Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Porsche 997 Turbo Owner; Spun Camshaft: What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 07:23 AM
dbeck84
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Use a good independant and its not that bad

first two years not a dollar on repairs, in the past 5 weeks i first noticed a tear in the coolant lines, new lines and water pimp 2k. Had it back for 200 miles and got the same code. my car was out of service for 3 weeks but my final billl came in a 6700 to rebuild the engine and pin the cams.

Dont understand why so many think this will cost so much more. if was more annoying paying knowing nothing was actually wrong but something that does not need to be happening in the first place. I got over it wthin 100 miles back in the car
Old 06-05-2017, 04:58 PM
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign

I know I was thinking the same thing! New project idea for sure. You should see in person it's so mean and wide looking! We also did RS wheels and full bolt ons. We also came up with a slightly different design on the Kline exhaust system to accommodate the difference in tone the new cars produce.

looks badass, and nice idea to use RS wheels, very complimentary. more pics would be appreciated
Old 06-06-2017, 12:19 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

Found em!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 06-06-2017, 12:24 PM
Steven954
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With the crazy money spent on upgrades and actually ruining the car costing you more why not just buy a more expensive car to begin with? How much are you in to the car at this point?
Old 06-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven954
With the crazy money spent on upgrades and actually ruining the car costing you more why not just buy a more expensive car to begin with? How much are you in to the car at this point?
Who says it's going to ruin the car? Why do you care what money he spends? As for me, I like to modify cars and the math doesn't need to add up, and I don't sell my rides either. Check my sig.

As to buying a more expensive car to begin with, I could have pretty much any car I want to, but what *I* want right now is a modified 997 TT, and that is exactly what I am doing to one of my two.

If I have to explain it you wouldn't understand.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:16 PM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

I think Steven is only trying to be helpful. I wouldn't personally swap my 997 for a more expensive car either but there is some sense in what he's saying.

As i said before the set up D has already is perfect so just pin the cams and be done with it. To go to that crazy spend to "potentially" go 5mph quicker at the 1/2 mile doesn't seem worth it and you're then running the 65mm VTGS way beyond their efficiency levels.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:17 PM
IMI A
Banned

Thumbs up

That 991 turbo S on GT3 wheels looks nuts
Old 06-06-2017, 03:26 PM
Steven954
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Catorce;14237535]Who says it's going to ruin the car? Why do you care what money he spends? As for me, I like to modify cars and the math doesn't need to add up, and I don't sell my rides either. Check my sig.

As to buying a more expensive car to begin with, I could have pretty much any car I want to, but what *I* want right now is a modified 997 TT, and that is exactly what I am doing to one of my two.

If I have to explain it you wouldn't understand.[/QUOTE

I feel bad that the OP purchased his new to him 997TT and has to fork up so my $$$ just to get it right.. Seems like your the one you doesn't understand. By the way, those with more impressive sigs would never comment the way you just did, just saying.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:52 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven954

I feel bad that the OP purchased his new to him 997TT and has to fork up so my $$$ just to get it right.. Seems like your the one you doesn't understand. By the way, those with more impressive sigs would never comment the way you just did, just saying.
The OP is a big boy, and he didn't just purchase a 997TT and have a failure - from what I am gathering, he already went down the road of modifications, and when you modify stuff, it breaks. Like a big boy, OP is stepping up to that reality and taking care of it.

As to your last statement about signatures I don't even know what you mean so I will leave it at that. The bottom line is there are two types of Porsche owners - ones that modify, and ones that prefer to leave it stock.

I have never at any time knocked a guy who wants to keep his car stock, but I do absolutely demand the same courtesy is shown to those of us who like to modify our cars. This includes asking why the OP doesn't just "buy a more expensive car".
Old 06-06-2017, 03:57 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by IMI A
I think Steven is only trying to be helpful. I wouldn't personally swap my 997 for a more expensive car either but there is some sense in what he's saying.

As i said before the set up D has already is perfect so just pin the cams and be done with it. To go to that crazy spend to "potentially" go 5mph quicker at the 1/2 mile doesn't seem worth it and you're then running the 65mm VTGS way beyond their efficiency levels.

It's more than just the top end or peak speed improvement but also looking for mid power band enhancements. To that extent we are also upgrading the turbos to maximize the 3.8 build. I think we are going with upgraded 68mm VTG GT2 turbos. Can't share all the secrets of the build yet but this thing should be rock solid across the entire RPM band...
Old 06-06-2017, 04:11 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
The OP is a big boy, and he didn't just purchase a 997TT and have a failure - from what I am gathering, he already went down the road of modifications, and when you modify stuff, it breaks. Like a big boy, OP is stepping up to that reality and taking care of it.

As to your last statement about signatures I don't even know what you mean so I will leave it at that. The bottom line is there are two types of Porsche owners - ones that modify, and ones that prefer to leave it stock.

I have never at any time knocked a guy who wants to keep his car stock, but I do absolutely demand the same courtesy is shown to those of us who like to modify our cars. This includes asking why the OP doesn't just "buy a more expensive car".

You're right - I was already down the route of modifying the car (so was already invested in the car to some extent). While the camshaft issue was extremely inconvenient, it would always have been in the back of my head - what if I could have gone just a little bit further. Especially since I'm having the motor pulled back out, sending the car to someone I trust and having one of the best engine builders available to work on it... The build Sam and his team have designed on this car will probably be one of the best cars I'll ever own.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:20 PM
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

That 991 turbo S on GT3 wheels looks nuts
agree x2
Old 06-06-2017, 04:58 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

It's not perfect to him. It is to many and too much for others. Looks like for D perfect will be 800+ to the wheels with virtually no lag and we promise to deliver!

Jeremy's 991.2TTS is one of my favorite cars ever! 212 sticker and it has quite a bit of mods done because he wants to. I can't wait till we get these 991.2's over 700hp+!

...That said, this 997 will eat any modified 991 (except form a dig obviously) including a By Design Stage 4 car unless it has had the engine and clutches upgraded. And the By Design Stage 4 is documented to be faster in the 1/2 mile than a Bugatti Veyron and 918 Spyder on the same day at Shift Sector in CA! Let alone many other cars that we pay lots for to enjoy the performance. Hes does not need it to pick up chicks lol. We are not trying to match or beat any specific car. Nor run 5mph faster as that is just a nice measurement. But to have an extremely fast, strong and reliable 900+hp car in his beautiful 997TT. This is nothing new guys. Though I am proud of my team and accomplishments I will not put us in the category of say RUF (just one example of many) but they have packages with prices that will make some guys head spin. Yet, make perfect sense to the lucky guy who goes for it. For all models and they are still doing 996, 997 and 991 cars.

We don't all need to agree or do the same thing. Just respect each others opinion and realize there is no wrong or right in this situation.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:28 AM
IMI A
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dguth
Thanks again everyone for the great feedback coming through. It certainly helps me evaluate differing opinions. It's unfortunate I'm in this position especially after dialing it in to the extent we already had built it to. I think I'm at that unique cross road. Take it a little bit further and have an amazing car I can drive daily which very few cars can touch or as many have pointed out, fix it and still have an amazing car to drive. It's not too many times in a persons life where you can get a rock solid engine build and enjoy the car for a long period of time. My goal is not to be the fastest and you probably won't find me at X event trying to post a win/record. I would like to track the car here at Mid Ohio at some point but for the most part its the satisfaction of knowing what the car can do, having some fun on back roads and blowing away the next Hellcat pulling up next to me. Lol. I clearly know the 991 PDKs are awesome but they are way out of my price range and I plan to keep this car for some time. Heck I'm still trying to figure out how to launch this thing properly. It's not easy especially with the light weight fly wheel. Something else in my opinion that we will change. Can't stand the flywheel chatter or the inconsistency in 1st gear launches. Anyway, I digress. Sam and his team have been great and delivered above and beyond every step of the way. I fully expect he and his team will deliver some amazing results with this build. I look forward to sharing the progress as we go!!!
Originally Posted by Dguth
It's more than just the top end or peak speed improvement but also looking for mid power band enhancements. To that extent we are also upgrading the turbos to maximize the 3.8 build. I think we are going with upgraded 68mm VTG GT2 turbos. Can't share all the secrets of the build yet but this thing should be rock solid across the entire RPM band...
Sounds awesome. Difficult to get 68mm GT2 VTGS running right without retardation for the sort of events I run. Look forward to seeing your results. You'll get good torque on that set up early in the rev range. Best start budgeting another $15000 for that reinforced gearbox

Quick Reply: New Porsche 997 Turbo Owner; Spun Camshaft: What would you do?