Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Porsche 997 Turbo Owner; Spun Camshaft: What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 05:34 PM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

Have a look what Rix on 6speedonline has recently done with John Bray. If you go down the build route you're wasting your money unless you do something similar to what he's done in my opinion. No point having that lovely built engine with forged internals without the rest of the goodies (Xonas etc). You then need to think about gearbox rebuild, stronger drive shafts, syvecs etc and it all starts adding up.

The set up you have is the sweet spot and I'm now on 30,000 trouble free miles on a similar set up. Any more and you're into serious money which is fine but no point unless you're going the whole way buddy.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:38 PM
IMI A
Banned

Originally Posted by 786
is a spun camshaft a relatively rare occurrence? ive never heard of this. are any preventative measures available?
You can pin the cams. Seems to be more of an issue on your side of the pond. Not heard of anyone so far in the UK with the same issue but far less owners here I suppose and certainly not that many owners on enthusiasts on forums like in the States. US modded car market is miles ahead of us here in the UK where it feels like we are still in medieval times lol
Old 06-01-2017, 06:59 PM
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

lol, that's funny. when I had my Supras you guys seemed to have some decent modded metal over there. i've heard the R32/33/34 GT-R scene over there is good as well.

anyway, thanks ill look into "pinning" the cams as im also a preventative measure/hypochondriac.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:06 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Pretty sure pinning the cams is basically as expensive as fixing a spun camshaft...I mean, if you have your engine pulled apart completely already for another reason I guess it could be a preventative move while you're in there but otherwise you might as well just wait for it to happen since it's far from an inevitability.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:08 PM
IMI A
Banned

May just be most Porsche owners here more conservative than GTR and Supra guys. Its growing though for sure on the Porsche scene.

Litchfield here have the GTR modding market cornered and they really know their stuff. I've been to their workshops and their facilities are very impressive. They've just released their own new GTR

Old 06-01-2017, 07:08 PM
IMI A
Banned

May just be most Porsche owners here more conservative than GTR and Supra guys. Its growing though for sure on the Porsche scene.

Litchfield here have the GTR modding market cornered and they really know their stuff. I've been to their workshops and their facilities are very impressive. They've just released their own new GTR

Old 06-01-2017, 08:59 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by IMI A
Have a look what Rix on 6speedonline has recently done with John Bray. If you go down the build route you're wasting your money unless you do something similar to what he's done in my opinion. No point having that lovely built engine with forged internals without the rest of the goodies (Xonas etc). You then need to think about gearbox rebuild, stronger drive shafts, syvecs etc and it all starts adding up.

The set up you have is the sweet spot and I'm now on 30,000 trouble free miles on a similar set up. Any more and you're into serious money which is fine but no point unless you're going the whole way buddy.
I just read Rix's thread on 6speed. My goals won't be to go that far. I would be happy at 750 whp and 750 wtq bringing it close to 900 at the crank. Still within tolerance of what the stock transmission should be able to handle. I will keep the turbos I have on it, since I just put on upgraded 65mm VTG TIAL turbos. With a reinforced metzger engine upgraded to a 3.8, should be able to handle this with no problem with room to spare if I ever desired to go bigger in the future. The bigger benefit I'm looking for is not just the peak power but how it performs across the rpm band. I think the 3.6 is pretty laggy/weak from 2,500 rpm to 3,200, we should be able to push more torque into the lower rpm and tune the power to come on much stronger and smoother while raising the rpm limit. This should make it a lot more fun to drive in daily situations.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:58 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Given that it appears that you have cash to burn why not just buy a used 991 turbo s?
Old 06-01-2017, 11:01 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bondjockey
Given that it appears that you have cash to burn why not just buy a used 991 turbo s?
Maybe because he doesn't want a fat pig like the 991TTS, and his car, when finished, will leave the 991TTS in dust? Maybe he likes the thrill of the build?

We modders are a special group. I have VERY few stock cars. They are just boring.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:14 AM
IMI A
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dguth
I just read Rix's thread on 6speed. My goals won't be to go that far. I would be happy at 750 whp and 750 wtq bringing it close to 900 at the crank. Still within tolerance of what the stock transmission should be able to handle. I will keep the turbos I have on it, since I just put on upgraded 65mm VTG TIAL turbos. With a reinforced metzger engine upgraded to a 3.8, should be able to handle this with no problem with room to spare if I ever desired to go bigger in the future. The bigger benefit I'm looking for is not just the peak power but how it performs across the rpm band. I think the 3.6 is pretty laggy/weak from 2,500 rpm to 3,200, we should be able to push more torque into the lower rpm and tune the power to come on much stronger and smoother while raising the rpm limit. This should make it a lot more fun to drive in daily situations.

You seem to have made you mind up and thats fine. I have friend here with exactly the same 3.8 built set up and 66mm VTGS from a very well known and respected German tuner. He's no quicker than my set up (anywhere in the RR) if anything maybe even a tad slower above 150mph as his hybrid 66mm VTGS are based on smaller 997.1 turbos not GT2 VTGS. just so you know the set up you want is no different to us guys on stock engines and I have 30,000 very hard miles under my belt on GT2 VTG with 8 events a year for last 3 years (mix of top speed events over 1.5 miles and fast GT circuits with 165mph straight). As you say you can move to better turbos later. Good luck!
Old 06-02-2017, 02:24 AM
IMI A
Banned

OP you know what. Take a cheap flight to London and I will organise for you to drive both set ups and then make your mind up - I'd say its definitely worth it -

PS. I'm going to go 3.8 at some stage but it will be with Xonas like Rix
Old 06-02-2017, 08:42 AM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
Maybe because he doesn't want a fat pig like the 991TTS, and his car, when finished, will leave the 991TTS in dust? Maybe he likes the thrill of the build?

We modders are a special group. I have VERY few stock cars. They are just boring.
What he is planning to do to his car (3.8 build, keep his 65 turbos) will not leave a 991 TTS in the dust. In fact, for 99% of the driving he will probably do he won't notice any difference between his modded car and a 997.1 TT with a good exhaust and tune. To each his own however, it's his money.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

OP you know what. Take a cheap flight to London and I will organise for you to drive both set ups and then make your mind up - I'd say its definitely worth it -
kind offer, OP should take him up on it.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:07 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by bondjockey
What he is planning to do to his car (3.8 build, keep his 65 turbos) will not leave a 991 TTS in the dust. In fact, for 99% of the driving he will probably do he won't notice any difference between his modded car and a 997.1 TT with a good exhaust and tune. To each his own however, it's his money.

I find this hard to believe. I had custom tune and good exhaust and my current setup on 93 pump gas blows it away. Not sure how you can say moving to almost 900 horsepower and torque is going to fill like a basic 997.1 with exhaust and good tune.

Still trying to make my mind up so appreciate everyone's honest feedback and the invite to London to compare! My current travel schedule is pretty booked right now for the summer. Now I'm starting to second guess my current turbo setup. Ugh!
Old 06-02-2017, 12:43 PM
IMI A
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dguth
I find this hard to believe. I had custom tune and good exhaust and my current setup on 93 pump gas blows it away. Not sure how you can say moving to almost 900 horsepower and torque is going to fill like a basic 997.1 with exhaust and good tune.

Still trying to make my mind up so appreciate everyone's honest feedback and the invite to London to compare! My current travel schedule is pretty booked right now for the summer. Now I'm starting to second guess my current turbo setup. Ugh!
You're more than welcome re London anytime and that 900bhp figure is over optimistic for VTGS unless you're also running rocket fuel with E85, meth etc The stock gearbox is good for 750ft lbs torque . with meth, E85 etc etc you're moving away from a plug and play car. I'm all for you doing it but don't think 65mm will get you anywhere near 900hp. Even with Xonas you need meth/water injection and race fuel to run them at 1.65 bar to get them into efficiency zone. The current set up you have is the sweet spot for VTGS. So if thats enough just pin the cams and build the engine later when you want more power. You can send me 10% of the money I just saved you to London

Quick Reply: New Porsche 997 Turbo Owner; Spun Camshaft: What would you do?