Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Rennlist, P-car and a COBB OTS issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017 | 01:58 AM
strummr
Rennlist Member

Default New to Rennlist, P-car and a COBB OTS issue

Greetings RNlisters, new 997.2 TTS owner here.

Coming over from the GT-R side - swapped my '13 E85 FBO+ Black Edition GT-R for a '11 CPO black 91 TTS with PCCB, centerlocks, 17k a few weeks ago. The GT-R was halfway to an Alpha 12/TSM Elite level (ton of mods, but a few worth noting: ID1700 injectors, Fore stage 3 fueling system, 3" intakes, flex fuel system, full catless exhaust - SBD downpipes, 102mm titanium Boostlogic with quadzilla mid-pipe, ...etc.). Spent the last 3.5 years tuning on a COBB AP with 4 different tuners and ended with Tim Bailey (COBB). The car was making max power for stock motor/tranny/turbos, and all I needed was the motor/tranny work, turbos, which was scheduled with my tech, to get to my goal of 1300hp.

Extended post, starting with an introduction.

Bit of the vehicle/bike history: the past couple of decades, I've had some fun cars, a big-block, super rare '67 Cougar XR-7 GT, 69/71/92 Mustangs; including a crazy Cobra Jet, built block up, E39 M5, B6 S4 (stg3), FX45, X5 4.8is, C6 Z06, E92 M3, and a few hyper-modified bikes (ZX6, CBR900RR, Ducati 999bp) plus a bunch of, more pedestrian, commuters: 3 Nismo/Pro-4X Frontiers, A3 Sportback, GTi SE, X1 xDrive35i M pkg; and many others not worth noting, but with some modicum of the enthusiast angle. Every vehicle/bike received medium to heavy mods, with the exception of the A3, and trucks. Yes, I consider myself an enthusiast, and obviously love cars/bikes, with plans for the upcoming year or two for the last model year of the Vmax, a late 60s Mustang Pro-touring build, an aluminmum Raptor, and would love a 981 Cayman GTS 6MT as a daily. \m/ >_< \m/

Okay, so getting on with it, cue the epiphany at the end of February: considering that I rarely tapped half the power the GT-R, barely drove it 3-4k miles a year - the concept of owning what sounded louder than an uncorked racecar, coughing, spitting flames on its way to 1300+ hp, while living in a very congested suburb, the sillyness became real. So, revisited the my original goal of picking up a TTS, when I had bought the GT-R instead. (I succumbed to the allure/hype of easier/more robust tuning, and the crazy power potential) As fate would have it, despite the rarity, a 997.2 TTS came up locally the same week with the config I was looking for: coupe, PCCB, centerlock RS, low miles, certified.

The transition to the TTS from the GT-R has been interesting so far - considering the mods of the GT-R, I expected the drop-off in performance, but a bump in refinement, build quality and of course, braking. I have to admit all are as expected, but the performance drop off was more than expected. The TTS has the obvious, better interior (although I prefered the Recaro Black Edition seats in the GT-R), quality of build/materials, superior braking, and the iconic lineage. An amusing note to the experience: I no longer get many looks - in stark contrast to the crazies that would constantly chase me down to give me a thumbs up or find people taking pictures or gathered around the car when parked. (GT-Rs are uncommon around here) The suspension is also more compliant in the TTS, and the car feels, overall, smaller and more agile, despite the GT-R being an amazingly agile/precise car for its weight, and the AWD system really does feel like it's defying physics, when it comes to putting power to the ground - it was a crazy fast car. The TTS also has remarkable traction advantage, albeit in a completely different way.

My plan is to get the TTS to ~stage 2, 650/700hp level - at the upper limits of the stock motor and PDK? (would love to run E85, but probably not a good idea with a stock PDK) The COBB AP, a BMC panel filter to start, then I'll move onto an Europipe exhaust, and either AMS or do88 intercooler/piping/inlets and maximize a custom tune.

Okay on with the COBB map issue. Granted, I've only had the car a few weeks, and only a couple weeks running the COBB OTS stage 1 map, but I've had some wacky/disconcerting early results. Since getting the AP, I've reinstalled the COBB 3 times now, and every time I went back to stock, all the issues go away, so it is definitely with the COBB OTS map.

It usually starts with the first full boost pull, resulting in a stutter/shake/hesitation, when the revs hit 5-6k, then immediately following, the car going into either a wacky, zero-boost mode, or a 'valet'-like mode, with boost being limited to 4-5psi, in all configurations (normal/sport/sport plus, manual/auto, PCM on/off). It stays in either of the compromised modes, until the car is cycled off, which seems to 'reset' the map, which allows another, initial full boost run, which stutters or coughs, then goes right back into one of the compromised modes, until the next cycling. I can rev the motor throughout its rev range, change gears normally, but the boost gauge either shows zero or is capped to 4-5psi, depending on which 'mode' it limped to, and doesn't go back into normal, full boost mode. (it almost seems like the AP triggers a map change to the other maps found on the AP on its own: the valet map for one, but there isn't one that completely turns off all boost, just the theft map, which stops the engine being turned on - on the GT-R, map switching can be done using the steering wheel controls, but no such feature for the 997.2 Turbo/S AP, so there's no manual switching possible)

Again, it's early, and datalogging and a custom tune will eliminate the issue, but that'll take some time, and was wondering if anyone else is having similar or other issues with the COBB OTS maps for the 997.2 Turbo/S.

I never run OTS maps, but was hoping to run the stage 1 map until the mods were in place, at which time I'd start tuning with Tim Bailey. But it seems like I may need to run a custom map sooner, as the COBB OTS map doesn't seem to run well on my car.

Cheers

Quick Reply: New to Rennlist, P-car and a COBB OTS issue