Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 08:46 PM
GJSI
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

dan_189,

After removing the HDD, the PCM booted up and I had the same functionality, only this time the CD player would load and start to read the disk but would not display or play the tracks. The rebooting every few minutes remained the same. I got identical results with the cloned SSD inserted in the PCM. When I reinserted the damaged HDD, I regained the use of the cd player.

Graham
Old 05-15-2020, 08:57 PM
kari
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by GJSI
dan_189,

After removing the HDD, the PCM booted up and I had the same functionality, only this time the CD player would load and start to read the disk but would not display or play the tracks. The rebooting every few minutes remained the same. I got identical results with the cloned SSD inserted in the PCM. When I reinserted the damaged HDD, I regained the use of the cd player.

Graham
Depending on the location of the bad sectors, the problem may persist and mainfest differently. Cloning does not fix the data lost because of bad sectors. If the bad sectors result in a file loss, then running the update disk again will resolve the issue. If the bad sectors affect the filesystem itself then running the update disk may cause you to get into an emergency loop. Anyway, check out my earlier post: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16522507 - it has a link to another post on the forum for the iso image of the update disk. You can burn that into a DVD and run... That thread also provides options on recovering from an emergency loop in case you were to run into one.....
Old 05-15-2020, 09:24 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

I think that if you're getting constant rebooting then the issue might be more sinister than the hard drive. Thoughts @kari ?

Also I'd extract the ISO to a USB if your car has a USB drive - it's more reliable in my opinion.

Sounds like your PCM might have an internal electrical issue.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:48 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by dan_189
I think that if you're getting constant rebooting then the issue might be more sinister than the hard drive. Thoughts @kari ?

Also I'd extract the ISO to a USB if your car has a USB drive - it's more reliable in my opinion.

Sounds like your PCM might have an internal electrical issue.
Agree with dan_189, many of the cases where the unit reboots just after the logo is displayed have hardware or firmware problems. But if the unit is rebooting after 3-4 minutes, then there is a good possibility this is HDD based. Many embedded systems or RTOS based devices (real time operating systems) are programmed to restart on detection of any anomaly that its not setup to handle. No way to know without trying to run the update disk. The update disk reloads all the firmware (OS components, drivers etc) except for some core data specific to the unit like licenses etc and it also loads the data in the HDD (Except maps). So, even if there is filesystem corruption at the firmware level, a reinstall using the update disk should resolve it. Or atleast we will know where the corruption is. But there is the possibility of a hardware/FPGA issue if the problem persists despite running the update disk..

Old 05-15-2020, 09:50 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by kari
Agree with dan_189, many of the cases where the unit reboots just after the logo is displayed have hardware or firmware problems. But if the unit is rebooting after 3-4 minutes, then there is a good possibility this is HDD based. Many embedded systems or RTOS based devices (real time operating systems) are programmed to restart on detection of any anomaly that its not setup to handle. No way to know without trying to run the update disk. The update disk reloads all the firmware (OS components, drivers etc) except for some core data specific to the unit like licenses etc and it also loads the data in the HDD (Except maps). So, even if there is filesystem corruption at the firmware level, a reinstall using the update disk should resolve it. Or atleast we will know where the corruption is. But there is the possibility of a hardware/FPGA issue if the problem persists despite running the update disk..
Makes sense
Old 05-16-2020, 06:56 PM
GJSI
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

dan_189 and kari,
Thanks for your inputs - I will attempt to do the update in the next few days.
One point of interest, that may or may not be relevant, is that this problem first revealed itself the first time I started the car after the expiration of my Porsche Car Connect Service. I received a notice from Vodafone that my Car Connect 5 year Service Contract was about to expire and would be turned off if I did not renew.
I did not renew and the next time I used the car, I checked my Porsche Car Connect App and found that it was no longer active and the car location and other details were no longer available. Then when I started the car the navi failed to load the maps and I also lost the jukebox. The "rebooting" cycle also started happening.
Perhaps it was a coincidence that my problems started at that point in time! In the prior 5 years there had been zero problems with the car.
The other observation of note is that the regular "rebooting" is more akin to a power cycling of the PCM and is not accompanied by a display of the Porsche logo, which I do get occasionally on startup. It seems that the power is briefly disconnected and reconnected every 5 minutes or so and the PCM audio always resets to FM preset 1, with the volume set at a fixed level.
It almost seems that the PCM is trying and failing to load data from the HDD and keeps repeating the attempt every few minutes. Since the overnight battery drain also seemed higher than usual, I turned off the ignition, sat in the car for 20 minutes, and could hear a double extended click sound from the PCM every 5 minutes even with the car shut off and the PCM display blank.
I strongly suspect that the power is recycling to the PCM all the time, even with the car not in use. I have currently pulled the PCM fuse and have the battery on trickle charge until this issue is resolved.
Perhaps these observations will throw some light on the problem and hopefully the firmware update will improve the situation. Unfortunately, I studied mechanical engineering and my electronics diagnostic skills are very poor.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:44 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by GJSI
dan_189 and kari,
Thanks for your inputs - I will attempt to do the update in the next few days.
One point of interest, that may or may not be relevant, is that this problem first revealed itself the first time I started the car after the expiration of my Porsche Car Connect Service. I received a notice from Vodafone that my Car Connect 5 year Service Contract was about to expire and would be turned off if I did not renew.
I did not renew and the next time I used the car, I checked my Porsche Car Connect App and found that it was no longer active and the car location and other details were no longer available. Then when I started the car the navi failed to load the maps and I also lost the jukebox. The "rebooting" cycle also started happening.
Perhaps it was a coincidence that my problems started at that point in time! In the prior 5 years there had been zero problems with the car.
The other observation of note is that the regular "rebooting" is more akin to a power cycling of the PCM and is not accompanied by a display of the Porsche logo, which I do get occasionally on startup. It seems that the power is briefly disconnected and reconnected every 5 minutes or so and the PCM audio always resets to FM preset 1, with the volume set at a fixed level.
It almost seems that the PCM is trying and failing to load data from the HDD and keeps repeating the attempt every few minutes. Since the overnight battery drain also seemed higher than usual, I turned off the ignition, sat in the car for 20 minutes, and could hear a double extended click sound from the PCM every 5 minutes even with the car shut off and the PCM display blank.
I strongly suspect that the power is recycling to the PCM all the time, even with the car not in use. I have currently pulled the PCM fuse and have the battery on trickle charge until this issue is resolved.
Perhaps these observations will throw some light on the problem and hopefully the firmware update will improve the situation. Unfortunately, I studied mechanical engineering and my electronics diagnostic skills are very poor.
The power to the PCM unit is always ON and its the internals of the unit that control the power up/down when you turn on the key. If you really want to test the 20min method again, then try locking the vehicle..
Anyway, the more you explain the problem, the more I suspect file or filesystem corruption on the HDD and this is not resolved by just plugging a cloned SSD in. You will have to run the update DVD after burning the disk using the iso image from the earlier link. If its just file corruption or filesystem corruption within the firmware, the update should be sufficient to get back full functionality (except navigation as any file corruption of the navigation files requries a reinstall of the maps - you dont have to buy a new license key unless you are upgrading maps, but you will need the dealer to reinstall the maps that you already have a license for if you want them back). If during the upgrade you get a 'Emergency update' screen, then you will have to read the rest of the thread on the emergency update that I shared. There was a similar case where the update failed due to filesystem corruption that had to be resolved before the update could complete...

Last edited by kari; 05-17-2020 at 07:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Kinderelk (08-05-2021)
Old 05-17-2020, 09:05 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Kari can you shed some light on the maps for me please? What does the verification of the map code? My car only has a GPS signal and I don't have a sim card in it. I have seen the upgrade process where you enter a map code via PIWIS2 and then load the maps via disks. What validates the map code?

I'd like to upgrade to the latest 2018 maps - was the whole reason for upgrading the HD + software in the first place. I have a PIWIS2 so don;t need to pay the dealer to load the maps but i'm curious about the key validation.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:18 PM
Can_Pan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM crash

Thanks so much jslo73 ! - I was sure HD was shot, but reset PCM 3.1 as recommended and normal radio works and CD's. Ran for over an hour with no crashes. Do you know how I can get around XM crash? - I have not restored service to it yet - lost code when reset, but wanted to have solution before hooking back into service. PS I have V3.43 on my 2013 Panamera. Can I go straight to V4.76?. I also tried following a couple of links to purchase the DVD, but none seem to work (maxspeedmotorsports). If you could direct me to site to purchase it would really appreciated!
Old 05-23-2020, 01:44 PM
epnfrn
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Bad news -- My PCM was working great with a new SDD that jslo helped me with this winter. Now, only a few months later, it has started re-booting again, as before!!! Briefly had a 'low battery' signal come up but it hasn't returned. This was the prelude to my first time losing the PCM. Battery was replaced then (4 months ago). HELP!!! WTF Porsche? Another odd thing I've noticed. Even if I power off the PCM, it will still reset itself after 5 minutes and turn on. Repeatably. Ideas?

Update: it was the Sirius XM thing. Thanks Jason for sending me the tutorial on resetting.

Last edited by epnfrn; 05-24-2020 at 11:54 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by epnfrn:
jslo (05-28-2020), Kinderelk (08-05-2021), PJK3 (07-26-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 12:10 PM
cbreilly
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

5/24/20 - JSLO rocks !
His tip to 'Reset the PCM System: Vehicle Handover' has solved the problem with my 2013 Boxster S (PCM 3.1 w/ Sirius XM).
The PCM was frequently turning on by itself (loud AM!), and so driving was quite unpleasant. Was steeling myself to try a hard drive swap when I spotted JSLO's 5/20 note shown at bottom.
Thanks, JSLO!

Next quest: I will move this related problem to another thread: During the "PCM crisis", the battery completely drained in two days, sitting in the garage. Can a gremlin PCM drain battery? Jump started it, and see "Steering Support Limited. Possible to drive on". Tried all the tips to reset the "steering angle sensor" but no luck.
Need a PIWIS reset by dealer or possible damage to the module?
-C. Reilly

JSLO wrote:
Issue that recently came up as of 5/20/20. Something about XM service causing a reboot. Try this first, before assuming the hard drive is dead:

Start car or just turn to "accessory"
Push "CAR" on the PCM
Push "Option" > Set PCM System > Reset PCM System > Vehicle Handover > Yes > Yes
All preset and bluetooth settings will be erased as well as saved addresses, and any music on your jukeBox, but it will stop the rebooting issue.
-------------------------------------
If you are still having problems after this, then you should look into whether or not your hard drive is dead.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:39 PM
chegarty
1st Gear

Default You still in the PCM upgrade business

Having the same problems with my PCM in my Cayenne. Ordered a SATA SSD today and will attempt to swap out. Any suggestions on where to get the PCM upgrade disk?

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:14 PM
dstrus
1st Gear

I am also looking for the PCM 3.1 upgrade disc. Where are these available? I think my problem is the XM thing, but I'm still wanting to replace my hard drive with a SSD unit before I have any problems...
Old 05-26-2020, 03:18 PM
cbreilly
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try here. Another member gave a link to an .iso ( PCM upgrade 4.76 file) for dl then burn to DVD.
Several members reported success. Look for that in this thread:https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1055...-common-3.html
or
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1175...e-booting.html

For solutions by tech-savvy members who sought to fix the hard drive's bad blocks/partitions, see https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-an...-to-ssd-5.html

PanaPano (01-09-2024)
Old 05-27-2020, 11:40 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 224 Posts

Any tips for Mac OS users? I figured since Clonezilla was a GNU/Linux distro that I'd be able to make a bootable USB and just restart via EFI into Clonezilla to mirror over my PCM drive, but it doesn't want to see the USB upon boot, and after looking into it more, it seems that Mac OS doesn't seem to like Clonezilla USB drives overall.

I have access to a Windows laptop, but wanted to see if there was a way to just do this within, say, Terminal or something before moving on to that.

Edit: this is also the nerdiest thread I've seen here so far that exists at the intersection of automotive repair + tech troubleshooting. This is hitting all my geek receptors, I love it.

Edit 2: running dd in command line right now and it seems to be doing the trick. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by burnergt4; 05-28-2020 at 02:24 AM.
Kinderelk (08-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD