Best Leather Cleaner w/UV Protection- no Shine

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 11:29 AM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Best Leather Cleaner w/UV Protection- no Shine

Greetings,

I'd appreciate any recommendations on an interior leather cleaner/conditioner that will protect against UV but not leave a tacky feeling or impart a shine.

I've used the Lexol Cleaner & Conditioner but I don't believe it protects against UV. I have also used the Meguiar's Rich letter which does protect against UV but leaves a shine on the leather.

Thanks,

G.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:29 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium is fantastic, I use it on my full leather interior - leaves a matte finish that makes the leather look new, and has a nice smell to it. My 2nd choice is 303 Aerospace Protectant, another great product with matte finish and UV protection.

You do not need to condition coated leather, which our cars have. Simply wipe clean and finish off with your product of choice.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:05 PM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

Thanks, cstyles! Greatly appreciate the comprehensive response! I didn't realize that the leather does not need conditioning.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:19 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on not needing to condition coated leather, but this can be a controversial/touchy subject to some. I use the 1Z/Nexzett cockpit product for most interior surfaces in my cars. For leather, I keep it clean (wipe down with a damp towel weekly) and use Optimum Protectant Plus, which is a great non-greasy leather protectant that is loaded with UV protection.

303 is a touch shinier than I like, but it is a great product.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:20 PM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the response, TypeRX. I have gotten quite the education on cleaning and conditioning (or not!) the coated leather. I am still not sure what to make of the need to condition the leather. The dealer in Orlando recommended Lexol cleaner and conditioner. And of course Porsche sells their own brand of conditioner which seems a bit odd if the leather doesn't need to be conditioned in the first place- unless this is for older vehicles w/o coated leather.

I did come across the OPP product when doing some research before posting my question. It seems to get great write-ups.

Best,

G.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Leatherique

Edit: The application process is first apply the oil. Let it bake a few hours in the hot sun (suggested by another RL poster elsewhere). This brings the dirt in the leather to the surface. Then wipe clean with the second bottle, Prestine Clean. The oil stays deep in the leather.

Sounds counter intuitive if you think should be clean first, then apply oil.

Last edited by Terry Adams; 05-23-2017 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Application
Old 05-22-2017, 02:58 PM
Southpaw
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've tried just about everything and I also prefer the matte look.

I use Ammo interior cleaner (safe for leather) and Chemical Guys leather cleaner. Both leave a nice, brand new, matte feel.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:31 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I recently did some searching and then ordered Leatherique. Haven't had time to use it yet but plan to soon. Need to refresh my interior. Can't stand anything that is shiny with BS coatings. Glad to hear Terry recommends it.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:05 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium is fantastic, I use it on my full leather interior - leaves a matte finish that makes the leather look new, and has a nice smell to it. My 2nd choice is 303 Aerospace Protectant, another great product with matte finish and UV protection.

You do not need to condition coated leather, which our cars have. Simply wipe clean and finish off with your product of choice.
Question: What are you defining as "treated leather"? Is that the fact that it is dyed or is there some other process involved that seals the leather? I think that dyed leather is still an absorbent; and, if so would benefit from a leather treatment such as Leatherique.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:13 AM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 307 Posts

http://gliptone.com/retail/interior-...ner-17-oz.html

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...8H7BoCypjw_wcB

These are the two best products. Both contain a compound that produces the smell of new leather for a long period of time.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:19 PM
Milzie
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whether the leather needs to be conditioned or not is debatable, but I find conditioner really helps on the areas that get cracking like the side bolsters. They look better with conditioner as opposed to just dressing.

I use any quality cleaner/conditioner. Currently have a bottle of Autoglym that I am using up. Smells nice, works well.

Meguiars, Adams, Chemical Guys, Griots, Ammo, etc. Just get a bottle and go for it.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:46 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Leatherique

Edit: The application process is first apply the oil. Let it bake a few hours in the hot sun (suggested by another RL poster elsewhere). This brings the dirt in the leather to the surface. Then wipe clean with the second bottle, Prestine Clean. The oil stays deep in the leather.

Sounds counter intuitive if you think should be clean first, then apply oil.
Last night I made a wish and it came thru.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:54 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Again and for the last time, NOTHING water based or oil based PENETRATES top coated leather.

Last edited by atcbi5; 05-26-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:32 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Drop a tablespoon of water onto your seat, my bet is that it eventually soaks into the leather.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:46 PM
sunset gun
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding of modern automobile leather is that the dyeing process/tanning process, while much advanced from, say, forty years ago, is just that- advanced, not totally different than ages ago, at least for volume production like car seats. The big difference is the final step, in which a "plastic" or "plasticized" coating is applied. Akin to polyurethane finishes on kitchen cabinets. Whatever this coating is, and whatever its proper name is, it is durable, and does protect the leather better, and for a longer time, than its "organic" predecessors. Because it is such an effective synthetic "plastic" sealant, old-style conditioners are just going to lay on the surface, until wiped off by clothing.

Quick Reply: Best Leather Cleaner w/UV Protection- no Shine