New 997.2 Turbo PDK owner looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:37 AM
Mark Turchyn
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 997.2 Turbo PDK owner looking for advice

hello forum,

New to the porsche family. Curious what direction to go with the car. Bone stock '13 with 15k miles on it.

Exhaust? Tuning? I live in So Cal so Cobb and BBI are very local to me. I would love for the car to end up with a solid build around 600whp.

Any advice on what to do and not to do would be appreciated.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:40 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Since you're in SoCal be sure that all you plan to do will still pass emissions or is easily reversible.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:45 AM
Mark Turchyn
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Since you're in SoCal be sure that all you plan to do will still pass emissions or is easily reversible.
Good point. Emissions is not really to big of a concern, as long as I can either swap tunes, or swap parts around. I don't plan on ever DD'ing the car, just want to build on an already amazing platform to crush 60 foot times from red light to red light.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:50 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

The car stock is already faster than just about any stock car you'll come across other than a super-exotic costing several times more than your Turbo.

The engine is well mannered, efficient, clean burning, and with proper servicing can deliver if you want hundreds of thousands of miles of trouble free service.

Thus my recommendation is to leave it stock and find some other use for the money you would spend on the mod's and then the increased servicing costs going forward.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:27 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,555 Likes on 973 Posts

I second that. Enjoy it in stock form for a while, then decide what you want to change (if anything).
Old 05-19-2017, 12:55 PM
Mark Turchyn
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Macster
The car stock is already faster than just about any stock car you'll come across other than a super-exotic costing several times more than your Turbo.

The engine is well mannered, efficient, clean burning, and with proper servicing can deliver if you want hundreds of thousands of miles of trouble free service.

Thus my recommendation is to leave it stock and find some other use for the money you would spend on the mod's and then the increased servicing costs going forward.
Originally Posted by Dennis C
I second that. Enjoy it in stock form for a while, then decide what you want to change (if anything).
While I love the stock/classic look & sound, every car I've owned always has me looking for more. As well, there are always a few finishing touches that can be added to personalize the car.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:20 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You should reach out to longboarder (he is on 6speed, probably rennlist as well). He has a 997.2TT PDK with mods that appear to retain great reliability while making it ridiculously fast. He is in OC as well and I am sure can advise you on what he has learned with regards to specific mods, shops, etc.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:28 PM
khiroshima
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on your car, I have virtually the same one! I can only offer the path that I have already taken, I am in NorCal, so I have the same emissions issue, but with great access to a slight different tuner. My tuner of choice is Sharkwerks in Fremont. This is what I (they) have done:

Sharkwerks, post cat exhaust
GIAC tune
7mm and 15mm spacers

I am tempted to lower it, but I drive it pretty frequently and have been enjoying, not scraping Best part is I should have no SMOG issues and all the mods are quite reversible if ever needed. I have been quite happy, hope this help! KH
Old 05-19-2017, 02:31 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,000 Likes on 602 Posts

Congrats Mark you got yourself one of the last ones! I used to live in HB then SB before moving to LA. Miss it.

Feel free to reach out if I can help you with anything. Although I respect everyone's personal views on car upgrades...We are gearheads and you should be able to personalize/upgrade reliably. The 997.2 can wake up quite nicely and still even run a clean exhaust.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 05-19-2017, 03:27 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 344 Likes on 237 Posts

Mark,

We have made quite a few 997.2TT owners very happy with our exhaust and tune. Feel free to contact us with any questions. We have a few exhaust and tip options for different sound goals. An exhaust upgrade and tune on the 997.2TT is really nice!

John
Old 05-20-2017, 04:47 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Keep it stock and enjoy the ride "as is".
Old 05-21-2017, 01:08 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 875 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Turchyn
While I love the stock/classic look & sound, every car I've owned always has me looking for more. As well, there are always a few finishing touches that can be added to personalize the car.
If I were to personalize a Porsche Turbo S and "make it my own", I'd do exactly what I did to mine... which was to buy floor mats from Lloyds and have a same color as mat TURBO S imprinted on it.

YES!
Old 05-23-2017, 12:38 AM
changster123
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 65 Posts

I had 2 different aftermarket exhausts on my car, but in the end my favorite was Speedtech downpipes (no cats) + stock catback. It's quiet but with a deeper grumble, and when you go WOT it makes a massive air noise. It's freakin awesome. I know all all about loud exhausts (I also have a 1500whp+ GTR) and for this car my goal was to make it fast but reduce the drone/noise. I also love the look of the stock tips as the shape fits the holes of the rear bumper exits. Most exhausts you buy are circular tips. I believe only Europipe can re-use stock tips... and they can modify the stock tips so that the hole as as big as the rest of the exhaust.

The Speedtech downpipes were a perfect fit btw.

I also have a Cobb custom tune.

I run low 6's 100-200kph (about mid to high 6's 60-130mph). The car is rock solid and dead consistent.

I'm a big believer in TPC Racing for suspension mods. I have their wide track kit + TPC sways + DSC module. If you don't lower the car you do not need sway bar end links. I think these were by far the best mods for the car... better than power mods. I would also put a good set of tires on there like Cup 2's or RE71R's or AD08R's. For me I've tracked the car over 20 days on this setup and know the car inside and out. I'm ready to move on so I've ordered full Tractive coilovers, rear subframe bushings for the car. Can't wait!

Syvecs also just came out with their standalone for the 997.2. If someone makes a good and tested fuel system for this car (port injection so I can run 12 injectors) I will buy the Syvecs so I can run flex fuel FBO E85. I'll bet this car would be SO SO fun on flex fuel FBO E85. The response from the turbos would be insane. A fast response mid-to-high 5 second car (100-200kph or 60-130mph) would be such a sick car.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:36 PM
a54f100
1st Gear

I own a modified 997.2 650 whp built originally at Vivid racing and actually DD it. Most of the links are still up on their site for reference.

Pros - I love the lift kit due to the car being so low especially with the carbon fiber lip. The sleeper exhaust (full bypass straight out the header collector) is one of the most awesome sounding you can get and it's remote so you can shut it down when you want to just cruise through your regular exhaust. The power is intoxicating when you want to hammer it. I had a stock turbo prior which was very quick but not as visceral as the tune and exhaust added together. I love the GT2RS seats. I thought they might not be comfortable but they are. Only tricky part is getting out of the car since you have to elevate over the bolsters. Again I daily drive the beast and love it. It doesn't act up in traffic and hitting a green light with nobody in your way on PCH is always a blast (even if I look like an *** to the guy in a Honda

next to me).

Cons - being so low is tricky on roadways where you don't have time to hit the lift. Can get expensive quick if it messes up the lip. I plan to send the KWv3's back to KW for rebuilding as I bottom out or get coil bind on certain large bumps. I think the high speed rebound isn't functioning as intended. On the track on a hot day using the tune in full sport plus it can get a little hot. I'd like the functionality to dial it back a bit when needed so the access port would probably solve that. Can use a backseat with a roll cage but honestly most of us don't use the backseats anyways.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:51 AM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Keep it stock. It's fun and fast enough.

That is until you want to make it the quickest street car on the planet for minimal $ and stock-like reliability then do this:

Quick Reply: New 997.2 Turbo PDK owner looking for advice