buy what works best for your needs.

Quick Reply: Let's play Critic - whatcha make of B&W speakers?