Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Porsche 997 Turbo Owner; Spun Camshaft: What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 04:14 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Sam,

Gotcha. When you do my quote Monday (we spoke Friday on the phone) make sure I can beat a stock TTS pretty handily, OK?

THAT IS THE GOAL - make it happen!

Adam
Old 06-03-2017, 04:19 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

Hey Adam I didn't realize that was you ha ha! Just make sure it's not a By Design 991

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 06-03-2017, 04:20 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks again everyone for the great feedback coming through. It certainly helps me evaluate differing opinions. It's unfortunate I'm in this position especially after dialing it in to the extent we already had built it to. I think I'm at that unique cross road. Take it a little bit further and have an amazing car I can drive daily which very few cars can touch or as many have pointed out, fix it and still have an amazing car to drive. It's not too many times in a persons life where you can get a rock solid engine build and enjoy the car for a long period of time. My goal is not to be the fastest and you probably won't find me at X event trying to post a win/record. I would like to track the car here at Mid Ohio at some point but for the most part its the satisfaction of knowing what the car can do, having some fun on back roads and blowing away the next Hellcat pulling up next to me. Lol. I clearly know the 991 PDKs are awesome but they are way out of my price range and I plan to keep this car for some time. Heck I'm still trying to figure out how to launch this thing properly. It's not easy especially with the light weight fly wheel. Something else in my opinion that we will change. Can't stand the flywheel chatter or the inconsistency in 1st gear launches. Anyway, I digress. Sam and his team have been great and delivered above and beyond every step of the way. I fully expect he and his team will deliver some amazing results with this build. I look forward to sharing the progress as we go!!!
Old 06-03-2017, 04:21 PM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

Have you done any gen 2 991 turbo S yet Sambo? Whats going on with their VTG turbos? Have you modded any of these yet?

Off topic I hear Porsche are just about to announce a 991.2 turbo SE in June. Carbon wings, bubble roof. 500 cars world wide and being offered to 918 owners first. Should be announced in next few weeks. A friend is getting one.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Catorce
Sam,

Gotcha. When you do my quote Monday (we spoke Friday on the phone) make sure I can beat a stock TTS pretty handily, OK?

THAT IS THE GOAL - make it happen!

Adam
Ugh, I'm including that in my requirements as well, right Sam?!?
Old 06-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Catorce
Banned

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hey Adam I didn't realize that was you ha ha! Just make sure it's not a By Design 991
What makes the 991 so much faster -displacement? Turbo size? Where would a 997 guy need to be to match / exceed a modded 991TTS?
Old 06-03-2017, 04:33 PM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Dguth
Thanks again everyone for the great feedback coming through. It certainly helps me evaluate differing opinions. It's unfortunate I'm in this position especially after dialing it in to the extent we already had built it to. I think I'm at that unique cross road. Take it a little bit further and have an amazing car I can drive daily which very few cars can touch or as many have pointed out, fix it and still have an amazing car to drive. It's not too many times in a persons life where you can get a rock solid engine build and enjoy the car for a long period of time. My goal is not to be the fastest and you probably won't find me at X event trying to post a win/record. I would like to track the car here at Mid Ohio at some point but for the most part its the satisfaction of knowing what the car can do, having some fun on back roads and blowing away the next Hellcat pulling up next to me. Lol. I clearly know the 991 PDKs are awesome but they are way out of my price range and I plan to keep this car for some time. Heck I'm still trying to figure out how to launch this thing properly. It's not easy especially with the light weight fly wheel. Something else in my opinion that we will change. Can't stand the flywheel chatter or the inconsistency in 1st gear launches. Anyway, I digress. Sam and his team have been great and delivered above and beyond every step of the way. I fully expect he and his team will deliver some amazing results with this build. I look forward to sharing the progress as we go!!!
I had the LWFW and ditched it after 10,000 miles. Noise was getting on my ****. There's knack to launching a manual 997 turbo. PSM off. You need to launch in 1st gear with 3200 rpm rising to 4000rpm just as you hit the biting point (very difficult) in non sport mode as the 4wd system is fully on in non sport. Through second gear you have to take your hand off the damn gear stick and then switch sport mode on so you get 10% extra power through the mid range third gear onwards. It causes me many 1st straight 4th gear. When you get it right you do this. Pretty sure i will dip below 3 secs on a good surface
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2017, 04:43 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IMI A
I had the LWFW and ditched it after 10,000 miles. Noise was getting on my ****. There's knack to launching a manual 997 turbo. PSM off. You need to launch in 1st gear with 3200 rpm rising to 4000rpm just as you hit the biting point (very difficult) in non sport mode as the 4wd system is fully on in non sport. Through second gear you have to take your hand off the damn gear stick and then switch sport mode on so you get 10% extra power through the mid range third gear onwards. It causes me many 1st straight 4th gear. When you get it right you do this. Pretty sure i will dip below 3 secs on a good surface
Good feedback, you've been at this for a while. I need to fly to London so you can give me some lessons. I feel like an idiot trying to launch this thing. Something else Sam and I are discussing. Even setting up a boost off the line feature would make me happy if I can just get a consistent feel to the launch. Once I can get off the line, I'm good from there. Shouldn't be so darn frustrating. Hell a Ford F-150 can beat me off the line right now if I screw it up!!
Old 06-03-2017, 04:45 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by IMI A
Have you done any gen 2 991 turbo S yet Sambo? Whats going on with their VTG turbos? Have you modded any of these yet?

Off topic I hear Porsche are just about to announce a 991.2 turbo SE in June. Carbon wings, bubble roof. 500 cars world wide and being offered to 918 owners first. Should be announced in next few weeks. A friend is getting one.
As a matter of fact we have. We spent lots of investment and six months to get these babies from TiAL! Haven't even announced it yet. But I want to show my dedication to this new platform. We have over 10 cars with full hardware ready for tuning and Cobb is working diligently to get flash tuning completed on this car. Going to be exciting. We have already picked up to 35 hp at the wheels and 60 pounds of torque by just making the hardware more efficient!

We know these VTG cars intimately. Porsche has changed in the VTG for the first time. Different metals, special materials used on the exhaust side of the heads which we learn from by the way, different compressor configuration and of course the cars new features.

I have not heard of this new model that sounds interesting. We have taken about 300 pounds out of a few of these cars and it's quite amazing. Porsche Motorsports/Porsche of Colorado Springs are going to be running a special By Design Stage 4 991TT at Pikes Peak this year with lightweight. It's going to be fun! And they needed nothing further than our accomplishments and reputation to press on with this project by the way. They chose us and we are flattered. A lot is happening in Colorado and this next month. There will be lots of pictures and exciting news coming up!

Old 06-03-2017, 04:48 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks Daniel! If you feel comfortable on your decision standpoint and be confident!

Adam, yeah the 991 advancement is all about volumetric efficiency. Launching makes it a world beater. But we can get that type of output from a built 3.8 with special specifications. If we don't go to that level with yours we can still do pretty darn well and build you a one 65 mph car keeping it safe on the stock engine. Again the speed just to kind of measure the type of acceleration you will enjoy. You'll be hearing from me Monday and we will see what fits best for you.

By the way readers I just thought of this and decided to add to it. I've had the pleasure of doing two very rare 997.2 cars with Stage 4. (one is black on Bordeaux and it's for sale) They will get taken off the line by a PDK but what a fun car and what awesome power delivery!

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 06-03-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:17 PM
Catorce
Banned

Thanks Sam.

Just to be transparent to thread readers, I was in a similar situation to Dguth except perhaps not quite as bad. My Left turbo VTG actuator rod seized, then the collar piece on the turbo failed so essentially my car is a one-lunger right now. I viewed this as an opportunity to upgrade rather than cry about it, and if I'm gonna drop the turbos I'm upgrading.

After a bunch of research and based on his reputation for excellent work, I decided to give Sam a try rather than go with a "one size fits all" package. The guy knows his stuff.

Stay tuned for more.

OP: I know you are in good hands with Sam and you have the right attitude.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:55 PM
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
looks pretty good wingless i must say
Old 06-03-2017, 07:05 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I know I was thinking the same thing! New project idea for sure. You should see in person it's so mean and wide looking! We also did RS wheels and full bolt ons. We also came up with a slightly different design on the Kline exhaust system to accommodate the difference in tone the new cars produce.

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 06-03-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:06 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Catorce
Thanks Sam.

Just to be transparent to thread readers, I was in a similar situation to Dguth except perhaps not quite as bad. My Left turbo VTG actuator rod seized, then the collar piece on the turbo failed so essentially my car is a one-lunger right now. I viewed this as an opportunity to upgrade rather than cry about it, and if I'm gonna drop the turbos I'm upgrading.

After a bunch of research and based on his reputation for excellent work, I decided to give Sam a try rather than go with a "one size fits all" package. The guy knows his stuff.

Stay tuned for more.

OP: I know you are in good hands with Sam and you have the right attitude.
Cat, sorry to hear about your blown Turbo. Sounds like your heading down a good path. Look forward to hearing how yours turns out as well.

Best regards,
Daniel
Old 06-03-2017, 08:30 PM
Catorce
Banned

Likewise Daniel!

Quick Reply: New Porsche 997 Turbo Owner; Spun Camshaft: What would you do?