Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

2017 718 S Bose Stereo Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 08:58 AM
JR215
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 718 S Bose Stereo Question(s)

Hello All,

I am new to Porsche's and this is my first post (just picked up the car last week). I have a 718 S w/ Bose. I have searched and was unable to find the answers to the following questions:

I have been modifying my cars since I was 16 with aftermarket stereo's but I am unable to find any "how-to" guides for removal of this specific vehicles headunit, door cards, etc. I also like to see what others have done, and given the space constraints I feel like this is going to be a major influence on my path forward if I actually end up doing anything at all.

What are the speaker locations, sizes, etc. I believe there is a 3 way system in the door cards and a sub in one of the panels (I believe behind/near the glove box).
Are there rear speakers as well? If so, where are they, not that this matters much as I wouldn't have them playing if I do a stereo swap, but still good information for me to have I suppose.

I'm looking to do a set of 6.5" midbass in the door and a 3.5" wide band (300hz and up, check out Hybrid Audio Legatia L3v2 if you are curious about the speaker response) in the door/dash along with a punchy sub (would go as large as I can fit in the trunk side compartment) coupled to a Helix DSP and a JL HD 6 channel amp. Source unit would be a Alpine CarPlay unit.

What features besides the nav in the gauge cluster would I be giving up? The unit is Bluetooth compatible but would require a separate mic to be run to interface. I would use a ASWC to retain factory steering wheel controls.

Suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you,

-Jonathan
Old 08-07-2018, 07:56 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 220 Posts

Have you looked into the CarPlay upgrade at Suncoast Parts? You should be able to preserve your PCM and multifunction display functionality, along with the OEM look.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:57 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Why on earth would you replace the PCM unit? Get an interface from NavTV to run Toslink directly into the Helix DSP. Also, why run a two-way with a wide-band? You have a perfect setup for a three-way system with an oversized 8" door woofer and a dedicated subwoofer for the bottom end. My Rant aside, if you're looking for more info, check out this thread on a 2015 Turbo S with Bose. The 718's Bose system follows the same architecture for speakers but uses a different amplifier(still located under the passenger seat).

Link: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9306...eam-991-a.html
Old 08-16-2018, 09:42 AM
JR215
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the guidance, I appreciate the information. I previously skimmed through the build you linked and where I found it interesting (and great work btw), I was unaware that the 718 was so similar in terms of door speaker sizes, etc. I still need to know how to remove the cards, etc. I have been told by several people that you can't just "Figure it out" on a Porsche like you can on Japanese cars.

I also appreciate the direction on the NavTv to Toslink, I am in the process of researching this subject to better understand it. Given what I think it means thus far, you are spot on about not replacing the headunit, as it was a big concern of mine with losing so many specific pieces of functionality.

I did some searching, is this the only interface available? https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT860/zen-v.html

I suppose some of my desire to run the 2 way system was being driven by specific speakers I'm running (Hybrid Audio L3v2 and Clarus 6.5") and not being 100% sure what the current system used/locations, etc. but to your point, with a DSP why not pop in a set of tweeters and run full active and not sacrifice my top end. I also didn't realize that the car ran 8" in the door, which will be fun to mess with.

Outside of a trunk/wheel well sub box, any other locations that you'd recommend for the sub? Also, do I really need a dedicated sub in this set up given its size, etc. if I am already running 2 8's upfront, do I really need the 3rd 8 in the back?

Assuming I don't want to go insane with the install, outside of Mosconi what amps would you recommend? I ran an Arc 1200.6 and found it to be fairly decent but wasn't impressed. I have thought about running 2 JL HD's but hear mixed reviews on them.

Any advice would be welcomed

Last edited by JR215; 08-16-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 718 S Bose Stereo Question(s)