Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The best thing about PDK is... "Flooring it and holding on for dear life."

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 01:57 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 89 Posts

^^^ Yup, getting that 1-2 shift right is challenging.

I can tell you the difference in track lap times is pretty remarkable, from what I've experienced/observed. In a race a few weeks ago for example, where I finished 6th in my MT vintage race car, P1 and P2 were factory race cars with paddle shift (1 PDK Porsche, 1 Ferrari equivalent). P3-4-5 were modern watercooled MT Porsches (full race cars).

The flappy-paddle cars were around 5 seconds a lap quicker than the rest of us. Certainly not all transmission advantage, and driver counts for a ton, but a LOT of it is their basically instantaneous, full-throttle shift capability....
Old 04-12-2017, 04:05 PM
jazzwu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
I would agree with OP, i did love the TTS with PDK when I drove one. My dream garage would be to have my M Roadster manual back and a TTS. I do feel that is likely the best transmission for the car. Not knocking my TT 6speed, love it, but 1st gear is annoying without PDK and it disappears almost before you have time to shift.
if you wanna experience pdk again you're welcome to drive mine lol
Old 04-12-2017, 05:42 PM
RoundieTii
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For racing or traffic, it's hard to beat the speed and connivence of PDK. I think it's worth having for a track car or your stuck-in-a-commute daily driver, but if it's a weekend fun machine I have to go manual.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:53 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 441 Posts

Just to clarify, I mostly got the PDK because of knee problems so I get the "it's boring" aspect of PDK to most of you. Yeah, it's boring compared to rowing gears, but I still love it! Rowing gears is more thrilling for sure, but for a guy with bad knees like I have, it's fantastic to have PDK.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:45 AM
Southpaw
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Great post but I don't know "yet" how it feels. I took my car to Porsche over the weekend for a post PPI. I complained that my car appeared to have no boost and the acceleration was benign and linear in normal mode. I wasn't impressed. It seems someone in the past decided to remove the hoses and clamps that control my turbo airflow which prevent the turbo's from building boost pressure. According to Porsche this is very unusual and they don't even stock the parts to fix it. They must be special ordered from Germany. But the good new is I'm still under warranty, it will be fixed at no cost and as my SA said, it will absolutely transform your car. But until it's fixed I was warned to "go fast" because it will case the turbo's to grenade!
Why would anyone do this?! That's strange.. you mentioned you had a "post PPI" done, did you have a PPI PRE-purchase? If so, I'd demand my money back from whoever did the pre-purchase inspection. There's a boost gauge built in and I'd think they'd easily be able to check and see if it's making full boost or not just by looking at the gauge on quick accelleration.

As to the OP, the .2 is an absolute animal even stock and PDK is a huge reason why. You're enjoying it as you should. Those who say it's boring (and I agree it's less engaging compared to a manual) have to realize Porsche designed the turbo lineup to be a GT variant of the 911. It's been their technological version of the 911 since it's inception so PDK actually fits right in for the era it was introduced.
They designed a different 911 for those that want something more engaging....The GT3 (sans 991.1). N/A, RWD, manual, light weight, mechanical..as engaging they get for this era. If I wanted something more engaging, I'd get a 997 GT3.

In a perfect world, I'd have one of each... a loaded up turbo in PDK and an N/A, manual as a supplement. 997 GT3, air-cooled 911 or even a GT4.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:12 AM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

For anyone who thinks a PDK 997.2 is boring...well you just need a couple mods and that will change. Try driving a bolt-on 30psi boost stock turbo PDK car like this with PSM off all the time. I have raced for many years and this car takes full concentration and is an absolute blast. By contrast, I have a 991 Turbo S with even more power with upgraded turbos and it's boring in comparison.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:10 PM
jbendaou
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I too live in the DC area and I have to say I manual would drive me crazy. I hated driving my manual 3 series. I have no regrets driving a PDK 991.2. None.

Last edited by jbendaou; 03-23-2022 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-10-2024, 05:30 PM
bleffler
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

delete - posted to wrong thread

Last edited by bleffler; 09-10-2024 at 05:35 PM.

Quick Reply: The best thing about PDK is... "Flooring it and holding on for dear life."