Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Reusing 996 Bose Subwoofer Enclosure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 03:31 PM
kstumpfy
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Reusing 996 Bose Subwoofer Enclosure?

Quick background: I just replaced most of my 2004 996TT Cab audio components (Kenwood H/U, Focal Evo 3-way speakers in door and dash). While I appreciate that I now have Bluetooth and a back-up camera, not loving the sound as much as my wallet is telling I should be. I know it's a cab and the sound won't be winning any awards, but I'm still hoping to improve it. Which brings up the much lamented subwoofer conundrum and my question...

After doing quite a bit of searching and forum diving, I didn't see anyone who tried to reuse the factory bose enclosure in the passenger foot area. The stock speaker is 4x6 that points down. Is there anything that would prevent me from using the same enclosure by covering up the existing speaker and port holes, and cutting an opening for an 8inch woofer that would point out towards the passengers feet (see pic; paper represents speaker size)? The enclosure is shaped a bit like a parallelogram. Taking some basic W / L / H measurements, the enclosed volume is roughly 0.29 cubic ft (sealed). Most of the shallow-mount 8in subwoofers I've researched on Crutchfield require a minimum of 0.2 cubic ft., so while not ideal, I should be within specs.
What am I missing? Thank you very much for your thoughts!!!

The paper is 8in diameter

Stock enclosure with speaker facing down.

Last edited by kstumpfy; 04-19-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:14 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 243 Posts

i'm thinking about doing the same... i'm a coupe but didn't want to put the sub behind the rear seats... i figure with the cab sub, it could save a bit on weight and some space but then i might have to cut my carpet...

i was looking to see if i could squeeze a 10 in there but your paper confirms that 8 is probably the max... i just finished my radio install and am lacking bottom end, i'm not looking to shatter windows but want fuller range sound...
Old 04-23-2020, 12:39 PM
kstumpfy
7th Gear

I'm thinking about buying a spare enclosure on ebay ($150) and trying it out first to see what I can get out of it. I was just hoping someone smart on audio-tech would let me know if something about this idea is a non-starter for whatever reason...
Old 04-24-2020, 12:48 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

i saw your similar thread on the other forum... i think it's a viable option as long as you aren't looking for some earth shattering bass. i was also thinking about picking one up on ebay as well and experimenting. which sub would you go with? the pioneer free air seems to be the one that is the thinnest and you might not have to bother with sealing the bottom of the enclosure either...
Old 04-24-2020, 10:01 PM
kstumpfy
7th Gear

Honestly, I don't know which sub I would go with. I wanted to make sure there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the idea first. I took a quick look at shallow 8" subs on Crutchfield... I like the Pioneer you mentioned since it only requires .15 cubic feet enclosure; the Rockford Fosgate has good reviews (and is on sale). I'm open to suggestions.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:20 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

the pioneer has a lower range and it's dvc 2ohm on each coil so you would wire it as 4ohm... i like that it's a free air sub so you don't need to worry about patching up the hole too much... but the reviews are 50/50..

what's the depth of the stock box? i wonder if you could put a spacer ring to buy some more depth..
Old 04-25-2020, 11:05 PM
kstumpfy
7th Gear

Most of the box is ~4in deep, but tapers off at the top. It should be enough room for either (pioneer or RF). I'll be running it off of an Alpine PDX-V9 amp with a 500Ws for the sub channel.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:34 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

i say give it a shot... i have held off from pulling the trigger until all this covid stuff passes and i have a better sense of financial stability...
Old 05-01-2020, 07:17 PM
kstumpfy
7th Gear

I ordered an enclosure off of ebay ($90) and a shallow 8" Rockford Fosgate. Gonna test it out before I cut into my box. I'll let you know how it comes out.
The following users liked this post:
kamlung (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 08:25 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kstumpfy
I ordered an enclosure off of ebay ($90) and a shallow 8" Rockford Fosgate. Gonna test it out before I cut into my box. I'll let you know how it comes out.
where did you get it for 90$?
Old 05-01-2020, 08:34 PM
kstumpfy
7th Gear

The seller was az_cycle_parts_phx. It's supposed to arrive on Monday. I can let you know how it looks/worked out.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:42 PM
Adeelio
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to this!
Old 05-15-2020, 03:15 PM
kstumpfy
7th Gear

Ok... so my little experiment didn't go as well as I hoped. Quick recap, I cut a hole in the stock enclosure, bolted in an 8" Rockford Fosgate shallow mount, stuffed in polyfill, and used dynomat to seal both the port hole and the original subwoofer location. Bottom line is the enclosure isn't very stiff and rattled A LOT. I was expecting the dynomat I used to cover the holes to vibrate, but was a bit surprised on the actual enclosure. I will admit I could have done more to strengthen the plastic enclosure by adding dynomat to the interior and using a stiffer material to cover the holes, but I was already at the bottom limit of the recommended enclosure capacity for the speaker and I had a heck of a time getting the nuts on the bolts the first time, I wasn't excited at doing it again while dubious if it would make a different.

I think someone with more time and desire to tinker within it could probably make it work.I ended up putting a boxed JL Audio 8in where the spare tire goes.

Total set-up includes Kenwood head unit, Alpine 5 channel amplifier, Focal Evolution 3-way in the door and dash, Alpine 3” 30MC with 1” S Type tweeters in the rear (pushed from the head unit), and the aforementioned sub. I love the sound, though the Focals are REALLY bright/sharp and took A LOT of system tuning to get the sound I was looking for. If I could do it over, I'd probably go a different way on that one.

Old 05-16-2020, 12:54 PM
lconn
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have it handy but there is another thread here somewhere from a long time ago where they modded the existing box for an 8" shallow sub. It looked completely stock from the outside.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:11 PM
lconn
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is that link for the 8" conversion of the stock enclosure. Love to hear how this sounds, I took a different approach in the short term.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-upgrade.html

Quick Reply: Reusing 996 Bose Subwoofer Enclosure?