Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the craziest reaction you've seen from another driver in your 911 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 05:22 PM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bskyoon
I put my left turn signal on with 2-3 car lengths in front of the car in that left lane. In typical Florida fashion the driver speeds up so I can't get in but I'm already half committed so she has to go a little hard on her brakes to prevent hitting me. Road rages to the right lane, pulls beside me and I could hear through my closed windows..."NO ONE CARES THAT YOU DRIVE A F#@$%# PORSCHE!"

She clearly did
I see this all the time in Germany (though it's illegal here). It always amazes me.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:15 PM
Procyon
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only had my 997TT for a couple of months, but so far I've had one BMW want to drag me at a light (guy was really nice when we chatted at the next light :-)

In the past two weeks, I've had two people ask "Is it a Ferrari?" - I guess any "sporty" car that's red is a Ferrari to the layman...
Old 05-18-2017, 12:23 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I only own a lowly 993 C4S, but I've had a version of this happen to me TWICE in my 12 years of ownership. I should also preface that I live in L.A., the capital of ditzy blondes. Both times it went something like this:

Her: What kind of car is that?

Me: It's a 911.

Her: (flabbergasted) Wait....are you serious???

Yes: Uhhh....yes.....?

Her: You've gotta be joking me....

Me: Uhh, no, Porsche 911.....

Her: (annoyed and shocked) Why would ANYONE name a car after the 9/11 terrorist attacks???

Good times here in L.A. Gotta love the blondes.

And again, a version of this has happened to me now TWICE.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:41 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Its normally just a thumbs up or nice car.

You do get the ppl who want to race, which isnt a problem its mostly cars ill smoke so its not worth the risk. Needs to be fair lol.....If im chancing a ticket that other car better be nice
Old 05-18-2017, 01:51 PM
Nigel997
AutoX

I pulled into my driveway at home just a couple nights ago, and there were Jehovas witnesses canvasing the neighborhood. They were at the house next door. I pulled into the garage and could see them walk to my driveway. I thought "great, another sales pitch". Nope, they came up and said "I'm not going to bother you, but your car is absolutely beautiful", and walked off.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:53 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

Some tool in a JEEP said

"F*** you and your Porsche." After I gave him a quick honk because he was drifting into my lane.

Boston, MA
Old 05-18-2017, 02:31 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I will say though I've had far more positive experiences than not, but of course the negative ones stand out the most. I'm curious what kind of experience you'd have in a 458 or something a little more flashy.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:27 PM
cakM3
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I will say that there are "haters" out there who have nothing better to do than to hate on people who own nice cars. Too bad but there are other enthusiasts or people who appreciate nice cars who will complement you on yours. I get a lot of complements from car owners and whenever I talk to other owners, no matter what cars they drive, I always try to say something positive to them. I have not had any bad experiences but that does not mean there isn't someone out there who will give me the single finger salute or say bad things to me just because I choose to take out my M3 or TT for a fun drive...
Old 05-19-2017, 12:54 AM
wallyworld925
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Not crazy, but definitely memorable -

I was driving next to a beautiful brunette in a brand new BMW (looked to be in her late 30's/early 40's). As she drives past, I see her mouth the words "that is a gorgeous car". As I try to catch up and make eye contact, she turns off and is gone. Sigh.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:30 AM
mflanagan
Rennlist Member

Was that in San Jose?? I have a white 09 also and had the exact experience! Gorgeous brunette in a newer BMW on 85 near 880.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:36 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I've had the usual Subarus with fart can mufflers trying to race me, and the questions when filling up wtih gas like: How fast have you been in that thing? How much did that car cost?

The most annoying behavior from other drivers comes when I'm cruising in the middle lane on the highway, within 5 mph of the speed limit. I will typically start closing on a car ahead of me that is traveling slower than the posted speed. As I move into the left lane to pass, the other car begins to accelerate. I've had some of them speed up to as much as 90 mph. I don't know if it's some kind of passive/aggressive competition and they don't want to get passed by a Porsche, or if it's a herd mentality and they don't even realize what they are doing. It's annoying either way. This happens every so often. Once I get a few car lengths past the offender, they typically slow down to their original speed.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:55 PM
HellaHashTags
Instructor

I haven't gotten any crazy reactions in the Porsche, and I like it that way. For the money, the 911 Turbo is one of the most understated sports cars you can buy (which is awesome if that's what you're looking for!) The average non-enthusiast can't tell the difference between a 911 Turbo and a base Boxster.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:34 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I have virtually no bad experiences, do get more than a few high fives (lots of high end cars in my 'hood). Still keep my windows open hoping for hawt wimmins to throw their panties at me, as a Porsche salesman once promised would be common, but no such luck so far.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:46 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The disbelief from a dude on a sport bike that I walked from a dig until we shut it down at ~140.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:55 AM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I was at a gas station when a couple walked up and asked if his wife can take a picture with the car. I walked back from the car and said shes all yours, then the wife turns to me and says oh by the way my name is Porsche and i love your car so i tell her well then i love your name then the husband steps in and says you want to trade Porsches?

Quick Reply: What's the craziest reaction you've seen from another driver in your 911 Turbo?