Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help, can my 997.2 Turbo jump start a 6.2L Escalade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:27 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help, can my 997.2 Turbo jump start a 6.2L Escalade?

I haven't looked into this before and my wife's 2015 Escalade is dead. And as luck would have it, my M3 battery was dead this morning. Must be going around...

Anyway, is this advisable?
Old 06-26-2017, 11:04 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Your owners manual will probably say no, but it's no big deal. A battery is a battery.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:08 AM
General Jack
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Catorce
Your owners manual will probably say no, but it's no big deal. A battery is a battery.
Owners manual only addressed a 911 with a dead battery, didn't address the 911 as a donor.

And I agree that a battery is a battery, but my old F430 had a very particular sequence for jumping, used slave terminals behind the seat rather than attaching to the battery, etc. I suppose those memories lead to my question.

As it was my turbo wasn't up to the task, but I blame it on my decidely less than heavy duty jumper cables.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:26 AM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Ok well the slightly more detailed answer is this - and I do hold a 2 year certificate of electronics engineering, but am not an engineer.

Lastly, I too own an Escalade, so I think we are on the same page here.

The Turbo makes an excellent donor because you can jump right off the battery as opposed to using remote terminals which add resistance. The Escalade also has its battery up front, and I recommend NOT using the remote terminals (not sure why it even has these, inches from the battery.

Go LIVE to DEAD, idle the turbo up, connect to the 'Scalade, let it sit for a minute, then try the car.

What is happening is then is that the turbo's battery, boosted by it's alternator, provides enough charge to turn the starter of the 'Scalade.

If done SPARINGLY you will be fine. Don't do it for 20 minutes straight. Make sure all accessories on both vehicles (AC, defrosters) are off so that only the starter is being energized.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:30 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

My solution? Call Auto Club, get a jump start, immediately drive to the nearest auto parts store, buy new battery, install. Or just drive the TT and buy a new battery and install. But yeh, you should be fine jumping it from the TT.

I don't get the worries over batteries. They die. They take minutes to install. They don't cost much in the scheme of things. I've bought recent ones at AutoZone, they work fine. Recently AutoZone battery in my TT died (after a couple years), took it back, they handed me a new one under warranty at no charge.

I did once pay a newly minted lawyer $5 to install a new battery at the Interstate store (which his dad owned), quite the deal! Gave him my card and told him to contact me and I'd help him find a job. Never heard from him, maybe he still likes installing batteries?

Quick Reply: Need help, can my 997.2 Turbo jump start a 6.2L Escalade?