Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Reusing 996 Bose Subwoofer Enclosure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 12:23 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by kstumpfy
Ok... so my little experiment didn't go as well as I hoped. Quick recap, I cut a hole in the stock enclosure, bolted in an 8" Rockford Fosgate shallow mount, stuffed in polyfill, and used dynomat to seal both the port hole and the original subwoofer location. Bottom line is the enclosure isn't very stiff and rattled A LOT. I was expecting the dynomat I used to cover the holes to vibrate, but was a bit surprised on the actual enclosure. I will admit I could have done more to strengthen the plastic enclosure by adding dynomat to the interior and using a stiffer material to cover the holes, but I was already at the bottom limit of the recommended enclosure capacity for the speaker and I had a heck of a time getting the nuts on the bolts the first time, I wasn't excited at doing it again while dubious if it would make a different.

I think someone with more time and desire to tinker within it could probably make it work.I ended up putting a boxed JL Audio 8in where the spare tire goes.

Total set-up includes Kenwood head unit, Alpine 5 channel amplifier, Focal Evolution 3-way in the door and dash, Alpine 3” 30MC with 1” S Type tweeters in the rear (pushed from the head unit), and the aforementioned sub. I love the sound, though the Focals are REALLY bright/sharp and took A LOT of system tuning to get the sound I was looking for. If I could do it over, I'd probably go a different way on that one.

i wonder if you can plastic weld the holes shut... that should help build some rigidity and seal the gaps? what JL did you put in the spare?

Quick Reply: Reusing 996 Bose Subwoofer Enclosure?