Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Leather Cleaner w/UV Protection- no Shine

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:55 PM
Duckstu
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most modern car leather is coated with urethane for protection from moisture and UV. (That's why most newer cars only vaguely smell like leather, if at all,... unlike in the early '90's and before).

Porsche does offer un-coated leather as an option,... they call it "Natural Leather". These are the only cars you would want to clean with a leather cleaner and then condition. They also have a MUCH stronger leather smell.

My 997 Turbo (standard with full leather interior) doesn't smell like leather AT ALL. Not even the tiniest little bit.

If you don't have the "Natural Leather" option,.. DO NOT CONDITION IT. That will only attract grit. Then the grit will wear through the urethane,.. and cause the leather to become exposed in places. Then those areas will go bad, crack etc.

With the standard or full leather interiors,.. just wipe them with a slightly damp cloth. Don't put any products on it, ever.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:12 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Drop a tablespoon of water onto your seat, my bet is that it eventually soaks into the leather.
protected leather will not be penetrated by water. it will go in the perforations obviously but you don't want that to happen. Signs of damage to our leather is when you start seeing a dimple around the perforation. This means you added water, it seeped underneath and will create a circle type defect around the perforation. that is why they recommend cleaning with a damp cloth. Take a close look next time.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:50 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Leatherique

Edit: The application process is first apply the oil. Let it bake a few hours in the hot sun (suggested by another RL poster elsewhere). This brings the dirt in the leather to the surface. Then wipe clean with the second bottle, Prestine Clean. The oil stays deep in the leather.

Sounds counter intuitive if you think should be clean first, then apply oil.
Been using this product for about 10 years and it just makes the leather like new. Definitely let it bake with the windows up.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:14 PM
Poppahay
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best leather cleaner I've used came with my Range Rover. I use it on all leather surfaces.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:33 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

For a cleaner, Leather Masters works very well. For conditioning, I personally use a coating now, which is CQuartz leather. Swissvax also makes an amazing conditioner which I still use on occasion.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:42 PM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Since posting this thread, I have gotten quite the education in leather and leather care. So I tried testing a couple of products. As I live in Florida, I did want something with UV protection.

Leather- My dealer had previously recommended Lexol cleaner and conditioner so I went that route before all of the recommendations for other products came in and I received an education in coated leather. Regardless of whether I need a conditioner in the future, I had already applied the product. What I did want was UV protection. I contacted Lexol and they recommended their 69430 product which cleans, conditions and has UV protection. It comes in wipes which may offend a purist but I am fine with them. This product also seems to be quite new and there aren't any reviews that I could find. My first impression is that it seems to have worked well. Everything looks great. I did also try Optimum Leather Protectant Plus (OLPP) and this seems to work well with a similar outcome. Lastly, I tried the Meguiar's Gold Class Cleaner & Conditioner (which I had on the shelf from previous use) and this was definitely too shiny. Obviously, I tested all of these in as inconspicuous places as I could find. I ultimately used the Lexol for the majority of the leather though I believe OLPP could have worked as well.

Plastic/Vinyl- I tried both the nextsett Cockpit Premium (CP) and 303 Automotive UV. I did not try either on any leather though others have reported doing so because I wanted a more specialized product. More on this below. In any event, the CP seems to be a great cleaner and worked well at removing dirt and any scuffs. But my understanding through researching the product is that it did not have the UV protection that 303 did. The reported issue with 303 was that is was not as "matte" as some folks wanted. I did not see a difference and therefore went with the 303 and was satisfied with the outcome. I have read that certain products can affect rubber over time and need to research this more.

So one interesting issue was that I must have inadvertently hit the plastic/vinyl side of the center console with one of the leather products (wish I knew which) and it left an obvious film that I had to remove. I am guessing it was the Lexol 69430. It came right off with the CP but at first I thought something had compromised the plastic.

I think going forward, I will use either the 69430 or OLPP on Leather and the 303 on the plastic (provided there are no long term detrimental effects from doing so). Again, protection from the sun was a key consideration in my choices. I do also have a windshield sun shield but only use it when the car is exposed for an extended period of time while I am away. The car is always garaged when I am home. It is a cabriolet.

As an aside, I am not recommending anything and the jury is still out until I see the result again when I return home this weekend. So please do not act on anything I have written here. I greatly appreciate all of the input and wanted to close the loop from my end on what I finally decided to try and the initial results.

Best,

G.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:28 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Leatherique

Edit: The application process is first apply the oil. Let it bake a few hours in the hot sun (suggested by another RL poster elsewhere). This brings the dirt in the leather to the surface. Then wipe clean with the second bottle, Prestine Clean. The oil stays deep in the leather.

Sounds counter intuitive if you think should be clean first, then apply oil.
Originally Posted by dave292
Been using this product for about 10 years and it just makes the leather like new. Definitely let it bake with the windows up.
tried this, didn't notice a difference, also let it bake on a 90 degree hot day outside and cleaned it up the next day. I wasn't impressed.

Originally Posted by cstyles
1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium is fantastic, I use it on my full leather interior - leaves a matte finish that makes the leather look new, and has a nice smell to it. My 2nd choice is 303 Aerospace Protectant, another great product with matte finish and UV protection.

You do not need to condition coated leather, which our cars have. Simply wipe clean and finish off with your product of choice.
you use 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium on the leather? I thought this is just for trim?

Anyone else use something specific for the top of the dash? I don't believe it's leather, feels like a soft plastic
Old 05-31-2017, 05:27 PM
4LUX
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I use these products and it makes that car smell like new leather.

Originally Posted by RDS928S
http://gliptone.com/retail/interior-...ner-17-oz.html

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...8H7BoCypjw_wcB

These are the two best products. Both contain a compound that produces the smell of new leather for a long period of time.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:40 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 684 Likes on 377 Posts

Pinnacle. Love it. Used it for years.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:20 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod

you use 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium on the leather? I thought this is just for trim?

Anyone else use something specific for the top of the dash? I don't believe it's leather, feels like a soft plastic
Yes sir, and it is a perfect finish. Give it a shot - this is coated leather after all, nothing you put on there should cause any problems provided it's not a harsh chemical that could interact with the coating. I am sure you'll be impressed.

I have yet to find a better finish product than the 1Z CP for that clean, matte 'factory original' look - I use it on every leather and plastic surface in the car. Spray a light amount on to a MF cloth, then wipe down the surface.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:20 AM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

went to my leather guy and he used a couple drops of dawn mixed with warm water placed in a bucket and a microfiber. you can't believe how much dirt comes off with just that...

then he took a lighter and went over the stitches to get it to tighten up and clean off the frays.

he said that is all that is needed and he's been doing porsche's for 20 years. he said you will always have to the worn seats and he dyed mine. he said if we can do it early enough helps. he also said eventually the creases can't be prevented and will have to be cut out and sewn in.

thanks,
sid
Old 06-03-2017, 06:03 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

A damp cloth and wipe away. I use nothing afterwards. I don't "nourish" dead leather. I laugh and shake my head every time I hear about "nourishment" of the protected leather.

Last edited by atcbi5; 06-03-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Originally Posted by geoorlando
Since posting this thread, I have gotten quite the education in leather and leather care. So I tried testing a couple of products. As I live in Florida, I did want something with UV protection.

Leather- My dealer had previously recommended Lexol cleaner and conditioner so I went that route before all of the recommendations for other products came in and I received an education in coated leather. Regardless of whether I need a conditioner in the future, I had already applied the product. What I did want was UV protection. I contacted Lexol and they recommended their 69430 product which cleans, conditions and has UV protection. It comes in wipes which may offend a purist but I am fine with them. This product also seems to be quite new and there aren't any reviews that I could find. My first impression is that it seems to have worked well. Everything looks great. I did also try Optimum Leather Protectant Plus (OLPP) and this seems to work well with a similar outcome. Lastly, I tried the Meguiar's Gold Class Cleaner & Conditioner (which I had on the shelf from previous use) and this was definitely too shiny. Obviously, I tested all of these in as inconspicuous places as I could find. I ultimately used the Lexol for the majority of the leather though I believe OLPP could have worked as well.

Plastic/Vinyl- I tried both the nextsett Cockpit Premium (CP) and 303 Automotive UV. I did not try either on any leather though others have reported doing so because I wanted a more specialized product. More on this below. In any event, the CP seems to be a great cleaner and worked well at removing dirt and any scuffs. But my understanding through researching the product is that it did not have the UV protection that 303 did. The reported issue with 303 was that is was not as "matte" as some folks wanted. I did not see a difference and therefore went with the 303 and was satisfied with the outcome. I have read that certain products can affect rubber over time and need to research this more.

So one interesting issue was that I must have inadvertently hit the plastic/vinyl side of the center console with one of the leather products (wish I knew which) and it left an obvious film that I had to remove. I am guessing it was the Lexol 69430. It came right off with the CP but at first I thought something had compromised the plastic.

I think going forward, I will use either the 69430 or OLPP on Leather and the 303 on the plastic (provided there are no long term detrimental effects from doing so). Again, protection from the sun was a key consideration in my choices. I do also have a windshield sun shield but only use it when the car is exposed for an extended period of time while I am away. The car is always garaged when I am home. It is a cabriolet.

As an aside, I am not recommending anything and the jury is still out until I see the result again when I return home this weekend. So please do not act on anything I have written here. I greatly appreciate all of the input and wanted to close the loop from my end on what I finally decided to try and the initial results.

Best,

G.
I've been a fan of lexoll, it smells great and seems to have a matte finish. But don't like wipes, too much trash. I'm disappointed in the Nextzett interior cleaner.

Originally Posted by cstyles
Yes sir, and it is a perfect finish. Give it a shot - this is coated leather after all, nothing you put on there should cause any problems provided it's not a harsh chemical that could interact with the coating. I am sure you'll be impressed.

I have yet to find a better finish product than the 1Z CP for that clean, matte 'factory original' look - I use it on every leather and plastic surface in the car. Spray a light amount on to a MF cloth, then wipe down the surface.
Is this what you used? I didn't see einzett. I bought this for the trim, it smells awful, like chemicals. Not sure how anyone would want this inside their car.

Anyone have recommendations for the exterior black rubber? I need a protectant. Every time I use something on it, black comes off so I stop immediately as I feel like the finish is getting taken off.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:35 AM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Einzett became Nextzett -- same stuff. I like (but don't love) the smell and more importantly love the ultra-matte finish this product leaves. It is a good mild cleaner as well.

For exterior rubber, what are you exactly referring to on the 911? For the door seals, etc., I use Gummi-flege. For exterior trim, the first thing you need to do is clean the rubber well. The black coming off of your trim might be dirt, oxidation, blooming, etc. Use a toothbrush plus cleaner to get it off. Sonax has Restorer Gel which is fine. I like Mothers Back to Black heavy duty cleaner. To dress after, you can use 303 (great UV but poor durability), Griots, etc. There are no shortage of short-term dressings. For longer term think about something like Wolfgang trim sealant.

Here are a bunch of products... http://www.autogeek.net/rubbervinyl.html
Old 06-12-2017, 11:46 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Quick Reply: Best Leather Cleaner w/UV Protection- no Shine