Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

What makes an audiophile?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default What makes an audiophile?

Here's my take...

I use my stereo to listen to music.
An audiophile uses music to listen to their stereo.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

believer in a lot of snake oil (and ball bearings, and cable lifts, and mystical rocks, ...).

It is enlightening when one finally goes from listening to the system back to listening to the music.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Yeah there is a lot of strange products out that claims all sorts of things. I've out of curiosity have gone to stores to look into some of these things and they are total snake oil.

most of my life I've been a musician. I work in the music industry and feel that I know what acoustic instrument sound like in real life. I also travel for my job a lot and I do go into audio stre and demo set up's. Some I hear the sound is colored some sound really good.

To me an audiophile is or should be a person that has a room properly set up that they can go into and listen to music and relax. This person is knowledgable about the gear and strives to seekout the best gear to listen to music. This is there hobby.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:26 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yeah there is a lot of strange products out that claims all sorts of things. I've out of curiosity have gone to stores to look into some of these things and they are total snake oil.

most of my life I've been a musician. I work in the music industry and feel that I know what acoustic instrument sound like in real life. I also travel for my job a lot and I do go into audio stre and demo set up's. Some I hear the sound is colored some sound really good.

To me an audiophile is or should be a person that has a room properly set up that they can go into and listen to music and relax. This person is knowledgable about the gear and strives to seekout the best gear to listen to music. This is there hobby.
Exactly!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:42 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
Exactly!
+1
Old 09-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

You want to read some funny stuff, get on Audiogon and look up 'Machina Dynamica.'

But be forwarned, you will **** yourself laughing at the claims and the products.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
Here's my take...

I use my stereo to listen to music.
An audiophile uses music to listen to their stereo.
There's truth to that. I admit to just enjoying the sounds that come out of my modern and vintage systems.

Originally Posted by mdrums
Ultimately it does come down to being able to lose yourself in the music and relax. I've been into audio gear for as long as I've been into cars, (and I'm a fairly old guy!) And you're right, it's a hobby, and might I add a passion, and something of a disease!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:26 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Ultimately it does come down to being able to lose yourself in the music and relax. I've been into audio gear for as long as I've been into cars, (and I'm a fairly old guy!) And you're right, it's a hobby, and might I add a passion, and something of a disease!

+++++
Old 09-24-2010, 12:04 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

+++++
I'll double your pluses and then add ten more.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

defn: a constant search for the most realistic replication of the original performance.

I will listen to music that I like a little less if it is really well recorded and I can hear how the players are playing their instruments.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:30 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

An audiophile is someone that has not yet learned that the music can be enjoyed without mega buck systems, under less than ideal conditions, in a non-treated room, and without stressing out over every minute detail they think is missing...

me, I just sit back and enjoy the music...
Old 11-07-2010, 01:14 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An audiophile is a person who has a room in their house set up with the primary purpose of listening to recordings.
Someone who doesn't care that the speakers don't "look right" where they are.
It's not about the $$ or the blue LEDs, it's about making a conscious effort to reproduce the recording as accurately possible, and enjoying the music.
A friend of mine once had a sign on his system that I loved.
"This equipment is intended for listening. If you're not going to shut up and listen, get the F&$% OUT!"

Sadly I no longer have such a system set up in my house.
My old system, Meyer HD-1 Studio monitors & a NAD pre-amp.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:20 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, my favourite quote...

"The only time I can hear the difference in the wire is when there isn't one" - the late, great, Stephen St Croix.
Automotive enthusiast & contributor to Mix Magazine.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:03 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Someone whose speaker cables are larger than truck HD jumper cables, yet only 6" long.

Someone whose listening chair has been bolted to the floor at the optimal listening position in the room.

Someone who insists on using Litz wire dental floss.

Someone who regularly calls the electric utility to complain about their dirty power.

Someone who thinks "ground" is something other than what is simply under your feet.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:23 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Someone who regularly calls the electric utility to complain about their dirty power.
LOL
Funny, but sometimes necessary.
I once worked in a recording studio that had to take a break during peak usage at supper time because the transfo on the main line feeding the town would get saturated.

Quick Reply: What makes an audiophile?