Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

What makes an audiophile?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:09 PM
ArthurPE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V225
I don't know what you mean by "the experience".

Live concerts normally have horrible acoustics, loud crowds, and you are rarely in the perfect listening position. I think of my system as surpassing any real-world concert situation in terms of fidelity & pleasure of listening. Of course, a band playing in a perfect room with only you in the audience, sitting in the perfect location would sound awesome I'm sure...but I don't think this will ever happen.
try reproducing the power of the Stones or Wilco in your living room

or the wall if sound of a jazz ensemble with 2 point sources

the crowds, acoustic signature of the hall, the visuals of the players, etc., are all part of the experience

imho a stereo is a poor stepchild to a 'bad seat' at a good performance
but will do when you can't have the 'real thing'
Old 03-08-2011, 10:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by ArthurPE

the crowds, acoustic signature of the hall, the visuals of the players, etc., are all part of the experience

Sounds like it is time to upgrade your system.

I find my system can reproduce the subtleties that you would experience in a music hall with all the same impact minus the people directly around you. That is what I enjoy most about it. I have a number of concerts that were recorded and sold in live sets and I can assure you my living room sounds better than my stadium experience by a long shot. You have far too many echos, reverberation and boom in most stadiums even in the best seats, not to mention the dunks who can't shut up. I would take my system hands down.

Since you mentioned the stones they are one of the worst concerts I can think of for live music. Their songs are classic and great but as musicians they are lifeless. They rely solely on the recognition of their music and the crowd to make a concert an enjoyable experience. I mentioned on another thread that when seeing the Steel wheels concert at Shea they were limp until Clapton came on stage and then the stadium came to life. After he left it was like the band left with him. Their studio recordings are superior to anything live I have heard from them since the late 70's.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

a person who enjoys live music and is foolish enough to think they can replicate the experience in their home via machinery

Originally Posted by V225
Live concerts normally have horrible acoustics, loud crowds, and you are rarely in the perfect listening position. I think of my system as surpassing any real-world concert situation in terms of fidelity & pleasure of listening. Of course, a band playing in a perfect room with only you in the audience, sitting in the perfect location would sound awesome I'm sure...but I don't think this will ever happen.

I had a thread on this:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=44749
and was basically told I was stupid......
Old 03-08-2011, 12:01 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tippy
I had a thread on this:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=44749
and was basically told I was stupid......
Now now Tippy I think it was all a misunderstanding of what you were saying as we discussed.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:55 PM
ArthurPE
Race Car

I saw the Stones twice in the Civic Arena (PGH)
circa 73 and late 90's
amazing both times
in the 90's show the sound was superb, they had 2 stages, one at the end for the harder rock, one in the middle for the up close and personal stuff

my system is decent and in a good room, but I've heard some great ones, Wilson, Krell, etc., and imho nothing can come close to live rock or classical

vocals, jazz, piano is a different story...
then again PITT holds a jazz seminar and concert every year in Carnegie Music Hall on the campus, and it is pretty damn good...imo, next to impossible to replicate in a living/listening room

everybodies ears and expectations are different

Originally Posted by cobalt
Sounds like it is time to upgrade your system.

I find my system can reproduce the subtleties that you would experience in a music hall with all the same impact minus the people directly around you. That is what I enjoy most about it. I have a number of concerts that were recorded and sold in live sets and I can assure you my living room sounds better than my stadium experience by a long shot. You have far too many echos, reverberation and boom in most stadiums even in the best seats, not to mention the dunks who can't shut up. I would take my system hands down.

Since you mentioned the stones they are one of the worst concerts I can think of for live music. Their songs are classic and great but as musicians they are lifeless. They rely solely on the recognition of their music and the crowd to make a concert an enjoyable experience. I mentioned on another thread that when seeing the Steel wheels concert at Shea they were limp until Clapton came on stage and then the stadium came to life. After he left it was like the band left with him. Their studio recordings are superior to anything live I have heard from them since the late 70's.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:07 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rooms are your enemies.....or your best friend. Been there,..done that.

Doyle
Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

everybodies ears and expectations are different
Can't argue with that.

I have been auditioning high end equipment since the 70's and esoteric equipment or not I have only heard a few systems that I can say impressed me and do not sound like a stereo. I have visited some very reputable shops and walked out disappointed. Mostly because of what they were trying to push me into buying. My local shop knows I am someone worth investing time into and not a quick sale. It has taken me a long time to find the right components that work well together and do what I feel is a tremendous job of reproducing everything well and not sound like a stereo. Sometimes one mismatched component can kill the sound of some amazingly capable equipment.

As far as the Stones go the show is always quite enjoyable and the system top notch it still doesn't make them good musicians IMO. I have seen them 6 times and I was never impressed by their musical talent but their songs and showmanship are great.

The only way to convince you of what I am saying would be to have you listen to my system. It impresses me and I am not easily impressed.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:30 AM
sig_a
Pro

[QUOTE=cobalt;8367728]Can't argue with that.

.......As far as the Stones go the show is always quite enjoyable and the system top notch it still doesn't make them good musicians IMO. I have seen them 6 times and I was never impressed by their musical talent.......

--------

Jagger/Richards are the Rogers and Hammerstein of rock & roll.

The sum of their combined talent is 1+1 equals 3. Jagger is no lyrical poet and Richards is not Jeff Beck. But together they produced Gimmie Shelter. Maybe the best rock and roll song ever.

And it's often the same with stereo equipment where the more eclectic the mix, the more magic the sound.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:58 PM
MDeBoard
Track Day

I love the Stones, especially Keef, but they sound like a train wreck. I watched "Shine a Light" and it sounds like they're playing without monitors. I know it's supposed to be controlled sloppy but that's taking it a bit far.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:43 PM
ArthurPE
Race Car

[QUOTE=sig_a;8367832]
Can't argue with that.

.......As far as the Stones go the show is always quite enjoyable and the system top notch it still doesn't make them good musicians IMO. I have seen them 6 times and I was never impressed by their musical talent.......

--------

Jagger/Richards are the Rogers and Hammerstein of rock & roll.

The sum of their combined talent is 1+1 equals 3. Jagger is no lyrical poet and Richards is not Jeff Beck. But together they produced Gimmie Shelter. Maybe the best rock and roll song ever.

And it's often the same with stereo equipment where the more eclectic the mix, the more magic the sound.
it's only rock n' roll...but I like it
no thinking required with this stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6yh_...feature=fvwrel
Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 AM
LT Texan
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I mentioned on another thread that when seeing the Steel wheels concert at Shea they were limp until Clapton came on stage and then the stadium came to life.
I think I was at that concert. Wasn't that in the Summer of '89? Didn't living Colour open - man they were really great!

It was great to see the Stones. My first and last time ever.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 AM
LT Texan
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's the "experience" of the live show. The social gathering, the artist's interaction with the crowd - that's what my hifi can't do, nor do I expect it to.

Studio recorded music is an altogether different ball of wax.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:58 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MDeBoard
I love the Stones, especially Keef, but they sound like a train wreck. I watched "Shine a Light" and it sounds like they're playing without monitors. I know it's supposed to be controlled sloppy but that's taking it a bit far.
+1
Originally Posted by sig_a

it's only rock n' roll...but I like it
no thinking required with this stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6yh_...feature=fvwrel
Agreed, although the last time I heard them sound like that live was 1977 or 78 not sure exactly when that tour was which was supposed to be their last.
Originally Posted by Dan Perez
I think I was at that concert. Wasn't that in the Summer of '89? Didn't living Colour open - man they were really great!

I am getting older but I believe you are correct. It was a fun concert. The crowd was pumped and the stadium was rocking literally. But their playing was far from the best i had heard them. I believe there was a BBC special years ago when Richards and BB King were working together and King was all over him telling him he was a guitar player and not a musician. I found that comically true.

There are many artists I have seen Springsteen is one for an example that the crowd varies so much and many of the new listeners have no idea what a song like Thunder road was about or had ever heard it. The majority of the audience goes crazy for it and these new fans are like what is this? Meanwhile the old Giants stadium had acoustics of a foot locker and made for a wonderful performance but an awful listening experience. Much rather listen to it in my home without the crazies.

It's the "experience" of the live show. The social gathering, the artist's interaction with the crowd - that's what my hifi can't do, nor do I expect it to.

Studio recorded music is an altogether different ball of wax.
Nothing can recreate the energy of a crowd but the sound of a concert can be reproduced. If recorded properly it is nearly as exciting to me if the artist is doing their job properly and more pleasurable to enjoy the music in the comfort of my own home without the bad acoustics.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not the biggest Stones fan -- they're just a little bit before my time and I'm more of a Beatles guy anyway. I did recently read Keith Richards' memoir Life which I enthusiastically endorse.

It's a great, open, personal book and I really feel like I know the guy now after having read it. Worth tracking down. It's available on the Kindle.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Now now Tippy I think it was all a misunderstanding of what you were saying as we discussed.
Yes, but I don't see how...anyways

It has taken me a long time to find the right components that work well together and do what I feel is a tremendous job of reproducing everything well and not sound like a stereo. Sometimes one mismatched component can kill the sound of some amazingly capable equipment.

Ok, we need the list of components and a pic or it doesn't exist....

Quick Reply: What makes an audiophile?